Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814180 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22625 on: 18 August, 2019, 06:15:34 pm »
5 miles around Slough. My get up and go had gone before I got started 🙄
the slower you go the more you see

essexian

« Reply #22626 on: 19 August, 2019, 08:06:56 am »
Nothing excessive in the grand scheme of things but it was nice to do 50km over two rides this weekend, the fourth and fifth ride back from injury.

The first took me from Newport Town FC ground to Gnosall and back, out via the “hilly” route and back along the disused railway path. I’ve not been along the path in about a year. Its really sad that the council spent so much to resurface it but have no money for its upkeep. In places the path is now less than a metre wide due to plant growth and soon may be impassable again. Newport beat Coven 4-2 in the match.

Sunday saw me do one of my favourite rides from Haughton down to Penkridge then over to Church Eaton before returning to Haughton….surprisingly there was a headwind all the way! What pleased me most about this ride was that I averaged over 12mph for the first time since my return…..okay, 12.03mph but the 0.03 is important to me!

My back and neck are quite painful at the moment but hey ho, its good to be back, despite being so slow!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22627 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:56:30 am »
Yesterday, another of those rides where my power simply tanked at ~10km. Shoved in a banana/almond bar & did another 5 before jacking it in and going home.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #22628 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:17:02 pm »
I'm starting to enjoy cycling again! Okay, just 20km after w*rk but I managed to find a lane I have never cycled on before: Sherdicote Lane, just south of Bradley.

What a lovely lane....okay the surface was horrid but there was a lovely slope from the south which was the type which makes you work without pulling your legs off.

Not the fastest ride ever but just turning your legs over and earning your chip tea....CBH is out tonight...makes it all worthwhile.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22629 on: 20 August, 2019, 07:40:54 pm »
I'm starting to enjoy cycling again! Okay, just 20km after w*rk but I managed to find a lane I have never cycled on before: Sherdicote Lane, just south of Bradley.

What a lovely lane....okay the surface was horrid but there was a lovely slope from the south which was the type which makes you work without pulling your legs off.

Not the fastest ride ever but just turning your legs over and earning your chip tea....CBH is out tonight...makes it all worthwhile.  :thumbsup:

I’d avoid it in winter though - mixture of floods and deep cow leavings!

« Reply #22630 on: 20 August, 2019, 07:47:47 pm »
A slow Potter with jhonathan notp to Marlow and back. A very pleasant warm sunny ride  :)

« Reply #22631 on: 20 August, 2019, 11:20:28 pm »
A stiff ride tonight, there were 6 of us - 43km and 1,050m of climbing.

From Sheffield up to Stocksbridge and up Pea Royd Lane, through some lanes and back via Midhopestones. A quick break for a pint at Ye Olde Mustard Pot and back via High Bradfield. Lovely stuff!

« Reply #22632 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:29:38 pm »
6 of us on a ride out to the outskirts of Cambridge and back. Scary bit of Ermine Street on the way back with heavy artics far too close, one incidence of which we are going to formally complain about,  as he nearly sucked a rider under his wheels,  but this stretch is somewhat unavoidable for the route as they always seem to forget the cycle path or indeed pedestrians when building a bypass (and there being a strip of at least 10 feet of ground to the side of the road). Took the tourer as my road bike chainset chatter needs sorting,  it therefore seemed to be quite hard work compared to normal. Otherwise wonderful ride in perfect weather.

Some excitement before riding out, our local helicopter med team landed in a local park very near to my house. I don't know why and nothing has been reported in the local media. We did watch the vehicle take off later whilst sipping coffee at our local meeting place. Local kids were most chuffed, should have taken photo, oh well.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22633 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:36:09 pm »
I'm starting to enjoy cycling again!
Enough said!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22634 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:15:48 pm »
Took the Moser with S-A 5sp hub for its first ride (which was a sort of "shakedown" ride). Out about 3 hours for 45 kms according to Openrunnner but there was a lot of faff readjusting and retightening things that should not have needed it. Problems started 5m from the front gate with a flattish rear tyre. Why can't I get the gear cable adjustment to stay right when I take it off and put it back (and I really should use my reading specs to get it right!). All in all a nice little ride with co-operative wind. The hub is as sweet as a nut in 1,3 and 5 and a bit of a scratchy beast in 2 and 4 (pity as I set it up with 2 and 4 as the important working ratios). Brucey is right, you do have to overchange, particularly going from 2 to 1, 5th didn't seem to play up in the same way. And it doesn't like backpedalling before starting from lights, skips a beat when restarting before settling down as if nothing had happened. An AW hub is still probably easier to live with but I am going to have fun with this one over the winter. 5th is particularly nice and smooth, I may change the gearing to make it more useful. At present I have an 84" (6.7m for the Europhiles), putting on a 22t sprocket gives 80" and 67" in 4th which might be better. (I know, I am a wimp pedalling baby gears  :facepalm: )

Edit: A day late but still a photo is nice. This building is meant to be a bridge but not much water flowing in the drought

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22635 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:39:10 pm »
120k toddle with El Prez to local hilltop tourist trap. Usual sort of El Prez ride with me dawdling on the flat to conserve his battery, then me gasping up the long climbs while he sails away blithely ins blaue hinein.  At cake stop had a Paris-Brest in honour of my wind-blown chums sweating away in the western marches of this fair land.  Saw a lizard about the size of a toothpick, many tractors hauling pig product and one in full cathartic splatter, did one climb (mercifully short) over a carpet of pine-needles, slipping and sliding all over. Reckon the drought's killing them.  Had a cracking headwind all the way home - it was supposed to drop to zilch by three but never made it.  Had a great game of Audax roulette for the last 40k. Won.

Sore legs now but when ever not? Fun ride.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22636 on: 24 August, 2019, 12:15:56 pm »
Yes, at 5 am as it was too damn warm to sleep (the Garmin said 16C).

A nice, fast, rolling 10 miles
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22637 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:18:01 am »
Rode out to St Albans and back with a friend. 63 miles.  :)

essexian

« Reply #22638 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:41:10 pm »
My return to cycling carries on a pace...well, a slow pace but it carries on at least with my longest ride since my return: 21 miles. Okay, not huge in the grand scheme of things but comfortable in the sun/warmth.

And, yet again a new lane. Starkeys Lane near Wheaton Aston. I was not planning to go that way but Lapley Lane was closed so diverted along there as the plan was to go back to Penkridge via the aforementioned village. Trust me, I won't be rushing to go back that way as frankly the lane was almost impassable for a normal road bike.

Returning to Lapley Lane to take a sit on my favourite roadside bench, it was funny to note how many cars ignored the "Road Closed" signs only to have to return several minutes later when they found that the sign actually applied to them!  :facepalm:

Finally, my average speed is on the increase as I was a massive 0.04mph faster this Sunday than last! I'm still 15% below where I want to be but it will come with more riding/some weight loss!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22639 on: 25 August, 2019, 03:28:16 pm »
Yes.  I think I caught fire.

« Reply #22640 on: 25 August, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »
I thought I was going to catch up with a soot-equipped coureur while I fetched the bread, just to say "hello" but then he ignored two red lights.
Then I went out for a more real ride on the Gitane which now has 165mm cranks back on to try and counter painful rubbing in a painful sort of place. The idea was to check/set up the saddle height in real conditions. It needs to be sorted before the club trip to the Auvergne in 10 days time.(I could put a triple on the Vitus which I know is ok but the SLX sp brakes on the Gitane are so much better than the 600 dps on the Vitus).
Result - a short ride of 39kms in just under 2 hours plus a faffing stop to put the saddle a bit higher. I forgot to reset the counter but could remember everything from the last 100. Nice to get around 20km/h even though that wasn't the object and it didn't feel fast.
I think the rubbing is getting sorted, much better now than it was :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22641 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »
Out today with SWMBO, kids and carers to Thetford Forest. To  avoid one of us having to sit in the dicky seat in the boot, or take two cars, I rode over there  :thumbsup:.

Did the Go Ape with daughter and Mrs ED, had lunch and then rode back in the heat.  Cool shower, coffee and a litre of fluids later and my head is still a bit fuzzy and that's with 2x750ml bottles each way.  Garmin said 35.x degrees on the way back. 

Totals 40km there, 50km back. 
Nice light winds so I managed to keep up a brisk clip at a 28.2kmh average, on the roadbike.  The 50km back only took about 15min longer due to the wind directions.

Reason for road bike was I'm hacked off struggling to get the Cbruzbike into the car and haven't got hold of a bike rack yet. Wanted to see if my back and hips would hold up, which they did.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #22642 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:35:09 pm »
Yes, only 3 miles each way to the football but I think I have melted!!!!

Seriously, who finds riding in this heat enjoyable?

Anyway, easy victory for Brocton over local rivals (and a team I dislike) Stafford Town so worthwhile.

« Reply #22643 on: 26 August, 2019, 06:41:57 pm »
11 miles locally including a Potter around black Park. Another nice warm day  :)

Phil W

« Reply #22644 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:01:30 pm »
Yes to a pub that decided to stop serving food earlier than advertised. Now back and baking omelettes .

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22645 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:47:15 pm »
Unlike other people, I haven't actually found it that hot today. Probably mostly because I just tootled along the BBRP into Bath, ate a sandwich and came back; a lot of that is in the shade of trees. Also spent some time sitting on a bench with a book.  8)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22646 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:15:06 pm »
I definitely noticed the difference when I went through shaded areas
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22647 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:31:21 pm »
41 miles along the seafront to Bexhill and then home inland via Ninfield and Catsfield to bag a couple Veloviewer squares.

Rather hot but a decent ride although some of the driving and 'parking' along the Cooden Beach road was a little interesting.

I don't think I've cooled down yet mind - maybe setting off at midday wasn't the best plan.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22648 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:03:55 am »
Seriously, who finds riding in this heat enjoyable?

It was quite pleasant when I rode home (mostly downhill) at about 10pm.

But yeah, riding in this heat tends to make me a bit unwell after a few hours.  It's still somewhat preferable to sitting around in this heat, because at least when I'm cycling I expect to be hot, and there's a bit of airflow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22649 on: 27 August, 2019, 10:02:39 am »
I've been out, if you could call it that.  No food for previous 12 hours 'cos being let blood this morning for doc to tut-tut over, then a banana/chocolate sarnie & onto the bike.  Sarnie obviously didn't work fast enough for I conked out on the first climb & crawled home. A sparkling 5.75 km. Mañana is also a day, as me old pal Georg used to say.