Author Topic: Even covering of slush this morning!  (Read 1754 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Even covering of slush this morning!
« on: 02 December, 2008, 09:05:40 am »
But undeterred, we ventured out on the tandem-commute. The most difficult part was negotiating the paving slabs adorning the drive.

I have to say, it was very stable and sure-footed. The extra grip and traction of having one rider per wheel and stability of a longer wheel base does inspire a lot more confidence then riding a normal solo bicycle.

I'm looking forward to trying it in proper snow now!

How does a one-wheel drive tricycle handle in these kind of conditions?

Re: Even covering of slush this morning!
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »
How does a one-wheel drive tricycle handle in these kind of conditions?

Slush is no problem.  Frozen ridged snow, sometimes even soft snow, is a b£$%rd.  The problem is keeping the single wheel in traction.  You can lean from the saddle to put weight on it, but that usually inhibits pedalling so speed drops.  In circumstances like that a bike makes better progress because of the weight over the drive.  It's 40 years since I last rode a fixed wheel trike in the snow so I cannot recall but I imagine that would be better because your legs would smooth out the slipping of the wheel.

A differential is better, but a two wheel drive is best.

« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:57:05 pm »
0ne wheel drive tricycle?  That'll be me Windcheetah then :thumbsup:

It handles very well, which is why I mostly use it in the winter.  If you approach a bend too fast but keep the power on you can get a really nice three wheel drift round the corner.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2008, 03:46:13 pm »
0ne wheel drive tricycle?  That'll be me Windcheetah then :thumbsup:

It handles very well, which is why I mostly use it in the winter.  If you approach a bend too fast but keep the power on you can get a really nice three wheel drift round the corner.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
+ 3.  (Wheels, that is...)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

richie_b

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2008, 04:03:49 pm »
I have to admit that this weather is prob my fault: I ordered a (recumbent, delta) trike last week, principally as a poor weather commuting tool.  Every commute since the order went in has been sub-zero & a little bit challenging.  Coincidence?
So I predict a warm, dry Jan...
My understanding is that they are a lot easier in ice & the other advantage is that they're harder to come off (I've already had 3 weeks off bike this winter after a sub-zero slip & injury).
Looking forward to drifting around corners on 3 wheels, since it's a teensy bit frightening to have back wheel drift when you're on 2 wheels.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
I remember one chap telling how his usual 45min trip to work took 1.5 hours in the snow.  45 mins to get to work, and another 45mins skidding around work's car park.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.