Author Topic: Wedding Discos.  (Read 3481 times)

Re: Wedding Discos.
« Reply #25 on: 09 September, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »
Shotgun wedding by Roy c   was all ways played at local wedding discos & lots of bad   manners tracks when i was a lot younger.
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #26 on: 09 September, 2013, 08:46:08 pm »
I was at a wedding on Saturday. I'm not with-it and cool enough either to have been dancing or to have recognised many of the songs, but the many who were both were just having a brilliant time, which was good enough for me. Without the help of alcohol (no licence anyway). It made me happy just to watch.

So I suppose that any selection that produces that kind of effect must be OK.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2013, 04:59:56 am »
I find them universally awful, but they're a way of

a) overcoming the fact that no-one actually "goes away" on the day of their wedding any more - unless you get married at 6am, all the charter flights to Fuengirola will have left by the time you finish eating

b) inviting all the people from work you don't like enough - or can't afford - to have at the formal reception.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
We had a pretty good wedding disco, with lots of Motown for the parents (and young people like it too!) and indie disco for the "kids" (all 30+).

Add in some 2-Tone, Ace of Spades & Sweet's Blockbuster & Ballroom Blitz & it sounds like my sister's wedding - the DJ, obviously not too enamoured with the usual stuff he's asked to play, loved their selection so much he carried on for an extra hour or two...

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 10 September, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
I think if I ever got married, I'd just create a playlist on my mp player and use that. Lots of 80s goth and 60s motown, no the slosh.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #30 on: 10 September, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »
..no-one actually "goes away" on the day of their wedding any more...
They did from the wedding last weekend that I mentioned :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »
I think if I ever got married, I'd just create a playlist on my mp player and use that. Lots of 80s goth and 60s motown, no the slosh.

No wedding, no disco, no problem.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2013, 03:44:46 am »
I edited up some 8mm film of my aunt's wedding in the early 60's. That was an interesting document of the times. The couple left after the reception, with tin cans tied to the back of the car. There was a band for the evening do, but obviously no 'first dance', which is an American idea, which has been fairly recently adopted here. The following day the older women went round to the couple's flat to inspect all the presents.
The 'do' in Standish had an 80/20 split. 80% of the women were interested in the dancing and 80% of the men were clustered around the bar. There were about 20% of the men who might give the dancing a go, and about 20% of the women who preferred to be at the bar. I was playing at being a wedding videographer, and I found it was quite difficult to get shots of guests drinking at the bar, as opposed to dancing, which is easy. So the dancing is what tends to get recorded.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »
First dance might have come to us from America but they took it from elsewhere - probably Catholic countries further south and/or east than us.

We really ought to have a "what was at your wedding disco?" thing here. I think we had this
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iwThSlCafUA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iwThSlCafUA&rel=1</a>
but I can't remember what else.

And who had a live band?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 11 September, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
At my colleague Sagar's wedding earlier this year, we all danced Gangnam Style  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 11 September, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »
Ah, Sagar, my favourite place to eat.  :) I have visions of idli chutney now. Charlotte, you owe me a new stomach!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 11 September, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »
Cudzo, you really ought to head out to the Wild, Wild West (Wembley) if you're a fan of proper South Indian grub.  We go out to eat there most weeks  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 11 September, 2013, 04:14:37 pm »
Dunno - it's almost more practical for me to go live in proper South India again. We used to have a really good Keralite place not far from here - but last time we went there it had really gone downhill. First sign was that the waiter (despite being Keralite himself, or perhaps he was Andran, can't remember now) spoke... Polish!  :o  :o  :o

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 11 September, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »

O I know that one, it's by Van Morrison? Or was it Talking Heads?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 11 September, 2013, 06:47:02 pm »

O I know that one, it's by Van Morrison? Or was it Talking Heads?

Wasn't it the B side of 'No Woman, No Cry'.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #40 on: 11 September, 2013, 07:07:42 pm »

*Grump* Yeah, you owe us one.
GITS
 >:(

;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.