Author Topic: Internet Connection problem  (Read 1888 times)

Karen Sutton

Internet Connection problem
« on: 07 July, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »
We have a router (Netgear WGR614v9) set up at home to access the Internet and four points at which we access the Internet. We have tested two of these and they are working absolutely fine. However, when we came to test the third, the computer claims that "a network cable is unplugged".

The first port, in our kitchen, was tested with laptops on Vista and OSX10.5 (Leopard).
The second port, in my eldest daughter Katie's, bedroom was tested with an iMac running OSX10.5 also.  This is working fine.
The third port, which isn't working, has been tested with a laptop and a PC, both running XP.
The final port, which has not yet been tested, is in my youngest daughter Elizabeth's bedroom. When I get round to testing it, it will be tested on a PC running XP.

The third port, which isn't working, has been tried with two different ethernet cables so we are sure it is not the cable that is causing a problem.

I'm hoping somebody here here may be able to shed some light on why we cannot access the Internet on the third port?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Internet Connection problem
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:34:32 pm »
It could be a broken port, one of the little metal tap inside that has become bent.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:36:32 pm »
To eliminate a possible computer (as opposed to cabling) issue why not tesat it with onew of the laptops that you knowq works?

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »
Re cabling - perhaps swapping the cable from a known good port (1,2?) and the problem port would help diagnosis.  If the problem transfers to the good cable/computer combination, it would confirm the dodgy port theory.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »
Well I'm now connected on the fourth port, in Elizabeth's room.  I'm using a desktop PC on XP.  It works just fine.  I have tried the third port (the defective one) with two different cables and with both a laptop and a desktop PC, both running XP.  So it's beginning to look like woollypigs is right and that the port is broke.  Oh, and the cable I'm currently using is one I've tried on the port which won't work.

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:02:31 pm »
Swap the connection from any of ports 1, 2 or 4 into port 3.   As you know they are working this should prove whether port 3 is duff or not.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:21:25 pm »
Hi Karen

If I understand correctly. You have a network connection in each of the 4 locations. Each of these is wired back to the router next to your cable modem (correct?)

I think when you say the cable is OK, you mean the cable between the computer and the rooms network connection. However, what you have not been able to replace, is the cable back from the connection point to the router (because that would be a major rip out job)

The way to test this, is to swap the cables at the router end. This will eliminate any of the router ports as being the problem.

I think it is most likely to be a problem with the cable from the port in the room, back to the router.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:03:01 pm »
Swap the connection from any of ports 1, 2 or 4 into port 3.   As you know they are working this should prove whether port 3 is duff or not.

Katie had the intenet on her Macbook via port 2.  We swapped it to port 3 and she still had the connection so we know that the port on the router is OK, we have used all four and they work.  So the fault lies either with the cable from the wall socket 3 to the router, or with the socket itself.  We will have to unscrew it from the wall first to see if there are any bent pins or dislocated wires.  We have some spare sockets so can change that if necessary.  If it is the cable from the socket, under the floor to the modem/router then that is a caving job :-\

Karen Sutton

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:04:38 pm »
Hi Karen

If I understand correctly. You have a network connection in each of the 4 locations. Each of these is wired back to the router next to your cable modem (correct?)

Yep.

I think when you say the cable is OK, you mean the cable between the computer and the rooms network connection. However, what you have not been able to replace, is the cable back from the connection point to the router (because that would be a major rip out job)

The way to test this, is to swap the cables at the router end. This will eliminate any of the router ports as being the problem.

Done this-all the router ports are fine.

I think it is most likely to be a problem with the cable from the port in the room, back to the router.

Yes, either that or the socket in the room.

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »
Ah, that's progress.   At least you've eliminated the router and the cables between periferals and sockets.   

Hope it turns out to be a simple socket swap for you.   

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:50:55 pm »
It is very unlikely to be the cable under the floor (or wherever)

Almost certainly a problem with the connection between cable and socket at one end, or cable and plug at the other.