Author Topic: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE  (Read 35822 times)

Re: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #25 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:18:46 am »
The tyre isn't new.  It has sat inflated to 100 psi on an OP for a year although it has only managed 500 miles in that time.   

I have thin Schwalbe 'plastic'  rim tape.

I always talc.

I would like to use the shoe trick but the tyre fails to get any further than eight spokes of bead remaining on a 36 spoke wheel if you get my meaning.   Way too much to 'shoe'.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:36:31 am »
Pity then that we talk of compromise when we should be talking of quality.   

I bet Rigida will argue that the rim is within reasonable tolerance of the 700C standard, and that Conti will argue that the tyre is within reasonable tolerance of the 700C standard.  Probably you're just unlucky enough to have the combination of a rim a tiny tad bigger than it's supposed to be and a tyre a tiny tad smaller than it's supposed to be.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #27 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:40:14 am »
I found Rubinos on Chrinas a pretty hard combination.
was helping another rider with a Zaffiro on a Mavic yesterday and still needed a lever
I "think" Michelins are easier than Vittorias in general, but even Vittorias are easier than Contis.

« Reply #28 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:43:50 am »
In the pissing rain, the abundant water will lubricate everything. ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #29 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:07:59 am »
How about pissing on the tyre?  www.warmshowers.org

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #30 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:26:32 am »
I found a vittoria randonneur impossible to fit and remove - use michelins now and not had a problem but if the new one I've got waiting is a problem I'll just use a different rim. Can't be doing with ball-aching tyre changes out on the road.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

fuzzy

« Reply #31 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:19:47 pm »
When folk talk of VAR levers, is this the beast of which they speak?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »
When folk talk of VAR levers, is this the beast of which they speak?

No, they speak of the first few pictured here.

« Reply #33 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »
I found Rubinos on Chrinas a pretty hard combination.
was helping another rider with a Zaffiro on a Mavic yesterday and still needed a lever
I "think" Michelins are easier than Vittorias in general, but even Vittorias are easier than Contis.

The variation of experiences on this and related threads amazes me. I totally failed to fit used Michelin Krylion and Pro Race 3 but just about managed a new Rubino Pro.

My only remaining option (other than chucking the Chrina) was thinner rim tape but having had thinner tape fail in the past it's not a compromise I was keen to make.

« Reply #34 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »
There's another lever similar to a VAR I believe.  Anybody know what it is?

I'm sure one of he Andrews linked to it fairly recently.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »
Koolstop Tire Jack, probably. It is much beefier, you'd have to be going some to break it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 06 August, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
One of these in fact.

Think I'll have one of these for the toolbox and a couple of VARs for the on bike toolkits.

Now to find more friendly tyres... 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 06 August, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »
Badge engineering at its best.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #38 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »
But going back to tyre stretching, I've had to do that with rigid Conti (Gatorskins IIRC) and Michelin Service Course Pro IIs.
Took me back to the old Barum tub-fitting days. 8)

At 6" intervals around the casing, apply sole of foot/feet inside of both beads at floor level, then with arms at "ten past ten" or "ten to ten" position, pull up and out on the bead, thus stretching the tyre to a V position.
Repeat at 6" intervals around the bead. (Vary hands to suit your height.) 2 or 3 times. Don't compress your spine though!
That ought to ease out steel wire beads. Usually works for me (eventually).
Doesn't work on kevlar fibre beads, though kevlar is fitted mostly on folding tyres which always seem to be easier to fit IMHO.
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #39 on: 11 August, 2012, 05:10:37 pm »
Some progress:

I changed the Schwalbe thin plastic tape for the tape from the old open pro rim.   I've already forgotten the name but it was yellow and visibly thinner even to my very low capability naked eye.  I still had to wrestle but I did manage to get the tyre on by hand.   This is critical as far as I am concerned so I'm a much happier bunny now.

About to set to the Jagwire cabling for the stis.

I'll have some Centaur pre QS 9x3 ergos, a post 2001 Daytona 9 sp rear mech, a Centaur front triple (braze on) and a very low use Champ? 32mm clamp triple front mech to sell on shortly.   I also have a Veloce 12-28 9 speed cassette with about 300 miles on it available too.

I also have a back wheel with an OP rim and an Ambrozio Zenith campag freehub but there is some play in the freehub probably due to my incompetence at attempting bearing replacement.   

« Reply #40 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:33:18 am »
One of these in fact.

Think I'll have one of these for the toolbox and a couple of VARs for the on bike toolkits.

A good find.  I've only seen the Koolstop badged version and you can't buy that in the UK.  I don't need one myself but it looks useful for anyone with tight tyres.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #41 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:17:00 pm »
I'll have some Centaur pre QS 9x3 ergos, a post 2001 Daytona 9 sp rear mech, a Centaur front triple (braze on) and a very low use Champ? 32mm clamp triple front mech to sell on shortly.   I also have a Veloce 12-28 9 speed cassette with about 300 miles on it available too.

I also have a back wheel with an OP rim and an Ambrozio Zenith campag freehub but there is some play in the freehub probably due to my incompetence at attempting bearing replacement.
Dammit, don't tempt me! I don't have a bike to put any of 'em on!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #42 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:18:15 pm »

Dammit, don't tempt me! I don't have a bike to put any of 'em on!

You know what that means :demon: ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #43 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »
I cannot get the Conti tyres onto the rims.   Would be a nightmare on the road. 

Don't know what to do now.   :(

The new style Chrinas rims are definitely harder to fit tyres onto than their predecessors (which were never generally a problem).

H

« Reply #44 on: 14 August, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »
I have a new chrina wheel from parkers international.
And I've been able to fit a gatorskin and a new rigid marathon plus without levers.
 :smug:

« Reply #45 on: 15 August, 2012, 07:37:28 am »
And I've been able to fit a gatorskin and a new rigid marathon plus without levers.

Well done! May I be the first to congratulate you and shake hands.

On second thoughts...

« Reply #46 on: 15 August, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »

You must have the 650C variety - still if it works for you  :P

« Reply #47 on: 15 August, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »
 :) ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing"right"
but after pinch P***ing three consecutive  times on  3 long rides, I decided to practice.
I find patience is the key and to keep pushing the bead to the centre of the rim before trying to force the tyre on.
If you use oversize Velox tape this may make a difference.
there is usually a section of 6 inches of tyre that wont go on easy but once you gradually get that section down to around 5" the tyre rolls on.
I hav'nt got strong hands and they are still weakened by PBP btw.

Ian

« Reply #48 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:46:07 am »
I find patience is the key and to keep pushing the bead to the centre of the rim before trying to force the tyre on.
This is my experience too. Pedro's tyre levers are very helpful for the last bit I find (and for getting the tyre off). I can't recommend these highly enough: http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1806/Pedros-Tyre-Levers.html

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:53:55 am »
Marathon pluses aren't a tight fit. You may have misunderstood the problem.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles