Author Topic: How many cyclists are inconsiderate?  (Read 5267 times)

Re: How many cyclists are inconsiderate?
« Reply #25 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:37:41 pm »
2m for 15 minutes before you're considered at risk.

Before you're considered *worth contacting*, which is going to need a high threshold purely for practical reasons.

Ultimately, the government only needs to care about the high probably interactions because their goal isn't to prevent each individual from catching the virus, it's to keep the total number of individuals who do manageably low.

However, if you're an individual who doesn't want to catch (or spread) the virus yourself, you need to think about low probably interactions too.

(and as individuals we can only speculate about which interactions are worth worrying about)

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:03:42 pm »
Yes, I read that too.  I would hope that this is based upon some sort of facts and not merely an assumption.

With an estimated transmission rate of 2.5-3 people infected over roughly 5 days by a typical infected individual, people going about their daily business would have a lot more than this level of contact => the conclusion that trivial amounts of contact have low risk of transmission seems reasonable.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27 on: 16 April, 2020, 08:53:47 pm »
On my relatively infrequent rides (about 3-4 times a week), I've been really impressed with the consideration given by walkers, runners and cyclists in my area, many of the cyclists (judging by their kit and sometimes lack of handling skills) new to riding on the road. And it's generally all been with good humour, only perhaps a few of the hardcore MAMILs  seeming a bit put out by all the newbies and doubling-down on the pro scowl and not acknowledging others!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:34:37 am »
Most of those I've seen out on my short forays have been obviously glad to get out and very cheery. Quite a few that I recognise as regulars, and a very obvious newer cohort, but all freindly enough. There does seem to be a cohort of drivers saying "wow, look at all this space, right foot heavy" and driving the narrow lanes here at speed limits plus a large margin for stupidity.  I've yet to see any of the meeting a tractor on a blind corner though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2020, 10:23:03 am »
How many cyclists are inconsiderate?
Well, i know I am!

I'm half wanting a total lock down so that these t***sers are kept off the road.

Only half wanting?   Being restricted to the house isn't enough to keep an idiot like me under control.  If I could, I would cough into the chimney to broadcast germs across the countryside
I need imprisoning inside an airtight box

I trace this attitude back to the minute I started wearing lycra.  It crushed my nether regions in an unhelpful way and I've had psychopathic tendencies ever since

Very angry about this.

« Reply #30 on: 21 April, 2020, 10:39:57 am »
You forgot to add that you think you're in the the Tour de France.

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 21 April, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
The 2m for 15 minutes was the original rule of thumb (and what s Korea have used successfully). Longer time longer distance. I was trying to explain on my local Facebook group that standing for an hour in a queue maybe 2m was not enough. The scientific bods believed that the London marathon presented little risk for the event itself, it was more the spectators and the travel to and from. It is of course all about probabilities - the more shots and the closer the range the more likely you are to be hit. However you can still be unlucky - in the famous last words General Sedgewick. - “they couldnt hit an elephant at this distance”

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:47:25 pm »
Was wondering where to post this link. I reckon this thread is as good a place as any...

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclist-deaths-during-lockdown-2x-average-time-year-272987
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #33 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »
Was wondering where to post this link. I reckon this thread is as good a place as any...
https://road.cc/content/news/cyclist-deaths-during-lockdown-2x-average-time-year-272987

From what I've experienced over the last few weeks I completely agree with the quote below.  I'm never normally spooked or enraged by bad driving but I've never felt so deliberately threatened as I have of late.

"However, a number of road traffic policing units across the country have highlighted issues such as an increase in speeding as some motorists take the opportunity of empty roads to ignore speed limits, as well as suggestions that drivers more likely to pose a risk to others are still out there while more law-abiding motorists remain at home.

In other words, there might be fewer drivers out there, but there is now a greater proportion of the ones who cause the most harm."
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:34:45 am »
And no doubt the drivers righteously nicked for foolishness like 135 mph on the North Circular are indignant about the rozzers not observing the 2 metre separation when they are run to earth.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #35 on: 29 April, 2020, 03:36:58 pm »
Going back to the original question, it's nothing to do with lockdown - I feel that cyclists quite often tend not to give each other the highway code 'as wide as a car' clearance.  Including me.
I doubt the thought even troubled their pretty little heads.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #36 on: 29 April, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »
I feel that cyclists quite often tend not to give each other the highway code 'as wide as a car' clearance. I doubt the thought even troubled their pretty little ignorant heads.
I too, have been the victim of a close pass on occasions.

« Reply #37 on: 29 April, 2020, 05:27:41 pm »
Some of the closest passes I've had by other cyclists have all been from roadies in club kit blatting round Richmond Park.

My theory is that since they don't mind being passed really closely by their club mates or other people they're on a club ride with they seem to apply that thinking to anyone else they encounter on their ride (especially as I'm generally on a reasonable bike and in lycra).

I've taken to putting in a little wobble if I notice someone coming up behind me, this tends to get me a lot more space and also works with the majority of cars on my commute.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 29 April, 2020, 05:36:45 pm »
I'd agree with that, and I've been guilty of passing competent-looking[1] cyclists a bit close myself on occasion - at least before the lockdown.  The important thing is not to startle them; I don't think passing someone cycling in left-car-wheeltrack by overtaking in right-car-wheeltrack (so as to avoid dealing with oncoming traffic) is usually a problem.  It's blasting through with inches of clearance, or (pet hate) sneaking into their blind spot and then making some noise that's the problem.

Children, BMX bandits, BSOists, the poorly secured luggage brigade, anyone negotiating crap road surfaces and obvious wobblers I'll give a wide berth.  They could do anything.

[1] Which isn't the same thing as fast.  Plenty of slower non-lycra-wearing cyclists ride predictably, and I rarely get to overtake the fast ones.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #39 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »

Well, to be honest, 2x the average number of cycling deaths would proportionally be a good thing, seeing as the numbers of people cycling during lockdown has more than doubled.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein