Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626060 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9800 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:16:36 pm »
bloody telephone conferencing; when you are asked to report, you talk away for 2-3 minutes then realise you can't hear anyone else shuffling or coughing, check, yup, you were disconnected. No idea at what point. So you have been sitting there rambling at a dead microphone for a while.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9801 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:57:54 pm »
or doing a Norman Collier impression
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9802 on: 08 March, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »
two watch straps broken in under a week, can't be arsed finding another watch in my drawer with a combination of strap and/or battery/windable.

I'll sit at my desk blissfully ignorant of what time it is and eat when I'm hungry. ( I think there's a Carly Simon song in there somewhere)

There's a display of the time on two analogue wall clocks, the cooker and clock radio from here so I only need to shift my gaze slightly. Then both my landline and mobile phones display the time if I press a button and there's the top of my computer display.

I can't stay unaware of the time for long.

I was similarly impressed.  I've got two clocks visible on my computer screens, not counting tailing logs with timestamps, or the time at the top of this page when it was loaded.  My desk phone shows the current time, as does my mobile for the next minute or so until the screen times out.  The LED matrix sign on the wall behind me is currently showing the time in the absence of anything more interesting.  I could probably just about read the clock on barakta's computer from here if I were wearing my glasses.

And that's not including anything I'd have to move to reach or interact with, of which there must be a dozen I can use without leaving the room.

I find I'm most ignorant of the time while I'm cycling, and even then it's there on my bike computer.  Or when I'm at barakta's mum's house, where all the clocks are assumed wrong until proven otherwise.

ian

« Reply #9803 on: 08 March, 2018, 06:00:05 pm »
bloody telephone conferencing; when you are asked to report, you talk away for 2-3 minutes then realise you can't hear anyone else shuffling or coughing, check, yup, you were disconnected. No idea at what point. So you have been sitting there rambling at a dead microphone for a while.

It's best excuse ever for missing your cue. When that important request to share my thoughts with the group comes through and I'm daydreaming, writing this, visiting the loo, making dinner, or the 1001 other things that are more interesting than the average conference call (which will end on the action point for another call). Oh really, sorry, I must have been cut-off. Or yes, didn't you hear me – oh no, I must have been on mute, didn't you hear anything?.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9804 on: 08 March, 2018, 06:59:31 pm »
What do you have to give them - a reservation number for your ticket? I wonder if they'd let you book a space without one.

He asked for my reservation number but it was useless to him because it was a Virgin Trains number rather than a Virgin East Coast number... So yes, effectively he booked it for me without being able to confirm that I had the ticket I claimed I had, which was very sporting of him.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9805 on: 09 March, 2018, 09:08:04 am »
Our local pharmacy has changed its supplier and the boxes the drugs are in are 3 times larger. My drug drawer won't close on them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9806 on: 09 March, 2018, 09:34:18 am »
Our local pharmacy has changed its supplier and the boxes the drugs are in are 3 times larger. My drug drawer won't close on them.
If it’s anything like my local pharmacy, you’ll work out how to accommodate the new box sizes and then they’ll change back to the original. It drives me mad when they do this...
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9807 on: 09 March, 2018, 02:41:50 pm »
Supplement to the Rubbish Collection subset of the Snow! thread: our collection is normally Friday morning, last week it was cancelled for obvious reasons and the said they would catch up missed collections by Wednesday. Which they didn't. They still haven't as of now. Possibly they will in the next couple of hours before they finish for the day, and they've said they're also working Saturdays, so more likely it will be tomorrow.

The point of this post is not to grumble about missed collections but to oggle at how thinly their resources must be stretched that two days of snow result in over a week's delay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9808 on: 11 March, 2018, 12:35:37 am »
Why is it that I have to be up at 06:30, am absolutely knackered but can't get a wink of sleep?

FFS!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9809 on: 11 March, 2018, 06:50:32 am »
Morning Eeyore ...      :D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9810 on: 11 March, 2018, 07:31:39 am »
Wake up Tors!  You've overslept.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9811 on: 11 March, 2018, 10:10:56 am »
Wake up Tors!  You've overslept.

Bloody didn't! 2nd stop of the day. Off darn sarf in a mo...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #9812 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:49:35 am »
The interface into this hardware bus is not documented; we have an implementation using it, but the customers may want to write their own. Programmers, can you write a psuedo-code description of how commands are written and data is read from the bus?

<programmer copies and pastes his (uncommented) code>

Right, that's useful. I really do have the spare time to read your code and distil it down to a description. It would take you less than 5 minutes to write 4-5 lines of psuedo code (or comment your code).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9813 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:58:06 pm »
Comments in code? That's soooo 1990s
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9815 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »
Sigh....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43372084

Even fewer brits to pick fruit, serve coffee and wipe the arses of the brexidiots in their care homes then.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9816 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »
Waited all afternoon for technician to come and check my bath lift. Nobody came.
Phoned Millbrook Healthcare at 16.58 to ask what was happening.
They said they had nothing scheduled for me.
Which was odd as THEY had rung on Monday to arrange this.

David thinks these routine visits are a total waste of time and we should not have them.
I fear Millbrook would remove my bath lift if we didn't let them check it.

Hope they come on Friday!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9817 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:43:14 pm »
Grr. How incompetent and rude.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9818 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:10:08 pm »
Apparently the woman who rang me on Monday is new in the job. Seems she's less than competent. (Undertrained is charitable.) She phoned, then failed to enter my 'booking' into the system; suboptimal...

barakta

« Reply #9819 on: 15 March, 2018, 07:24:33 am »
Ah "individual staff error" my FAVOURITE excuse from companies about any customer service and often disability discrimination fail... It's usable multiple times and never wears out...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9820 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:03:19 am »
Ah "individual staff error" my FAVOURITE excuse from companies about any customer service and often disability discrimination fail... It's usable multiple times and never wears out...
But it does not discharge the company’s responsibilities of duty of care and should harm come to a customer as a result of the individuals shortcoming it will be the company that is held responsible. IF of course anyone is able and can be bothered to take them to task of course.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

« Reply #9821 on: 15 March, 2018, 04:09:43 pm »
They'll bleat individual error right up to and during court.

A friend lost a disability discrim case where the company made 7 mistakes in 2 years.. The judge decided that was "oopsie" and therefore not discrim. It is very hard to argue with a judge who is plain wrong cos they decided not to like the claimant.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9822 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:38:32 am »
Hogg Robinson Group (see Grumbles passim)

We have to use the HRG webshite for booking Travel at Public Expense. Why, when booking tickets this morning, do they show the Any Time Return from Arlesey to London UndergrounD zone 1 as being £4.90 CHEAPER than the Off-Peak version?

Tory Mantra: Privatise for Greater Efficiency and Cost Savings

Guy: Hollow laughter

PS My itinerarary for my trip last week saw me arrive in Andover an hour earlier than the HRG itinereray, and I was at home making a cup of tea at the time HRG would have had me arriving at Hitchin station.

Conclusion: HRG are rubbish
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9823 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:13:30 am »
I have, by dint of walking while insufficiently awake, managed to stab myself in the right achillea with the horny big toenail of my left foot.  Hard enough to draw blood :'(

Owwwwwwwwww!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9824 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:11:45 pm »
<Monty Python> "...and Oliver has RUN HIMSELF OVER!"

Sorry, Mr. L...
VELOMANCER