Author Topic: Exeter bomb  (Read 3556 times)

Re: Exeter bomb
« Reply #25 on: 03 March, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »
It looked like a bomb going off really, didn't it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 03 March, 2021, 08:42:09 pm »
Looking at the latest videos, those dastardly Nazis have managed to really bugger houses built some 50 years after the war.  Roofs rippled and walls cracked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #27 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:29:41 pm »
When I read the pre detonation plans, I was thinking along the lines of a several hundred tons of sand/ soil as a bund as opposed to a containment cover.
Every well brought up child of the 60's and 70's knows that if you contain bangy stuffs it goes bigger bangy. With the exception of bomb tech containment vessels which are for things like small letter bombs or hand grenades.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:58:45 pm »
Rufus Hound, on an old episode of The Infinite Monkey Cage, told a tale of his time working at the SCIENCE Museum.  Take a suitable plastic bottle and add liquid nitrogen — the suitability of the bottle being judged by its ability to not quite explode immediately.  Hand the bottle to your enemy and watch with glee as the warmth of his hand boils the contents of the bottle until it can no longer withstand the internal pressure.  Run away.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #29 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:38:04 am »
When I read the pre detonation plans, I was thinking along the lines of a several hundred tons of sand/ soil as a bund as opposed to a containment cover.
Every well brought up child of the 60's and 70's knows that if you contain bangy stuffs it goes bigger bangy. With the exception of bomb tech containment vessels which are for things like small letter bombs or hand grenades.
I would have expected bags of water to be more effective at containing the blast, and a lot easier to clean up afterwards.

rogerzilla

« Reply #30 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:39:51 am »
Every well brought up child of the 60's and 70's knows that if you contain bangy stuffs it goes bigger bangy.
Isn't that for low (subsonic) explosives, like gunpowder?  That just fizzles nicely if uncontained.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 04 March, 2021, 09:24:05 am »
There are folk round here (Sheppey) who reckon that the 1500 tons of high explosive on the SS Richard Montgomery are no threat since they've been there for 77 years without going bang.

I only read about that for the first time very recently. Slightly terrifying. I look forward to picking up the bits of you that will be raining down on my garden over here in Whitstable one day.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #32 on: 04 March, 2021, 10:11:10 am »
Whitstable is bit close, isn't it?
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 04 March, 2021, 10:26:20 am »

We're the opposite side of Sheppey, so nicknack will take the brunt of the blast for us.

I imagine Wowbagger might perhaps be more affected than me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 04 March, 2021, 11:37:11 am »
There was a bad link in this thread which was causing odd forum behaviour, so I have purged a few posts that included it.  I ran an error check on the forum and it came back clean.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #35 on: 04 March, 2021, 01:02:39 pm »

We're the opposite side of Sheppey, so nicknack will take the brunt of the blast for us.

I imagine Wowbagger might perhaps be more affected than me.
;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2021, 09:09:36 am »
Take a suitable plastic bottle and add
water and dry ice

Place on ground, run away.  When it doesn't explode, resist the urge to go add more dry ice ... be patient, put fingers into ears