Author Topic: New bike?  (Read 4981 times)

New bike?
« on: 09 September, 2008, 11:07:52 pm »
Since I have rather an old Hurricane from circa 2000, so old that even Darth Stuart couldn't recognise what kind of bike it was, I've been thinking of getting a new bike next year.  The choices are, so far:

Hurricane SL
Fujin SLII
Some sort of carbon upright road bike

My main use is for a long commute, and I'll need to carry skates and other crap.  I have a storage solution being the tailbox on my current bike, which would probably fit right onto a Hurricane SL.  I'm less sure about the looks of a Fujin with a novosport box, or how such a light bike would like carrying all the stuff I tend to carry in my tailbox.  What does the panel think?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Becky

Re: New bike?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »
Burrows 18/20 Ratcatcher?

The Fujin SLII seems like a good bike but Challenge's chain management is still not quite sorted, from what I've heard.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2008, 03:37:52 pm »
I have no chain management problems on my SL II, but I wouldn't use it for commuting. Apart from anything else, I don't know whether it would even be possible to attach a tailbox to its carbon/kevlar seat.

An SL I (they're still available) has an aluminium seat, and might be a better bet?

And the new Seiran-24 or Furai models might be particularly good in traffic - I know you cope just fine on the Hurri, but going lower than that seems (to me, anyway) likely to be counter-productive for the intended use?
Profit or planet?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 03:40:21 pm »
How much might you be wanting for your old Hurri?

I mean -  'a friend of mine' might be interested... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2008, 04:11:44 pm »
Cheers Hurrumph!  That's the other option I forgot to put in, a Seiran, but probably a big wheeled one.  It has to be light anyway, I'm getting sick of climbing hills at 5mph with a 30kg bike (well, including my work crap).

Clarion, ooh, I'll remember.  Probably nothing will happen till spring/summer next year though.  New baby about to arrive and all, and I won't be earning very much over the autumn and winter.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2008, 04:15:04 pm »
That'd be as well, since I have almost exactly £Bugger.All to spend over the next few months ;D
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2008, 01:42:11 am »
Don't go for Challenge >:(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:42:50 am »
Don't go for Challenge >:(

I know matey, I feel exactly the same way you do about their customer service.  I hate it!!!!!!!111

OTOH their bikes are certainly very stylish and attractive to me, and I'm a tart, so this is important to me.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2008, 02:07:18 am »
You know you want a Baron ;)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tiger

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
The Fujin SL2 is not intended for luggage carrying - or indeed commuting I think. It is a racer of fast audax type ride. Mind you it is a blast around town and seriously freaks the roadies. For commuting I reckon you need a more bombproof, rugged design that can take a bit of wear without demanding too much love. I use a speedmachine and reckon its brill for commuting. loads of luggage capacity, built by germans and moves OK when up to speed.

Re Challenge - I know Valiant has had some problems but I have to say the service from Holland I have had is simply brilliant. They send spare parts direct to me based on email and in many cases don't charge.  I even get emails asking how the bike is going! 

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2008, 05:47:05 pm »
Maybe you can ask for some mudguards and spokes on my behalf and I'll pay you back?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2008, 08:58:29 pm »
The speedmachine isn't going to be any quicker than my Hurricane, I think.  Both are panzer weight, and that's exactly what I don't want.  I am sick of 30kg of bike and work crap on every uphill, and I'm sure I can halve that with a decent lightweight bike.

« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2008, 10:13:35 pm »
If you wanted luggage capacity sometimes, and speed others, you could always put something like a Yak Bob on the back of an otherwise nippier bike, and have the ability to switch.  I've used my Bob on both the 700C Pompino and the 16" Brompton wheels, so wheel size shouldn't be an issue.  When you're not using the Bob, there is only a slight weight penalty from the special quick release spindle, and you could swap that for a standard one when not using the Bob, if you really worried about the few extra grammes!

Admittedly, it would confuse and surprise car drivers, but most recumbents do that anyway!
Actually, it is rocket science.

richie_b

« Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2008, 12:12:11 am »
Burrows 18/20 Ratcatcher?

The Fujin SLII seems like a good bike but Challenge's chain management is still not quite sorted, from what I've heard.

The chain management seems fine on my SLII on seriously dented Glasgow roads...  (2008 model, so it seems to be sorted)

BentMikey, not sure what weight you are, but an SLII with a Novosport Tailbox gives quite some room & weight for commuting.  I use my SLII for commuting, but tend to do it without much stuff.

A Fujin SLII with a tailbox is surely the best bike ever (as long as rider & luggage < 100kg)

(Novosport now do a carbon Fujin tailbox which isn't on the website, just ask them)

« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2008, 07:23:40 am »
A Fujin SLII with a tailbox is surely the best bike ever (as long as rider & luggage < 100kg)

(Novosport now do a carbon Fujin tailbox which isn't on the website, just ask them)

Yes, something like that is my thoughts too.  I sooooo like the novosport box I have on my Hurricane, it's really really excellent.  I think they've recently put up the fujin box, btw.

Tim, thanks, but I think a trailer would be overkill and return me to the big weight of my current bike.  A tailbox is a very good solution for my needs, perhaps almost too much space.  It's only my skates, helmet, some extra clothing, toolkit, chalk and lunch that I'm usually carrying.

« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2008, 08:10:58 am »
I am sick of 30kg of bike and work crap on every uphill, and I'm sure I can halve that with a decent lightweight bike.

Mike, I think that you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment...

Think about it... The basic Hurricane weighs about 15kg. That suggests that your 30kg all-up weight is half-bike, half-load. To halve your all-up weight, your new bike will have to be... er... 0 kg.  :o

Also, don't forget your own body weight. I don't know how big you are, but for the sake of argument, let's assume a wraith-like 60kg... Bike+rider = 60+30 = 90kg. I'm inclined to think that you'll do well to save 5kg off the Hurri., if you want to keep some luggage capacity: 5/90 = a 5.5% weight saving. If you're my size  (:'(), that would be 5/125 = 4%.

Is it really worth the hassle and expense?  :-\
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Tiger

« Reply #16 on: 14 September, 2008, 11:27:01 am »
Phil - respect the maths but I ride both a Speedmachine panzer-weight and also a Fujin SL2 super lightweight. Overall I am several MPH faster on any given terrain on the Fujin. On a 200 Audax it is about an hour and a half faster. Even with touring tyres and luggage. Masses faster uphill - and get much further up the hill before going anaerobic.

Richie - are you riding the SL2 with the novosport carbon box? I would be really interested to know how long, and how it feels as that was exactly what I wanted to do. But the guys at Challenge told me not to as they reckoned the load leverage would overwhelm the frame. I use Radical minibags on teh fujin for audaxes but would like the aero benefit of the box.
FYI - I have bust a Fujin Frame at the rear fork and they replaced it with the new reinforced frame which is holding up well so far. If I could tailbox the bike I would.

« Reply #17 on: 14 September, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
It is kind of odd, and almost flies in the face of logic, that reducing the weight of a bike by what is a small percentage of the overall weight of bike and rider does seem to have a significant effect.

In the past I've found dropping the pannier, and just carrying the minimal toolkit makes the bike apparently glide along effortlessly, and it isn't that much weight, although I guess there's an aerodynamic advantage as well.

I can't help thinking that it has to be partly psychological, but it's still an effect, and often surprisingly worthwhile.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #18 on: 14 September, 2008, 08:37:04 pm »
Mike, I think that you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment...

Think about it... The basic Hurricane weighs about 15kg. That suggests that your 30kg all-up weight is half-bike, half-load. To halve your all-up weight, your new bike will have to be... er... 0 kg.  :o

More like about 17kg for mine, it's an older model, old enough that Darth Stuart didn't recognise it.  Add 3-4kg for the box, and the remaining 10kg is work stuff.  Take an 8.6 kg bike, add a 2kg carbon box, and drop some of my work kit to say 7kg, and that's a lot better, very nearly half.

richie_b

« Reply #19 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:35:55 pm »

Richie - are you riding the SL2 with the novosport carbon box? I would be really interested to know how long, and how it feels as that was exactly what I wanted to do. But the guys at Challenge told me not to as they reckoned the load leverage would overwhelm the frame. I use Radical minibags on teh fujin for audaxes but would like the aero benefit of the box.
FYI - I have bust a Fujin Frame at the rear fork and they replaced it with the new reinforced frame which is holding up well so far. If I could tailbox the bike I would.

Tiger
I have a 2008 frame which is supposed to be a lot stronger in the rear fork area.
I haven't got a tailbox, but spoke extensively with both Novosport & Ben at Kinetics (the UK dealer) & neither saw a problem at all.  I'd speak to Novosport direct....
I went for the boxless bike in the end 'cos I wanted to ride a road-bike-weight bike again.  & it was really worth it :thumbsup:
Fantastic machine!  Especially now that Challenge appear to have sorted out the various mechanicals...

« Reply #20 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:37:44 pm »
Ulrich at novosport recently mentioned that tailboxes were fine on the SL series, but that it was recommended to have some support from the frame as well as the seat.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2008, 04:06:30 am »
17kg?! The Concept is 14kg and that's the standard version with a bit of the boom chopped off. WTF is your hurricane made of? I always assumed it  was a whippy little machine! Do you really need to carry 15kg?

Support Equilibrium

Tiger

« Reply #22 on: 15 September, 2008, 11:29:24 am »

Tiger
I have a 2008 frame which is supposed to be a lot stronger in the rear fork area.
I haven't got a tailbox, but spoke extensively with both Novosport & Ben at Kinetics (the UK dealer) & neither saw a problem at all.  I'd speak to Novosport direct....
I went for the boxless bike in the end 'cos I wanted to ride a road-bike-weight bike again.  & it was really worth it :thumbsup:
Fantastic machine!  Especially now that Challenge appear to have sorted out the various mechanicals...
Yes I now have the 2008 frame having gone therough 2 previous frames that did not have the reinforced rear fork gusset.  Although it does need a bit of TLC I reckon it is a brilliant machine. I am interested in taolboxiong it though as I think it may go even faster - but worried that the box weight will undermine the uphill performance which is always my weak spot.

richie_b

« Reply #23 on: 15 September, 2008, 11:16:40 pm »

Yes I now have the 2008 frame having gone through 2 previous frames that did not have the reinforced rear fork gusset.  Although it does need a bit of TLC I reckon it is a brilliant machine. I am interested in tailboxiong it though as I think it may go even faster - but worried that the box weight will undermine the uphill performance which is always my weak spot.

I felt the same about the tailbox & the hills: I'm not a natural climber at 1.92m & 75kg; so really didn't appreciate the extra 7-8kg that a normal 'bent gives you over a road bike/lightweight 'bent. 

If I find a few thousand down the back of the sofa, I'd get another Fujin & tailbox it, however, just now, I'm happy to live with it as is (well, with a new front wheel (thread to follow)).

Tiger

« Reply #24 on: 16 September, 2008, 04:53:14 pm »

Yes I now have the 2008 frame having gone through 2 previous frames that did not have the reinforced rear fork gusset.  Although it does need a bit of TLC I reckon it is a brilliant machine. I am interested in tailboxiong it though as I think it may go even faster - but worried that the box weight will undermine the uphill performance which is always my weak spot.

I have had to replace both wheels - the lightweight ones didn't last.

I felt the same about the tailbox & the hills: I'm not a natural climber at 1.92m & 75kg; so really didn't appreciate the extra 7-8kg that a normal 'bent gives you over a road bike/lightweight 'bent. 

If I find a few thousand down the back of the sofa, I'd get another Fujin & tailbox it, however, just now, I'm happy to live with it as is (well, with a new front wheel (thread to follow)).