Author Topic: Yay! I got a new toy too!  (Read 7112 times)

richie_b

Yay! I got a new toy too!
« on: 23 May, 2008, 09:39:47 pm »
After months of deciding and a few weeks of waiting, I am now the very proud owner of a black satin Challenge Fujin SLII!   ;D ;D

Went out riding with Laidback & all of the wonderful things that are said about this bike are true!

I had a perma-grin whilst riding it & may have let out a whoop of excitement at one point whilst accelerating.

It has also helped whilst out riding with Laidback.  He's both a better climber and sprinter than I am, but I was able to drop him on climbs for the first time today  :thumbsup:

Best bike I've ever ridden  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Photos to follow

richie_b

Re: Yay! I got a new toy too!
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:01:52 pm »
Photos:

Me holding bike....

Riding bike....

& the bike in all her carbon fibre loveliness

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »
Chain's a bit slack long.

V. Nice.  I'm having an "n+1" moment.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »
Either thats a stunning bicycle or my trousers just got 2 inches shorter ;D

richie_b

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:53:08 pm »
Chain's a bit slack long.

V. Nice.  I'm having an "n+1" moment.

I was told the replacement cost of that chain today  :o :o :o
When that chain dies, it might not get replaced with the same thing...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:37:48 am »
What a pretty machine!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:11:10 am »
How fast does it go?

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:59:07 am »
How do you ride that without a headrest?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

richie_b

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
How fast does it go?
That would normally depend on how hard I'm pedalling!  A lot faster for the same effort than anything else I've ridden, if that helps.
The position is quite similar to that of the Nazca Fuego (my other bike), so I'm quite used to it & only tend to get any soreness in my neck when I'm tense, so heavy traffic can be a pain, but otherwise it's no bother.
The top of the seat is too low to fit any sort of useful headrest anyway...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:27:44 am »

Practice?  Srsly, I've never felt the need for a headrest (though Cosimo does have a piece of handlebar grip glued to the leading edge of the tail fairing to prevent my neck from being sawn in two).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
It's not often I have little moments about bicycles, Richie... But that's pure filth  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:39:19 am »
Clearly I am lacking in sit ups and neck/chiropractor interface!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tiger

« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:04:45 pm »
Welcome to the SL2 fun.  I still love mine, even though I have had to rebuild it 3 times now. And yes the 3 chain costs a fortune. Treat it with care is what I say.

Keep a close eye on the rear fork gusset underneath and the front forks at the crown - both stress points if you hit a pothole or a cattle grid.

I have a headrest - works a treat - suppoprts the neck just behind the head and I couldn't  do big mileage without it.  It is a standard carbon strut with a rest made out of 'noodle' foam, with a sock over it so it looks OK.

I found that bigger tyres made a much more comfortable ride on rough roads, after I broke spokes with the stelvios.

Radical make a small bag that fits the SL2 just perfect for a hydration bladder etc.

Have fun!

richie_b

« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »
It's not often I have little moments about bicycles, Richie... But that's pure filth  :D
She is quite pretty isn't she?  I do feel very bad for being unfaithful to my reliable everyday bike with this flighty wee thing though...

Welcome to the SL2 fun.  I still love mine, even though I have had to rebuild it 3 times now. And yes the 3 chain costs a fortune. Treat it with care is what I say.

Keep a close eye on the rear fork gusset underneath and the front forks at the crown - both stress points if you hit a pothole or a cattle grid.

I have a headrest - works a treat - suppoprts the neck just behind the head and I couldn't  do big mileage without it.  It is a standard carbon strut with a rest made out of 'noodle' foam, with a sock over it so it looks OK.

I found that bigger tyres made a much more comfortable ride on rough roads, after I broke spokes with the stelvios.

Radical make a small bag that fits the SL2 just perfect for a hydration bladder etc.

I've read about the stress points & will be watching.  Paul V seems to have made a number of improvements based on feedback (the idler problem has now gone) & I know that they were going to attempt to beef up the rear end a little, so fingers crossed I'll not snap the frame!

Bigger tyres?  Which ones are you using?  I've gone for the 650c rear wheel & can't find much that isn't 23mm & not much that looks fast at 25mm (& nothing fatter).  I was quite prepared to put up the discomfort, but breaking spokes doesn't sound like fun!
(I was going to stick with 23mm up front & am happy with the Stelvio there, it's the rear that concerns me).

Which Radical bag do you mean?  I was thinking of the US bag & bladder thing (Fastback systems), but I'd prefer to use Radical.  I wasn't sure that the Aero would fit, nor was confident with buying the Solo Racer without trying: it'd be good to hear from someone who has used these things...

Have fun!

Is it possible not to on a Fujin?   :thumbsup:

& thanks you for the positive comments, I've passed them on & she's sat looking very proud in the kitchen  ;)

richie_b

« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:13:10 pm »
Oh!  I forgot!  Can I ask if anyone has ideas on how best to mount a GPS on the ver narrow tiller bars.  Is a Minoura Spacegrip the best option?  Will this gub up my aerodynamics (because I am fast enough to notice! *coughs*)?  Fuddle with the bars until it kinda works?
Ideas, please!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:33:03 am »
Terracles accessory mount?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tiger

« Reply #16 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:46:38 am »
Terracles accessory mount?

The terracycle mount is the only mount you should allow near your lovely bike - you can mount the GPS on the tiller so that it is exactly at eye level which is sweet.

The Radical bag to get IMHO is the lowracer bag which fits the fujin like a glove and is perfectly aero behind the seat. It is a quality piece of kit, and has light holders too.

Rear tyre - I am now running Vredestein Moire rear and have found it much better for road use - just a little more give and grips on hills in the wet etc which I found the stelvio didn't. It is a tight squeeze with the brake callipers though. Likewise on the front I have a slightly larger tyre than the stelvio for road use - I am paranoid about front end slippage under braking. I had to trial and error different brands until I could get a tyre inflated inside the calipers that didn't rub.

I would use stelvios if I knew I was on good roads in good weather though, or racing.

richie_b

« Reply #17 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
Ooooh, those Terracycle mounts are rather lovely, aren't they?
I might have to get a few whilst the dollar is so low.  I presume that there's no too much bother getting them shipped over here.  Is there import tax to pay on top of the price?
Is the radical bag that one with a bit each side?
The Vredestein tyre that you're using is 26" (559) rather than 650c (571) & don't come in my size.  650c/571 tyres tend just to be roady ones & 23mm....  Och well!

Tiger

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:12:31 pm »
I might have to get a few whilst the dollar is so low.  I presume that there's no too much bother getting them shipped over here.  Is there import tax to pay on top of the price?
Is the radical bag that one with a bit each side?
The Vredestein tyre that you're using is 26" (559) rather than 650c (571) & don't come in my size.  650c/571 tyres tend just to be roady ones & 23mm....  Och well!

Yes - bit of bag each side. lust right for hydration, tools, and wetkit.  For shorter rides a bumbag with a belt-bottle holder is enough but for an audax etc you need a bit more capacity I find.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:57:22 am »

IIRC they may be had from Trikes'n'Stuff, wot are the UK importers of Catrike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

richie_b

« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:47:01 pm »
IIRC they may be had from Trikes'n'Stuff, wot are the UK importers of Catrike.
Thank you for this, I'll be emailing presently...