Author Topic: Removing stubborn pedals  (Read 22599 times)

Re: Removing stubborn pedals
« Reply #50 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »
I don't think I know the Mai Lounge, is that one of the trendy new places on Park St?  :)

As an aside. I felt so old on Sat night at the Red Bull Hill Chasers on Park St. All the bars have changed and appeared too noisy and too dark.

I fear I'm getting old.

don't be afraid, you are younger than me!

« Reply #51 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »
Penetrating oil might work better than WD-40, a few days soaking will give either more time to work, and what padbeat said about a paint stripping gun makes a lot of sense.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:08:57 pm »
We've had the angle grinder, but why has nobody mentioned thermite yet?  Standards are slipping...   ;D

« Reply #53 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »
Prior experience of Bonthronebikes suggests that getting the existing pedal off using a Tesco value 6" adjustable spanner and harsh language will be both quicker and easier.
My already inexpressible smugness at never having attempted to buy anything from Bonthrone has just gone up another notch.  :smug:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #54 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:18:24 am »
... And if that fails I'll have to take the crank off and take it in to LBS who will doubtless charge me more than I saved by not buying from them in the first place ...

The last time I had the stuck-pedal problem I tried all the suggestions upthread (except the blowtorch) before "sod this, it's too difficult" set in. 5 minutes down the road to LBS (Fred Bakers, Gloucester Road), where their mechanic removed it effortlessly in a couple of seconds, using no more than the proper tool and a flick of the wrist. Cue sudden deflation of ego. No charge, but I'm a fairly regular customer & bought a couple of spare tubes for stock.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:27:08 am »
... And if that fails I'll have to take the crank off and take it in to LBS who will doubtless charge me more than I saved by not buying from them in the first place ...

The last time I had the stuck-pedal problem I tried all the suggestions upthread (except the blowtorch) before "sod this, it's too difficult" set in. 5 minutes down the road to LBS (Fred Bakers, Gloucester Road), where their mechanic removed it effortlessly in a couple of seconds, using no more than the proper tool and a flick of the wrist. Cue sudden deflation of ego. No charge, but I'm a fairly regular customer & bought a couple of spare tubes for stock.

Do you know what was the tool?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:33:57 am »
... where their mechanic removed it effortlessly in a couple of seconds, using no more than the proper tool and a flick of the wrist. Cue sudden deflation of ego. No charge, but I'm a fairly regular customer & bought a couple of spare tubes for stock.

Oxy-acetylene torch.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:43:59 am »

These two have never let me down.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #58 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:51:10 am »

AFAIK, it was a standard pedal spanner off the tool board - certainly nothing fancy, and no scaffold tube. Just the magic technique.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #59 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:55:01 am »

AFAIK, it was a standard pedal spanner off the tool board - certainly nothing fancy, and no scaffold tube. Just the magic technique.

You'd probably loosened it for him :D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #60 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:11:22 am »
A thing to try that I've had success with where no amount of ultra long pipes, penetrating fluid, heating and the like worked:
Remove the crank and lay it flat on a stout bench. Give it a sharp tap with a lump hammer (quite hard, maybe more like a 'whack' than a tap, unless it's a really heavy old hammer) so that the impact is through the line where the pedal axle goes.
As such:

Then put the crank in a vice and use a pedal spanner with a big long pipe as leverage as normal.

Something to do with ovalisation, was what the bike shop that did it for me told me.

« Reply #61 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:44:55 am »
More likely to do with cracking the corrosion. Same principle as an impact driver.  good idea, whatever the mechanism.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:48:54 am »

Interesting. Fred Bakers is my LBS too, in the sense that it's the nearest but I rarely buy things there as they never seem to have what I want. Though I did buy a cassette in there a few weeks ago and they wanted IIRC £10 to fit it - but that was the bloke at the counter talking, the mechanic himself might have said something different - so I fitted it myself (I must acknowledge help from Smurphboy!). Anyway, I've heard an "interesting" tale about the mechanic there, but it's only one tale - I'll save it for another time, maybe in the Grain Barge! Ok, off to Panoramix and his heat gun now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #63 on: 21 February, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »

"Oh, and regarding the Allen key hole in the back of some pedal axles: You'll bend an Allen key long before you shift a stubborn pedal."

It is possible to get alan key sockets of various sizes  for 1/4"; 3/8"; 1/2" drive socket sets.  In extreme cases it is possible to get a 2ft lever on to a 1/2" drive socket.  A lot of parts are going to bend or rip or flare out before the alan key breaks  Incidentally, as an obscure and probably useless piece of information, the 7mm alan keys that were used to self extract Campag record cranks in the old days are perfect for removing and re-assembling car brake calipers. (am I allowed to mention c***rs??)

Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #64 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
Well the heat gun was of a no use despite trying hard, we even tried to cool the pedal axle with ice! \nevertheless I had a spare crank lying around so I've traded it for the promise of free beer in the future!  :thumbsup:
Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #65 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »
As Panoramix says, we tried hard using heat, ice, a large section of washing line pole and a hammer, as well as various body parts, and he had various good ideas but all to no avail. But we did manage to extract a surplus l/h crank from his winter bike that hasn't happened, for which I owe him a beer. It also gave me the novel experience of riding a couple of miles with one foot in a toe clip and the other "flat" because I'd removed the toe clip. It's an odd and vaguely disquieting experience!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #66 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »
Today I finally fitted my new pedals!  ;D I used the crank I got from Panoramix, which doesn't match the other one visually but is the same length and does the job.

I also started dismantling the old pedal, still stuck on the crank. I'd never paid much attention to its construction before - an alloy cage is bolted to a body which is plastic, but tough and rigid, and the whole lot revolves on a ferro-cheese axle. Despite the materials I can't really complain about these pedals (VP brand, if you want to know); they've been on the bike since it was new almost 13 years ago and they're still in good condition, the bearings are smooth, etc.

Trouble is I'm now not sure it was a good idea to change them! After many years using toe clips the idea was I'd switch to SPD for "rides" but with flats on the other side for riding round town. I haven't fitted the cleats yet but a short test run this afternoon showed me I really don't like riding on flat, unclipped pedals now. I actually had similar pedals some time ago on a different bike but don't remember it being a problem - I don't think I ever used them in 'normal' shoes though. Oh well, I guess I'll give it some more time - I don't think I'll be clomping round shops and so on in cleats. Well, maybe, time will tell!

« Reply #67 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »
I think I have similar pedals on my commuter bike. Mine are these, I find that the cleats aren't an issue around town but you do need some decent shoes where the cleats are recessed. Then they don't clatter so much when you walk and you can ride flat or clipped in as they don't foul on the flat side.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #68 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:41:14 pm »
Those are exactly what I've now got.  :) The issue is not so much clattering cleats as getting dressed up in Special Shoes when only going a mile to the shops and back - it just feels wrong, somehow, particularly when wearing jeans!

« Reply #69 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:43:57 pm »
Those are exactly what I've now got.  :) The issue is not so much clattering cleats as getting dressed up in Special Shoes when only going a mile to the shops and back - it just feels wrong, somehow, particularly when wearing jeans!

Ahhh, yes. They do feel weird in normal shoes. Have you thought about bmx pedals with pins? You get good grip in flat shoes but they aren't like clips. They also look cool  8)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #70 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »
Are you trying to persuade me to change my pedals again?!  :o  ;)

« Reply #71 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »
Are you trying to persuade me to change my pedals again?!  :o  ;)

Well. Now you know how... I do have a pair you can try if you like. I used them before swapping to the A530s

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #72 on: 24 February, 2012, 11:45:14 pm »
To think; the pair of you now have a closer relationship than you would have considered possible had any of the suggestions worked and you sorted it out on your own.

:P

H

« Reply #73 on: 07 March, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
Cudzo came over to the SICRUT BWNCWR today - pedal sorted in a couple of minutes with a bit of plusgas, a big Park pedal spanner and a rubber mallet. We refitted the crank with the shiny new SPD pedal with plenty of anti-seize!  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #74 on: 07 March, 2012, 05:39:51 pm »
I guess some kind of extension is probably the way to go, but I can't think of anything that would do the job right now.

Bit late now, but for future reference... vacuum cleaner pipe over the end of the spanner. I have used this method successfully on stubborn bottom brackets.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."