Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428538 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2000 on: 31 July, 2020, 07:26:29 pm »
I can see the bright yellow bottle I used today sat on the bonsai bench outside my office window.

Can I be arsed to unlock the back door and go get it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2001 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:44:45 am »
Being short-sighted, when I want to do something fiddly I usually peek over the top of my glasses.  Yesterday, getting the backing off a bit of helicopter tape was too fiddly even for that so I swapped my glasses for binocular magnifiers and peeked over the top of those.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2002 on: 01 August, 2020, 10:41:04 am »
Being short-sighted, when I want to do something fiddly I usually peek over the top of my glasses.  Yesterday, getting the backing off a bit of helicopter tape was too fiddly even for that so I swapped my glasses for binocular magnifiers and peeked over the top of those.
I have a similar problem: I wear varifocals, so if I want to do something like rewire a ceiling rose, or anything above my head, I'm looking through the distance part of the lens and I can't see  thing.  Until I recalled my music reading glasses - which focus about 3 feet in front of my face.

That works.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2003 on: 01 August, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
Yeah. I use my computer glasses for cutting my toenails.

« Reply #2004 on: 01 August, 2020, 01:25:29 pm »
I find clippers or scissors easier.

IGMC
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2005 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:09:21 pm »
I find clippers or scissors easier.

IGMC

I wondered why they weren't getting any shorter.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2006 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »
I have a similar problem: I wear varifocals, so if I want to do something like rewire a ceiling rose, or anything above my head, I'm looking through the distance part of the lens and I can't see  thing.  Until I recalled my music reading glasses - which focus about 3 feet in front of my face.

That works.

Have you tried the Dennis Taylor snooker glasses method - wearing yours upside down?  :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2007 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:55:23 pm »

That works.

Have you tried the Dennis Taylor snooker glasses method - wearing yours upside down?  :)
Hadn't thought of that!  Just had a dry run - I'd need to molish some sort of retaining apparatus, but it might work.

« Reply #2008 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:59:13 pm »
Surely you have a variety of old prescription lenses glasses that you can “adjust” the arms on?  I’ve just got two new pairs (collecting Friday) so can experiment with the ones I’m wearing now. Trying to thread STI cables in the shed I find the same problem, so inversion may help!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2009 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
Managed to stub my toe this morning. The same toe that I broke at the beginning of lockdown, and which still gives me twinges from time to time. :facepalm:

« Reply #2010 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:14:47 am »

That works.

But then you have the wrong lens in front of each eye.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2011 on: 03 August, 2020, 12:22:30 pm »

That works.

But then you have the wrong lens in front of each eye.

Or you'r looking through the lens backwards.  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2012 on: 04 August, 2020, 10:12:26 pm »
Gave myself mild sunstroke, on a not particularly warm or sunny day.  Didn't noticed I hadn't pee'd even after drink half a litre of coffee and litre and a half of water.  Even made sure I was in the shade too.  No sunburn tho.

« Reply #2013 on: 05 August, 2020, 11:33:16 am »
went to work on the bike yesterday.  packed my pannier the night before as usual.

Arrived at work to find my breakfast and lunch but no underwear!

Thankfully two pairs of scrubs trousers works very well.

« Reply #2014 on: 05 August, 2020, 11:59:11 am »
Gave myself mild sunstroke, on a not particularly warm or sunny day.  Didn't noticed I hadn't pee'd even after drink half a litre of coffee and litre and a half of water.  Even made sure I was in the shade too.  No sunburn tho.
Entirely unrelated, many a year ago I completed the London-Brighton. Which I found quite unpleasant, partly as I had sunstroke. All the symptoms, thumping headache, hot, tired. At the finish St Johns Ambulance had a field hospital set up which would have graced a minor war. Scum approaches first aid lady and begs a paracetamol. Ohhh noo Mr Scum - we are not allowed to give out drugs. So WTF is your function then? Are you waiting for a sudden outbreak of cub scouts with broken forearms so you can apply triangular bandages?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2015 on: 05 August, 2020, 08:35:36 pm »
Entirely unrelated, many a year ago I completed the London-Brighton. Which I found quite unpleasant, partly as I had sunstroke. All the symptoms, thumping headache, hot, tired. At the finish St Johns Ambulance had a field hospital set up which would have graced a minor war. Scum approaches first aid lady and begs a paracetamol. Ohhh noo Mr Scum - we are not allowed to give out drugs. So WTF is your function then? Are you waiting for a sudden outbreak of cub scouts with broken forearms so you can apply triangular bandages?

Least they could have done is bandaged something.

Anyway I have been feeling like I have had a major hungover all day today.  So minimal DIY and driving.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2016 on: 05 August, 2020, 08:44:30 pm »
Are you waiting for a sudden outbreak of cub scouts with broken forearms so you can apply triangular bandages?

Shirley the cubs can bandage their own forearms using woggles and so on?  Unless they're busy removing things from horses' hooves with a Swiss Army Knife, of course.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2017 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:13:50 pm »
Are you waiting for a sudden outbreak of cub scouts with broken forearms so you can apply triangular bandages?

Shirley the cubs can bandage their own forearms using woggles and so on?  Unless they're busy removing things from horses' hooves with a Swiss Army Knife, of course.

Nah. We didn't have Swiss Army Knives.  We had this. With completely useless horse's hoof bodger.
https://images.app.goo.gl/QSwQBGAfSZJxqHLY8
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2018 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:23:01 pm »
That's for sea scouts - the horses would drown.

ElyDave

« Reply #2019 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:23:55 pm »

Not if they were sea horses

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2020 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »

Ain't no hooves on that bitch!

ElyDave

« Reply #2021 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »

Ain't no hooves on that bitch!

Oooh, claws out!

fuzzy

« Reply #2022 on: 05 August, 2020, 11:29:25 pm »
That looks more like a splicing spike to me.
Used by salty folk to open up the lay of ropes to splice other ropes into it.

« Reply #2023 on: 06 August, 2020, 01:11:23 am »
A fid.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2024 on: 06 August, 2020, 07:30:45 am »
A fid is a fantastically useful tool. Should never have a sharp point.

For opening up ropes when splicing.
Undoing stubborn knots.
Lifting/moving metal things with sharp edges (these usually have holes in them somewhere, you stick the fid in the hole and now you have a strong grip with no risk of sharp edges cutting fingers).
<i>Marmite slave</i>