Author Topic: My Performer SAKI has moved on....  (Read 3850 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
My Performer SAKI has moved on....
« on: 08 December, 2019, 09:48:52 am »
... to a fellow YACFer.

I had to give it up in the face of anno domini and increasing decrepitude.  But at least it's gone to a good home, and an obvious enthusiast at that.

I was very surprised and gratified to see how quickly he acclimatised, never having been on a recumbent.  Started him off on my 20/26 and gentle rolling down a slight slope, quickly progressing to pedalling.  Then moved to the SAKI and within an hour he was gently pedalling the HiRacer. 

No doubt he'll be along shortly to 'fess up to joining the dark side! 

Growing the dark siders - one at a time!

My garage looks a bit empty............... :'( :'( :'(

Re: My Performer SAKI has moved on....
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »
I've crossed over!  ;D
Thanks v much for all your help and advice on Saturday Andy.
The Saki seems like it'll suit my nippy rides/audax/occasional light touring needs perfectly.
Just got to learn to ride it now!

I did have a brief glimmer when I was wobbling down your drive, where I realised I could see the far off hills in a great deal of comfort!

I'll get down the local carpark this evening for a practice run hopefully.  Unfortunately a lot of youth hang out there, so I expect I'll get some attention - guess that'll be good practice too!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »
I'm glad you're sorted now TomP, that means Tony's street machine is free for me to get my mitts on......squeeeeeeeeeeee!!

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:29:35 pm »
Haha ;D enjoy!

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:59:33 pm »
In my experience I get positive vibes from youths when I'm out on the recumbent.  They love the look of them and the fact they are very different.

As for balance, I found my balance was a lot better after about 3 hours of riding. In terms of the balance just being natural,and more of a muscle memory thing I remember after three months just feeling like I was piloting my bike. My second recumbent the balance has been there pretty much from the start. Relax the upper body, don't panic about getting feet down, and you are halfway there.

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2019, 05:20:07 pm »
Thanks Phil, I'll bear that in mind. Andy was really helpful with tips and advice too.

Hopefully I'll be audaxing again by the summer,  or at least getting 50miles in as opposed to an uncomfortable 3 on my df bikes currently.

I've been struggling to walk past it in my hallway without getting on/in it :D

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2019, 06:20:07 pm »

As for balance, I found my balance was a lot better after about 3 hours of riding. In terms of the balance just being natural,and more of a muscle memory thing I remember after three months just feeling like I was piloting my bike. My second recumbent the balance has been there pretty much from the start. Relax the upper body, don't panic about getting feet down, and you are halfway there.

What Phil said - give it time.  To get used to the handling, and for your leg muscles to learn new ways of working.  My first   recumbent ride (on a Kingcycle) wasa few yards down a quiet street and I wondered if / how I'd ever get the hang of it.  I now do all my 'long' rides on recumbents and find it easier and less painful than a traditional bike.

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2019, 07:25:24 pm »
Back from the carpark...
Staying upright,  starting on the flat,  starting on a hill, tight turns and turning left in general difficult at moment.
I seemed to get a lot of heel strike, but I need a lot lot lot more practice! Death grip on the handle bars, had to remind myself to relax.
On the plus side, I did manage to balance and actually pedal most of the time. :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2019, 07:48:24 pm »
Heel strike tends to be worse when you're wobbling around at low speed (bigger wheel deflections), so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 14 December, 2019, 07:57:18 pm »
Keep left pedal at 12 o'clock when turning left and right 12 o'clock turning right.  If you need to keep putting some input in, then cycle the pedal between 11-1 o'clock etc.

If I have a very sharp slow speed turn I'm not sure I'm going to make I unclip the foot on the side of the turn and let the leg hang out a bit from the bike. Then recoup once turn completed.

If you sit-up slightly during turns you'll find the balance a bit better.

If a bit of cycling infrastructure looks impossible, don't be afraid to unclip,and walk your bike through. It really doesn't add much extra time.

Keep up the good work.

« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2019, 08:03:38 pm »
Thanks both. Hope to get another practice in tomorrow  :thumbsup:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:52:37 am »
This is weird.  Reading Tom's post and knowing exactly what he's going through as I did exactly the same with that bike.  And then others offering guidance to solve those problems, exactly as I did.

It's deja-vu all over again!

I had to part with my lovely SAKI, and also my r/c aeroplanes as I just cannot benefit from them any more, but it's fantastic to hear about how Tom's getting on with my much-treasured SAKI.

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2019, 12:57:29 pm »
Cheers Andy.
Not had use of the elbow pads yet, but had x2 comedy capsizes when I was close to stopping with the front wheel turned too much.
Even though it's a steep learning curve, I'm v v happy with it. Think I'd be looking for another within 6mths if I'd got a tourer.
The seat at its lowest recline unloads my sitbones which is great,  but the bag rubs the back wheel. I'll have to give luggage some thought. Wondering if a radical solo aero would fit, but theres really limited clearance. Any thoughts? Hopefully if my injury improves I can raise the seat and use your tcyclces pack.

I'm assuming if I put the original under seat bracket in it would recline the seat even more?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:19:48 pm »
Cheers Andy.
Not had use of the elbow pads yet, but had x2 comedy capsizes when I was close to stopping with the front wheel turned too much.
Even though it's a steep learning curve, I'm v v happy with it. Think I'd be looking for another within 6mths if I'd got a tourer.
The seat at its lowest recline unloads my sitbones which is great,  but the bag rubs the back wheel. I'll have to give luggage some thought. Wondering if a radical solo aero would fit, but theres really limited clearance. Any thoughts? Hopefully if my injury improves I can raise the seat and use your tcyclces pack.

I'm assuming if I put the original under seat bracket in it would recline the seat even more?

Hope you haven't scratched my bike!! ;D ;D ;D

As Kim alludes to, it's the low speed stuff that's the hardest - you are much more stable once over walking speed.

I'd had the bag off to put it in the wash before you came and I didn't fettle the fit back again.  If you pull the tapes really tight it generally moves it away from the wheel - I'd had the same problem but by adjusting the tapes I was able to solve it.  If you look at the bag where it's rubbing there's no damage to the fabric - because you can get it to clear the tyre with a bit of tweaking.

Not sure that restoring the original pivot bracket will improve the recline other than by raising the seat front that will naturally reduce the angle.  If you think you'll be OK for seat height and you can get your feet down with the seat about 30mm higher give it a go. You'll need a bit of patience though because it's really tight for access to get at that bracket under the seat!  I think I had to resort to some Anglo Saxon dialect before I got it all together!

Raising the seat will leave you a U shaped slot where I trimmed away the front edge of the seat to clear the spine tube.  You might need to cover that temporarily whilst you decide if the higher seat is what you want to support the seat pad.  Some strong duct tape on both sides will do that temporarily. I'd effect a permanent fix with some 1.5mm aluminium plate cut to size and bolted in with 3mm pan head bolts.

Typical recumbent though - lots of tweaking to get it the way you want it, and then un-tweaking when you decide it was better the way it was!

The last 2 r/c aeroplanes in my garage roof go this week.  I put them with my local model shop in Whitchurch and he's already sold the 3 that I gave him, and he rang up yesterday asking if I had any more!  So, that's a clear garage now.   :( :( :(

Maybe I'll have to look for a Panther 650 single motorcycle to replace them!

« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:39:22 pm »
 ;D it still is your bike actually if you went to the cops with your bike register details!

I'll leave the seat as is for now, I get carried away with tinkering! Will consider playing around with it after I'm competent at riding it.
Thought about putting a rack on and using a rack top bag I already have,  but that'd add another 1.5kg to it which I'm not keen on. Will fettle with the straps, really like that little bag.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2019, 02:45:59 pm »
Tom, sent you a PM re: registration.

« Reply #16 on: 26 December, 2019, 11:41:47 am »
I've crossed over!  ;D
The Saki seems like it'll suit my nippy rides/audax/occasional light touring needs perfectly.

I did have a brief glimmer when I was wobbling down your drive, where I realised I could see the far off hills in a great deal of comfort!

I'll get down the local carpark this evening for a practice run hopefully.  Unfortunately a lot of youth hang out there, so I expect I'll get some attention - guess that'll be good practice too!

On an early recumbent ride a Bunch of Youth going to school shouted "Sick!" at me.
I stopped and enquired and it turned out to be a good word for the bike (and the old geezer on it, I hope)  :).
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 26 December, 2019, 12:29:38 pm »
On an early recumbent ride a Bunch of Youth going to school shouted "Sick!" at me.

I probably average one "Sick boik!" every couple of hours of riding.  About the same for faux laughter from groups of, inevitably, young males[1].

The best was "Sick as fuck!" from a girl outside a primary school.

[1] Shuster, 2007.

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 26 December, 2019, 12:43:09 pm »
I've crossed over!  ;D

I stopped and enquired and it turned out to be a good word for the bike (and the old geezer on it, I hope)  :).

Bet you were hawt

« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »
No 'sicks' yet! I ventured out on a straight road the other day and got an insight into how quick the thing can go without a huge amount of welly. Had a few funny double head turns where people aren't sure what just went past.
Also went past a building site with no fanfare!

Hills are going to need a lot of practice, I get off pretty quickly as bit scared of mega slow speed climbing at mo.

The booms come in a bit from how Andy had it, so the crank arm can hit the tyre when turning (160mm cranks).  I've said to myself  I'll get competent at riding it and then decide if going with even shorter cranks would be worth it. Taking Kim and Phil's advice on board too so will get more experience before deciding.

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2019, 04:28:51 pm »
You'll find your stability uphill is better the faster you can turn the cranks. So gear down and get spinning. Is there a traffic free hill you can practice on without worrying about any weaving putting you in the path of vehicles?

« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2019, 06:43:40 pm »
There are :thumbsup:. I think I'm probably still gripping the bars a bit tight, then when I start going slowly uphill I start wibbling and panic. I'll get there with practice. Is it quite common for a recumbents cranks to be possible to touch the front tyre when turning?

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »
There are :thumbsup:. I think I'm probably still gripping the bars a bit tight, then when I start going slowly uphill I start wibbling and panic. I'll get there with practice. Is it quite common for a recumbents cranks to be possible to touch the front tyre when turning?

On SWB (which yours is) yes, though it tends to be your feet making contact not the cranks.  You get better with practice and realise which type of turns require you to keep the crank (in direction you are turning) at 12 o'clock. It tends to only turn up as an issue at slow speeds. At high speed you'll turn by leaning with very little turning of the bars. A relaxed grip will help tremendously.

« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:00:14 pm »
Nice one, thanks.  I think 155mm cranks would solve the crank issue, but I'll give it several months of riding first.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:21:52 pm »
I get a bit of heel-vs-tyre on both of mine, but rarely enough that it's a non-issue unless combined with a clipless moment.  Usually it's just "oh, I forgot that could happen".