Author Topic: Fargo - no, the TV series  (Read 6836 times)

Re: Fargo - no, the TV series
« Reply #25 on: 13 October, 2015, 07:24:37 am »
I was still in the Gulag when S1 was first shown and am therefore taking steps to catch up.  Dr Larrington recommended it at the time.

As there is only a tenuous link between the two series - and series 2 takes place before series 1 - I don't think it matters too much about catching up!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »
Well, ep1 of the new series was superb. The waffle house scene was both laugh-out-loud funny and stomach-churningly grim at the same time. What more could you ask for?

You don't need to have seen the previous series but there are some connections you'll only appreciate if you have.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:48:24 am »
Yep, it was a cracker.

What more could I ask for? well ... there seem to be far more actors/resses doing The Authentic Fargo Accent than in S1. I don't know how many are doing it well* , but some are bloody irritating and actually hard to make out when they're at low volume. I'd find it easier to watch with more typical US movie mid-west/mid-american accents - I know, typical monolinguist Brit, yada yada !

It must be harder to do dialogue well in an accent that's new to you. Shirley? 

(Great to see Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec pop-up - he could be a right scream. And he does the same accent :) )

*(as in authentically. Of course I dont know anyone from that region to compare! They just sound like Martin Freeman's character. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #28 on: 23 October, 2015, 06:11:54 pm »
Not as good as the first series.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:34:55 pm »
I thought the waffle house scene summed up the feel of the film pretty well. Possibly apart from the lights in the sky....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »
I thought the waffle house scene summed up the feel of the film pretty well. Possibly apart from the lights in the sky....
I'd forgotten about the lights... WTF?? They seemed to be a pretty obvious UFO. was this some hilarious reference that went straight over my head?

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 23 October, 2015, 08:14:15 pm »
I'd forgotten about the lights... WTF?? They seemed to be a pretty obvious UFO. was this some hilarious reference that went straight over my head?

The Man Who Wasn't There?

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:53:03 pm »

Really? After one episode?

« Reply #33 on: 08 December, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »
Anybody here still watching this? This series just gets better and better: last night's episode was a cracker!

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 08 December, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »
Yes, but I'm 3 or 4 episodes behind. Too much telly to keep track of at the moment.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 08 December, 2015, 05:17:11 pm »
Anybody here still watching this? This series just gets better and better: last night's episode was a cracker!

I know you don't need to have watched S1 to watch this but I haven't watched either yet.  S2 has been the subject of Strange and Terrible experiments involving pulling it off the PVR, editing out the adverts and converting it to a Plex-digestible format.  I predict a Fargothon between Christmas and New Year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #36 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:16:27 pm »

I take it back. It's improved as the plotlines developed. This week's was excellent, building up to a great finale.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #37 on: 15 December, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »
Saw my first episode of the new series last night (well part of it), and it's weird isn't it? What's with the alien ship!!!? Half the cast must have been shot dead surely!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #38 on: 15 December, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »
What's with the alien ship!!!?

??? ??? I lost the plot there too
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #39 on: 15 December, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »
The spaceship featured in the first episode too, and there's been subtle references to it throughout - for example, the 'We are not alone' sticker above the shopkeeper's car key holder. Not that this tells us why it's there, or anything.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #40 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:54:13 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg reckons that the n00b would be better advised to watch S2 before S1.  Can Thee Panel comment on whether this is trufax or eine Last von alten Eiern as I aten't watched any of them yet.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 15 December, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg reckons that the n00b would be better advised to watch S2 before S1.  Can Thee Panel comment on whether this is trufax or eine Last von alten Eiern as I aten't watched any of them yet.
I honestly have no idea why order would be important. Ms vB may well be smarter than me.
 Just gedonwivit!

This week (Ep 9/10) was good,but Ep8 really capped it all for us. Excellent black humour. When wossername gets a bit enthusiastic with the kitchen knife ... brilliant.

UFO: i think this is an irrelevant nod to 1979 culture. At least I hope to f**k it's irrelevant. It really was the only bum note in 10h so far ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Riggers

« Reply #42 on: 16 December, 2015, 08:50:38 am »
As I say, weird isn't it?

When that lady is escaping with that chap from the indian (sorry, first-nation) on the top balcony (see how I know the characters!), and he's gawping at the strange vision in the sky, she glibly remarks: "It's a spaceship, cmon!"

She might have said: "It's just a spaceship . . ." but as a Fargo -witness, I can't be relied on.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #43 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
First Nations are Canuckistani; Native Americans are USAnian.  Though as the latter have a Several of campaign groups using the word "Indian" it'd appear to be OK to use the "I" word.  I suspect it's still difficult to get a decent biryiani on most reservations though.

Riggers

« Reply #44 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:25:16 am »
Thank you White Eagle.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #45 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:36:20 pm »
I noticed the sticker and thought "yeah, UFOs were a big thing in 1979 I suppose"

When it appeared I literally LOLed. I thought it was great!

« Reply #46 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
I noticed the sticker and thought "yeah, UFOs were a big thing in 1979 I suppose"

Naah, old hat by 1979.  I bought an exciting non-fiction(!!!) book from WHSmith called "Flying Saucers Have Landed" in about 1955.  Still got it on the bookshelf.

Watched the series avidly with my son, but at the end he commented "It ended with a whimper".  Got to agree.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #47 on: 31 December, 2015, 09:32:24 pm »
Yes, the last episode was disappointing. Penultimate episode the best imho.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 14 May, 2017, 10:25:58 pm »
New series "soon" - with Ewan McGregor!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #49 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:58:13 am »
New series "soon" - with Ewan McGregor!!!

It's already started on $STREAMING_WOSSNAME.  Let's hope that Mr McGregor doesn't have to do a USAnian accent or, if he does, that it's improved since "The Men Who Stare At Goats".