Author Topic: Square taper crankset options  (Read 569 times)

Square taper crankset options
« on: 31 March, 2024, 09:06:06 am »
What are the current square taper crankset options if buying new from the UK?

Preferably 130 BCD as I already have 44t chainrings, and 42mm chainline or thereabouts without any bodging being required.

Asking in a new thread rather than hijack the Mono thread.

Re: Square taper crankset options
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:34:53 pm »
Since downsizing to 170mm crank length on my bikes, I've purchased a few pairs of Spa cranks. They do the job and are good value for money IMO.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2024, 09:47:24 pm »
Sturmey-Archer FCT10 and FCT20 series are 130 BCD, but they'll give you 43.5mm chainline. From hubjub or SJS.

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/catalog/files/263/SPECIFICATIONS%20-%20FRONT%20CRANKSETS%20FCT.pdf
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2024, 07:09:27 am »
I’ve used the spa rd2 cranks with 110mm bb and then different 110 bcd chain rings.  I put the chain ring on the inside.

I have had one chainring I just have not been able to get correct to get even chain tension but multiple other chainrings have been fine.  I seems that I was a bit unlucky with that chain ring and even after loosening the bolts and spinning the wheels and then taking a file to the inside of the tight spindles I just couldn’t get that one to sit right.  The majority of others have been no problem at all.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2024, 07:25:17 am »
Andel (144BCD) from.Hubjub if you want a narrower chainline.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2024, 08:45:52 am »
Thanks all for the info.

@Timb - what rear hub are you using?

I'm currently running RD2 cranks with a 3/32" chainring bolted to the inside. 1/8 chain. 1/8 sprocket. I think Spa fitted a 107mm BB. Hub is Sturmey Archer HBT30.

The chainring has visible signs of wear on the inboard-side teeth (and chain was noticeably noisy on Friday's Alternative E&SB 200) which suggests chainline could be improved by moving the ring out by another mm or two. I wonder if this could partly be the reason why I can't get acceptably even chain tension, although I think the crank spider also isn't concentric.

I think I should take Rogerzilla's advice on another thread to use a 2ft ruler to more accurately check my checkline!

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2024, 11:43:53 am »
Apologies but I don’t actually know!  The wheel set was built for me by my local bike shop and they suggested the components that went into it which I just went with.

It sounds like I have been lucky.

I know you can use 1/8 on 3/32 but I would guess that that could also create a little noise.  I use a 8 speed Kmc 3/32 chain and andel 3/32 sprockets, neither are particularly expensive.  I’m sure there are others with a little more knowledge that would know if that could be causing some of the issues.