Author Topic: MTB for my little sis  (Read 2037 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
MTB for my little sis
« on: 18 March, 2009, 03:38:31 pm »
I realise there aren't many people into mountain bikes on this fourm, but it's worth a try. My parents are thinking of getting my sister a mountain bike and are asking me for advice. However, my knowledge of mountain bikes is no longer up to date, seeing as ridge steel frames, bar ends and V-brakes are what I consider the norm for a cross-country bike and I've lost touch with groupsets since it was STX, STX-RC, LX, XT, XTR.  Hmm....

Anyway, this Giant Arete is one of the things they're thinking of & they've found a 2008 model for £500 (opposed to £700). I imagine she'll be using it on forest tracks, such as Coed y Brenin and on road as well. Narrow, steep, technical singletracks are likely to be avoided.  Does anyone have opinions on the bike in question or suggests for something else? Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bikenerd

Re: MTB for my little sis
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2009, 07:24:24 pm »
The Giant looks good.  Maybe a bit over priced at £700, but on the nail at £500.
Other brands to look at: Specialized, Trek and Kona all do women's specific bikes.  Mrs Nerd has a Trek 4500 from a number of years ago.  A bit heavy bit rides well (so I've been told, it's like a BMX for me! :))

Look for: a Rockshox fork (they are the best in terms of reliability and ride at the budget end) of about 100mm travel, hydraulic disc brakes and Deore components.

Also look for a slackish head angle, under 70 deg as opposed to something racy (usually 70 to 72deg), unless she's going to race.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: MTB for my little sis
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
Thanks for that, it's most useful; I'll pass on the info.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/