Linked Events

• Round & round the M25: 05 June, 2010

Author Topic: Round & round the M25 - 5th June 2010  (Read 23791 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Round & round the M25 - 5th June 2010
« Reply #100 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
I'm still thinking about this, but the two days with a bit of camping in the middle is the plan. If I do it next year it is only 3-4 years after I had the idea :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #101 on: 25 November, 2010, 11:16:01 am »
...If I do it next year it is only 3-4 years after I had the idea :)

You can't rush these things!

I still think I prefer your two day approach to doing it.  It's possible with the new red shiny bike I may be blindingly fast, but if the guys who did this back in June, were stopping for energy drinks, I know I'd be having problems!
Actually, it is rocket science.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #102 on: 25 November, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »
At the time, I did also discuss doing this as a night ride.  Perhaps a better option might be to start Saturday night, so that then we arrive back late Sunday morning.  That would have the easiest traffic overall, although to be honest, it wasn't really an issue.

However, the major downside is that running it at night would mean for the first half until you reached Heathrow/the M4, the only place to get a train would mean a detour down to Horley, as for everywhere else on the southern half of the route on either a Saturday or Sunday morning, the trains don't start running until 6 - 6.30 am.  So there's no other bail out points.
True...no ideal time to run it, all the options have drawbacks.  An evening start might be a good compromise- say 7 or 8 pm. Time to make the last trains of the night on the southern half, not so long to wait for them on the northern part, cooler temperatures should make for easier going anyway.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #103 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »
Another resurrection: Paul Harding, the organiser of the attempted LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion I did this year, has had a familiar-sounding idea. Notwithstanding the multiple issues I had with that, as some of you well know, I thought 'hmmm, interesting'... Next year is the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War, and there will be commemorative events on the weekend of 16-17 June (ceasefire anniversary is 14th). The distance that the British forces marched over the course of the campaign is about the same as a lap of the M25. Paul's idea is to set off from Horse Guards Parade at 8am on the 16th, head out to the M25 (his route looks, unsurprisingly, very similar to Adam's), and go clockwise over the course of two days, about 100 on the first day & 70 on the second (with overnight accomodation), returning to HGP for whatever parade/ceremony is being held.  I have already pointed out both this thread and the possibility to do it in one day....

« Reply #104 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
I'm not really sure yet what my charity ride will be for 2012 but it will be around the solstice for obvious reasons.

However, that said I am quite keen to do the M25 ride in a day as I've heard quite a bit about it. I may as well start bargaining for weekend passes for 2012 now!!  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #105 on: 15 October, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »
Events had conspired against me, to manage to organise it for this year.

Looking at the calendar, the summer solstice is 20/21st June.  So how about Saturday 23rd June?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #106 on: 15 October, 2011, 10:03:42 pm »
Events had conspired against me, to manage to organise it for this year.

Looking at the calendar, the summer solstice is 20/21st June.  So how about Saturday 23rd June?

Yay! :)

Paul commented on Facebook that  "I know its do-able in a day, but it would be a long day". As with his LeJOG, I'm not quite sure he gets the idea.....100 & then 70 miles over two days isn't exactly challenging to many in these online parts, and plenty of us (including myself) have done it in one without problems.