Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391027 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1125 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:11:19 pm »
I didn't get one of those...

Meh, I'll drop the organiser an email at a later date. They've better things to do than be harrassed by me!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #1126 on: 07 October, 2018, 11:25:12 am »

Meh, I'll drop the organiser an email at a later date. They've better things to do than be harrassed by me!

What happened?

I assume the orgs holidaying or somesuch. I'm in the same boat for tomorrow, so have dropped an email.
 I'm gonna ride anyway - good day for a ride to the coast, regardless of validation.
Rule 77

« Reply #1127 on: 07 October, 2018, 04:04:40 pm »

What happened?

I assume the orgs holidaying or somesuch. I'm in the same boat for tomorrow, so have dropped an email.
 I'm gonna ride anyway - good day for a ride to the coast, regardless of validation.
Not sure.

Haven't chased the organisers up yet, i did enter without much time  to spare and these  guys are volunteers and all.

was a nice ride, COLD though :)

« Reply #1128 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:26:03 am »
Some perm rides available, Ok one I looked at, was substantially underdistance between controls (gmaps walking).  How does this work, are there additional control specified by the organiser?  Just on etiquette, is contacting the organiser required, if for instance, one thought about turning it into a MDIYxGPS?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1129 on: 09 October, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »
Might be a 'legacy' ride where gmaps not used?
Best to talk to the organiser to clarify.

« Reply #1130 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:13:52 am »
Thanks.  I found the Perm website details online; didn't realise that info controls existed on Perms though.  As it turns out I may do significant detours to call in on in-laws, so will probably ride something similar, but with different 'controls', as a MDIYxGPS...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1131 on: 10 October, 2018, 12:24:15 pm »
Some older perms also don't have all the controls listed, presumably just human error.

INFOs were allowed backintheday, so that's possible too.

[ Of course you could just ask your local perm organisers/riders, as they might already know about this ride? :)   ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1132 on: 15 October, 2018, 02:12:18 pm »
Hi, can you ride a permanent route but start and finish at a different location on that route? I have a few local to me that pass by my house that I would like to do but they start 30KM away, not sure if that matters or not? Thanks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1133 on: 15 October, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
Check with the individual organiser. They say yes more often than not.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1134 on: 15 October, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
They will probally ask for proofs from wherever you start & finish. Helpful if you live between controls or accessing the route from a station between controls.

Orgs are generally fairly laid back about these things, though some will insist you start at 2am from a specified location, whatever, for logistical reasons which are not necessarily immediatly obvious.

« Reply #1135 on: 15 October, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »
Great, thank you for that, I'll get in touch with the organiser.

« Reply #1136 on: 16 October, 2018, 10:09:57 am »
How long would you leave it before chasing up an ECE? Not that I'm arsed about the point mind, more I'd rather know if I cocked it up so I know for future reference...

(I did cock it up. Or at least the people who built the new bridge over the Wear cocked it up, the usual 100km round trip to Ponteland is now only 98km  :facepalm:).

« Reply #1137 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:44:39 pm »
If I do a diy by gps (mandatory route), and take my youngest on a tag-along (basically tandem), I assume we both get validation, even though there is just one track log?

What if I take the other along (on a solo bike), still only one gps... but now three riders...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1138 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:53:06 pm »
I think you need a GPX file each.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #1139 on: 18 October, 2018, 08:48:45 am »
I would expect a tandem only needs one GPX file (i.e. the same file is used for both submissions) but a separate solo rider would be expected to submit their own GPX file.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1140 on: 18 October, 2018, 09:31:50 am »
A photo or two can be helpful.

« Reply #1141 on: 18 October, 2018, 05:41:34 pm »
I don't know if the rules have changed in the last few years, but it used to e that each rider needed their own track even on a tandem.
California Dreaming

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1142 on: 18 October, 2018, 05:45:41 pm »
Yup
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1143 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:11:23 am »
I have a quickie about riding perms that have AAA points with GPS validation. Basically are AAA points affected by deviation from the route?

Presumably if you were validating in the traditional way with brevet card, deviating from the route a little to miss a stinger of a climb in favour of a slightly gentler one would be fine and no one would know in any case, if you're validating with a GPS file could the organiser take a dim view of this?

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #1144 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:42:53 pm »
I have a quickie about riding perms that have AAA points with GPS validation. Basically are AAA points affected by deviation from the route?

Presumably if you were validating in the traditional way with brevet card, deviating from the route a little to miss a stinger of a climb in favour of a slightly gentler one would be fine and no one would know in any case, if you're validating with a GPS file could the organiser take a dim view of this?

AIUI, the route is designed so you can't really get around the climbing. Yes the climb around might be gentler, but the net result will still be X000m of climbing, hence you quite often find controls at the top of a hill.

I have certainly been validated with GPS on at least one perm where I definitely went off route for the last 25km but still controlled where I needed to control.

If in doubt, ping the org.

Rule 77

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1145 on: 30 October, 2018, 06:49:51 pm »
I have certainly been validated with GPS on at least one perm where I definitely went off route for the last 25km but still controlled where I needed to control.

If it's not a mandatory route (most perms are not) then obviously you can do that.
If its not a DIY then the AAA points attached to the Permanent would stand, regardless of deviations.
If it is a mandatory route then deviation from the route could mean the whole ride is not valid, never mind the AAA.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1146 on: 30 October, 2018, 07:00:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies, presumably it is plainly obvious on the AUK webpage for the event if it is a mandatory route?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1147 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:18:35 pm »
can anyone remind me what i need to do for a brm event completed abroad to show up on my auk account. the homologation list is here

Send an e-mail to the recorder.   Or use the contact form on the AUK website.

thanks rob, i've sent a message to the recorder, but no reply or updates yet to my "results" in almost a month..

« Reply #1148 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:46:58 pm »
can anyone remind me what i need to do for a brm event completed abroad to show up on my auk account. the homologation list is here

thanks rob, i've sent a message to the recorder, but no reply or updates yet to my "results" in almost a month..

Results are back up as of today. Each year there is a period when they become unavailable due to end of year processing (ie during October). This year's seems to have been longer than prior years, but it looks like everything is done now.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1149 on: 31 October, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »

Results are back up as of today. Each year there is a period when they become unavailable due to end of year processing (ie during October). This year's seems to have been longer than prior years, but it looks like everything is done now.
yes, i've checked the results today, hence this little note