Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 443077 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3925 on: 29 August, 2023, 08:47:21 am »
Applied two coats during the course of today, which achieved this: 0.  Backs of my hands are now actually glowing in the dark.  Need to find a bike shop and buy some track mitts.

Biafine was originally developed to treat superficial burns.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3926 on: 31 August, 2023, 11:33:43 am »
That'd be my esteemed colleague.  He went on holiday to Spain for 2 weeks with his family, taking his new company car to the airport.  On arrival at the destination airport, his suitcase was missing. Complaints made to the Jet2 desk, but a transfer bus had to be boarded. As they were on the bus, his wife enquired if he'd taken his case out of the front boot.....   He has a Tesla company car. And yes, his case was indeed still in the front luggage area of that car, parked in the Luton airport long term car park.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3927 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:43:29 am »
Put way too much water in the coffee machine.  Taste barely registers.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3928 on: 04 September, 2023, 03:47:12 am »
“Shitty bollocks!” exclaimed Mr Larrington after knocking his nearly full mug of tea off the bedside table and onto the floor. “Now I have to wait another age for the kettle to boil with these feeble USAnian voles!”

« Reply #3929 on: 04 September, 2023, 10:28:11 am »
Double divvery

Trying to repair SiL's shoes, I cut out repair patch, smear it with glue and shove it in the shoe. Because I'm rushing, I don't bother to go get a glove. Hand is now covered in glue.

I set pan of split fava beans to cook on stove and sit down to read a book. Think "must stir beans". Too late, they are burnt black onto pan. Didn't even smell it.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3930 on: 04 September, 2023, 12:24:06 pm »
Yesterday.
In Sainos.
Having had to summon the Till Wizard for the third time and pointed out to her that 'These scales are defective'.

TW - You're older than you look, aren't you?
Me - What?
TW - Are you retired?
Me - WTF???
TW - What you should do is put your basket on this side, scan your shopping, and then put the shopping onto this side.
Not the other way around.
Me -  :facepalm: :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :-[

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3931 on: 04 September, 2023, 08:53:46 pm »
The cooker had a three faults and I could no longer ignore it, so today I took on the task of removing the back panel, the side Panama, the instrument facia and the top. Having taken all these parts off it I realised that I might have managed without taking the side panels,off, but they weren’t really that much extra work. I fiddled and produled about with a multimeter disconnected a few wires and even dismantled one of the rotary switches. I couldn’t find anything definitively wrong, but there was a HR through some switch contacts who I seemed to clear when I rebuilt the rotary switch. I put all the wires back in place and gingerly plugged it back in. No bangs or pops. The grill now partially worked, as it has done for a long time until recently, and the ignition works again. I _think there might be another HR in the second element circuit of the grill, but without a circuit diagram, I can’t be sure and I am NOT going to start taking the wiring loom apart.

So why an entry here, I here you ask.

It still had to be put back together. I put the side panels back on, and put the top on., I hooked the facia panel on and looked for the pot of screws to fasten on the bits now in place. I looked on the kitchen work tops where all the tools,I was using were. I looked over by the sink. I even went out and looked  it the shed.

I took the facia off and removed the top, and there nestled in amongst the insulation was my little pot of screws  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3932 on: 04 September, 2023, 11:36:21 pm »
Yesterday.
In Sainos.
Having had to summon the Till Wizard for the third time and pointed out to her that 'These scales are defective'.

TW - You're older than you look, aren't you?
Me - What?
TW - Are you retired?
Me - WTF???
TW - What you should do is put your basket on this side, scan your shopping, and then put the shopping onto this side.
Not the other way around.
Me -  :facepalm: :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :-[

To be fair, a lot of those tills are NOT clear which side is which. They could make it a LOT clearer, with pic of basket where that goes and a pile of shopping for the shopping rather than 2 identikit silver surfaces and the unintuitive one being for the basket.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3933 on: 04 September, 2023, 11:46:24 pm »
No doubt the person who designed the thing knew which one had the scales in it, so never considered that to be a point of confusion.  To be fair, it's usually fairly obvious.  That is, until there aren't any scales, at which point the user might stand there like an idiot crippled by indecision... (DAHIKT).

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3934 on: 05 September, 2023, 12:09:26 am »
Intuitively I place the shopping "shop-side" and scan/pack toward the exit. Who does it backwards?
When they don't set the tills up this way I've been caught out a several of times.
Sainos and tescos are the worst for this ime.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #3935 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:19:59 am »
Every damn shop uses a different design. They are never ergonomically designed for ease of use, but to suit the positioning of the internal components. And as for the continual nagging......

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3936 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:46:42 am »
Ah, the "which side does what" question.

I was at a large construction site in London's Famous London last week. I've done the  induction course, been fingerprinted*, shown my passport, so got issued with a magnetic card to work the turn stile.

Go in fine. Meet sub contractor, do things, time to go. Get to row of turnstiles, get card out, slap it on the reader, push turnstile. Beep. No movement.  Try again. Same result. Arse.  Finally realise that the layout is for right handed people, while I'm left handed, so I'd been tapping my card on the reader for the adjacent turnstile.

*more accurately had my index finger read by their biometric wotsit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3937 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:57:31 am »
Every damn shop uses a different design. They are never ergonomically designed for ease of use, but to suit the positioning of the internal components. And as for the continual nagging......

Sainsbury's seem to have removed the volume control, so you can't turn off the nagging.  Bastards.

To be fair, I'd forgive nearly all their flaws if they'd only set the timeout on the barcode scanner to something half-reasonable.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3938 on: 05 September, 2023, 02:48:42 pm »
Used on in Safeway yesterday evening.  It even shouted out the price of each item when it had successfully read the barcode  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3939 on: 05 September, 2023, 03:50:07 pm »
I've always wanted, but never dared, to put a sign on a cash dispenser reading "This device now uses voice recognition. Please state your PIN loudly and clearly".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

« Reply #3940 on: 05 September, 2023, 03:56:06 pm »
Wheelchair using friends have unfun with self humilation checkouts, especially where there's no staff to go to instead. One friend has an ongoing row with M&S about the lack of space and changing of perfectly good machines with new ones which are much less accessible. The local staff agree with her, but head office just spouts bullshit, so we may end up getting legally nasty at them, cos they had a working system and crammed in more machines and broke it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3941 on: 05 September, 2023, 06:50:06 pm »
Using a soldering iron to prise the component legs through the hole in the PCB was never going to end well as the rather fetching linear blister across the pad of my index finger will attest. Extra divary gained becasue i had a roll of desoldring braid in the box of electronic bits in the garage.

Mind ewe, removal of the capacitors would have been simpler had they not also been glued to the PCB  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3942 on: 05 September, 2023, 06:57:14 pm »
Using a soldering iron to prise the component legs through the hole in the PCB was never going to end well as the rather fetching linear blister across the pad of my index finger will attest. Extra divary gained becasue i had a roll of desoldring braid in the box of electronic bits in the garage.

Mind ewe, removal of the capacitors would have been simpler had they not also been glued to the PCB  >:(

Yep. That's all normal.

Initially, add a little bit of fresh solder to the joint to help transfer the heat to it.
Once it's flowing, use a sooker or braid to remove as much as possible.
Then with heat applied, wiggle the legs to break them free, often the soldering iron is enough for this. Otherwise, some needle-nose pliers.
Then rock the component firmly, applying further heat as required to break any remaining residual bits of solder.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3943 on: 05 September, 2023, 07:15:02 pm »
I couldn’t find my solder sucker and had forgotten I’d got the braid, so proceeded without either. The solder I was using to flux the existing 40 year old, but it was Pb free and thus a bit crap. I think I’ll be investing in a new solder sucker, so,if you’ve any recommendations for New. Shiny. Devices of this functionality please shout out.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3944 on: 05 September, 2023, 07:40:39 pm »
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Trudged down to Brizzle to pick a new laptop (don't get me started on -effing pointless- bean counter driven hardware refreshes) and am sitting there trying to get the festering coprolith that is the Wondoze 10 UI to look something like Win XP and as part of this exercise in despair failing miserably to find the "use small icons" option for the task bar, which I *know* used to be there.  Eventually give up and ask collegue, who points at the "use small buttons" option and looks at me pityingly.

<mutter>
They're not effing buttons.  Buttons have borders, bezels, drop shadows and "move" up and down when you click them. Those bloody things are icons.
</mutter>
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3945 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:04:20 pm »
I couldn’t find my solder sucker and had forgotten I’d got the braid, so proceeded without either. The solder I was using to flux the existing 40 year old, but it was Pb free and thus a bit crap. I think I’ll be investing in a new solder sucker, so,if you’ve any recommendations for New. Shiny. Devices of this functionality please shout out.

My solder suckers are as old as the hills, so I have no current advice!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3946 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:05:01 pm »

In which case adding leaded solder would also help, by bringing the melting point down to something sensible.  (You can also get special super-low-melting-point solder specifically for de-soldering complicated SMD parts, but I've not tried it.)

With solder suckers the key seems to be not persisting with one where you've melted the crap out of the tip to the detriment of suction (DAHIKT).  And they don't really work on plated through-holes, which makes them a lot less useful than they used to be.  I frequently end up resorting to hot air to de-solder multi-pin through-hole connectors, and then tidying up with braid.

barakta

« Reply #3947 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:53:26 pm »

Trudged down to Brizzle to pick a new laptop (don't get me started on -effing pointless- bean counter driven hardware refreshes) and am sitting there trying to get the festering coprolith that is the Wondoze 10 UI to look something like Win XP and as part of this exercise in despair failing miserably to find the "use small icons" option for the task bar, which I *know* used to be there.  Eventually give up and ask collegue, who points at the "use small buttons" option and looks at me pityingly.

<mutter>
They're not effing buttons.  Buttons have borders, bezels, drop shadows and "move" up and down when you click them. Those bloody things are icons.
</mutter>

I have to Google everything in Windoze (and indeed MacOS when on tech support duty) now. It's infuckingfuriating.

Why can't things be named consistently and in logical findable places.

UI has gone to shit even more than usual in recent years. Lots of Mastodon threads of accessibility bods talking about how flummoxed elderly parents (with and without dementia/cognitive impairment) find it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3948 on: 06 September, 2023, 03:20:35 am »

<mutter>
</mutter>

Open-Shell (formerly Classic Shell) is your friend: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3949 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:54:09 am »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
Open-Shell (formerly Classic Shell) is your friend: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
See PM. 
Lurk.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου