Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626179 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9475 on: 02 December, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »
Last week the police in Strasbourg were out stopping unlit cyclists, but instead of swingeing 11€ fines they were passing out minimalist lighting kits consisting precisely of tiny LED bobby-dodgers, with a half-dozen 3M spoke reflectors.  Shows that they're more concerned with the law than safety - I'd have no confidence, riding with those things.

The Wet Midlands police (of close pass initiative fame) have a similar protocol, but the lights they're giving out are vaguely decent (at least from a be-seen perspective).  They're not setting out to catch unlit cyclists, either, on the basis that as traffic police they have more important things to do.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9476 on: 02 December, 2017, 10:11:02 pm »
Dear The BBC.

Pls to stop buggering around with your Friday night schedule, especially that of that nice Victoria Coren Mitchell. I want to watch Only Connect, not the poxy football.

ktxbai.
Dear the BBC. See what I wrote last week. Abstrads.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9477 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:06:01 pm »
Last week the police in Strasbourg were out stopping unlit cyclists, but instead of swingeing 11€ fines they were passing out minimalist lighting kits consisting precisely of tiny LED bobby-dodgers, with a half-dozen 3M spoke reflectors.  Shows that they're more concerned with the law than safety - I'd have no confidence, riding with those things.

The Wet Midlands police (of close pass initiative fame) have a similar protocol, but the lights they're giving out are vaguely decent (at least from a be-seen perspective).  They're not setting out to catch unlit cyclists, either, on the basis that as traffic police they have more important things to do.

I guess if they avoid one clean up at another RTA involving a cyclist, its a positive outcome
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9478 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:25:58 pm »

I guess if they avoid one clean up at another RTA involving a cyclist, its a positive outcome

I think it's basically that they've worked out what they're going to do if they do end up stopping an unlit cyclists (presumably in response to a specific complaint).  Giving out lights seems more likely to work than giving out FPNs.

Meanwhile, they can go after motorists for excessive speed, mobile phones and lack of insurance and so on, which  is more likely to reduce RTCs.

« Reply #9479 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:07:12 pm »
CAMRAMan Jr. I asked you to wash your Mum's car and you said 'I'll do it in 30 minutes'. An hour later, I remind you and you ask for 10 minutes more. OK, think I and go out to set up the hose and put detergent in the bowl & find the sponge. I go out and clean my bike that was well & truly crudded up from the cyclepaths I use near farmland. That takes a good 20 minutes. WTF, think I, I might as well wash the car myself, so I do. And about 3/4 of the way through, you decide to wander out. Well sunshine, too late, so no money.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9480 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »
Brother's latest Ryanair grumble:
A warning to those who fly Ryanair. I have HAD to fly them 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I tried the following experiment on all three flights. I order a coffee and pay with a 5 Euro note. The crew never have change but they always say they will return with change, but they never do. It's not about the money. Clearly dishonesty and theft is standard practice. If the crew on three flights is happy to be dishonest and steal it begs the question.... what else are they stealing?

Related,  perhaps?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/03/ryanair-crew-judged-against-strict-sales-targets-documents-show
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9481 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:05:46 pm »
Brother's latest Ryanair grumble:
A warning to those who fly Ryanair. I have HAD to fly them 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I tried the following experiment on all three flights. I order a coffee and pay with a 5 Euro note. The crew never have change but they always say they will return with change, but they never do. It's not about the money. Clearly dishonesty and theft is standard practice. If the crew on three flights is happy to be dishonest and steal it begs the question.... what else are they stealing?

Related,  perhaps?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/03/ryanair-crew-judged-against-strict-sales-targets-documents-show

Certainly fits with brother's experience and helps explain the Despicable Incident of the Sick Passenger.

« Reply #9482 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:46:40 am »
Could the person who conceived open plan offices also provide compulsory gags for all staff? Oh and a ban on using speakerphone mode in the office?

tired-of-working-with-earmuff-on

FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9483 on: 04 December, 2017, 10:09:30 am »
I worked in an open-plan office in 1975.  I doubt if the sadist who invented them is still around.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9484 on: 04 December, 2017, 12:37:45 pm »
Bah.
My stock response is to say I read the spec., looked at what it did/didn't cover and compared it with past riding practice.  So far so good.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9485 on: 04 December, 2017, 01:19:25 pm »
Not sure who is the culprit and the object of this rant, but it revolves around the filthy rural roads that I have to ride on at this time of year.

They are filthy because the increasingly large tractors the farmers use won't fit on the lanes, at least they won't if trying to pass anything wider than a bike - and sometimes not even then.  So the wheels go onto the soft verges, and muck is sprayed liberally across the road.  After a few vehicles have been along, there are the two, narrow reasonably clean wheel tracks, separated by a ridge of mud, hiding a range of thorns and gravel, all sufficient to have me off my recumbent if I am unwise enough not to have planned my ride so as to avoid having to cross this linear mountain range.

The corollary, is that the verges now look like Speilberg's remake of the Battle of The Somme, and the road is barely distinguishable from a ploughed field that's been home to a herd of cows after a couple of inches of November rain.

An modern cars are not much better, although admittedly they don't spread as much muck over the road as a mega-tractor towing a slurry tanker the size of my house.  My mum's old Mini was about as wide as an ICE trike. Then came the Elf  - n - Safety snowflake generation, with the side impact bars and airbags, all of which means that the current Mini is about as mini as a 1970's Ford Transit.

So whose fault is it?  The farmers for buying ever-wider tractors, the E-n-S brigade with ever larger cars, or the councils for not anticipating the trend for ever larger road vehicles and omitting to grub up all the hedges to widen the country lanes into A-road size carriageways?

Whosever fault it is, will you please stop running over the verges at this time of year 'cos it's bad for the environment and it's dangerous to cyclists - especially me.......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9486 on: 04 December, 2017, 01:54:26 pm »
Around here it's not so much the verges that supply the mud as the fields. The farmers pull out onto the road and bring several cwt of mud with them.

« Reply #9487 on: 04 December, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »
Ironically the larger tractors are used because they cause less damage to fields, don't chew up the ground so much.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9488 on: 04 December, 2017, 03:04:21 pm »
Ironically the larger tractors are used because they cause less damage to fields, don't chew up the ground so much.
I didn't know that. I thought it was because they were more efficient, covering a larger field area in the same time, but I can see larger wheels and wider axles might cause less damage to ground.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9489 on: 04 December, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »
My sympathies on that one tend to side with the farmer.  Their vehicle is (presumably) optimised for a job, and I tend to regard country lanes as their factory floor.

Modern cars are optimised for various things, but rarely the job they actually get used for.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9490 on: 04 December, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »
I must admit, I find the farmers around me to be quite bike friendly, after all, we are getting into or near their workplace, and a large part of their ever  expanding fields and machinery is at least partly due to our push for ever cheaper food.

That said, beet harvest season is particularly muddy as it goes right through the winter
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9491 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:08:11 am »
Radio 2

A Wombling Merry Christmas.

Please. Make it stop
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9492 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:16:36 am »
It's getting chilly in my office. Brigadier Nick's dog has gone to sleep with her head just in the way of shutting the door.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9493 on: 05 December, 2017, 12:59:13 pm »
Radio 2

Please. Make it stop

My partner LOVES that one!

We seldom listen to music radio though.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9494 on: 05 December, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
Radio 2

Please. Make it stop
Could be worse. Could be McCartney's dreadful little ditty.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9495 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:34:40 pm »
Radio 2

Please. Make it stop
Could be worse. Could be McCartney's dreadful little ditty.

Or Mariah.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9496 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:17:16 am »
Météo France does it again: 5°C & sunny forecast, 1°C and 10/10 misty overcast delivered. 5° I can ride in, 1° clobbers me. Haven't been out for a week, now.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9497 on: 07 December, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
Pisa check in have insisted my b&m foldon go through oversize even though it isn't above max in any dimension. On the way out here I was given the choice and opted to send it the oversize route in the hope of kinder handling. It arrived in perfect condition two nervous days after me.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #9498 on: 07 December, 2017, 01:17:19 pm »
Could have been in the overheard today thread but :

"With us expanding to new office space in the new year we need to start urgently thinking about things like how many Christmas trees we'll need next year"

I can't cope, somebody shoot me.   

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9499 on: 07 December, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
Dear ourquer de vache

Reasons for creating an Excel document do not include "I'm going to print it out landscape".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)