Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2173237 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1575 on: 24 April, 2010, 10:52:47 pm »
I built the rear wheel for Mrs Tewdrics new tourer, and fettled the gears on my Audax bike.  One of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra derailleur had torn and a flap of nylon was causing the chain to skip.  Took a while to work that one out!

« Reply #1576 on: 25 April, 2010, 04:44:13 pm »
I cleaned and serviced my MTB

« Reply #1577 on: 25 April, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »
Tyre pressure on the Enigma ready for commuting next week.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1578 on: 25 April, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »
The mudflaps on the Longstaff are tearing so I reinforced them with some gaffer tape.

« Reply #1579 on: 25 April, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »
The mudflaps on the Longstaff are tearing so I reinforced them with some gaffer tape.

The rear on Stoker's tourer has been thus fettled for nearly three years!  ;D

« Reply #1580 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:15:52 pm »
New Territory....

One of the wheels on the Catrike has been "graunchy", so I decided to take it into a bike shop to see if they could do anything.

Then I thought  - I have an old wheel in the garage from when I crunched the rim on a pothole. SO I disassembled this and reassembled.

Bought bearings and fitted them myself..... another skill acuired!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1581 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »
Emily and I turned my old mtb into a pannier carrying, Vittoria Randonneur 26x1.5 road tyres wearing load carrying machine.

Tee-hee - she still has no idea that a week from now I'll be exchanging cold hard cash for Ed-o-brains Pearson Hanzo for her. :D
Shh!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #1582 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
Commute bike seemed to be creaking from everywhere on Friday, bars, saddle/seatpost, cranks.

Disassembled all three bits, cleaned, greased in some cases, and reassembled.

Seems quiet now. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1583 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »
Replaced one piece of rotten wood in the eaves of the house. Finished undercoating the rest of the interminably substantial and cob web infested eaves and barge boards. Cleaned all the gutter downpipes - not one operating as Mr Marley intended. Unbodged Mrs Rdb's connection from one downpipe to a water butt so that it now works properly.

Next weekend..........more painting, but instead of dark grey - I can use black!

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1584 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »
Repaired some p*nct*r*d inner tubes that have been hanging on the back of a chair since....erm....September last year  :-[  ::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1585 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »
Wiped a load of oil from the "fast" Brompton wheel that has been hanging in the garage since the last BWC.  I somewhat over-oiled the hub for the event.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1586 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »
Adjusted new honey Brooks that I fitted the other day.

Hoping to break this one in quite quickly, I hate how slippy they are at first.

« Reply #1587 on: 26 April, 2010, 08:05:35 am »
Resealed the bath/shower. Don't think it leaks this time :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1588 on: 26 April, 2010, 08:44:15 am »
Over the weekend, rebuilt my Mythtv box (the old one went BANG in a spectacular style).

Clean and lubed the Ridley.

Adjusted one of the stays on the rear crud racer guard so I could fit a pannier.

This morning:

Moved the stay back as it was now catching the wheel magnet!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1589 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:53:05 am »
Swapped saddles yesterday fromMrs Aidans  Raliegh Mixte thingy to the Spesh Sirrus which has liberated one of my Brooks B17s

Mrs Aidan doesnt do big miles and doesnt like Brooks saddles:hand:  (is there a shaking head smilie? ;D)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1590 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:43:09 pm »
Seat post clamp.

This was a mistake. 15 miles from home I decided to try and do something about an irritating intermittent click. So I tightened a few things, including the seat post clamp, which responded with an even louder click as the threads stripped. This left me with freely rotating saddle about 5 inches nearer the ground. Fortunately there was an LBS a couple of miles away who supplied a replacement. So I only had 2 miles of looking like a total plonker.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1591 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »
Sunday I fixed a hot tap so it (a) turns more than half a turn and (b) does so with silky smoothness not seen outside of an Epilady advert.

This lunchtime I mended the chain on my fixer (see commuting thread) with a Taya Sigma connector. I'll let you know how it gets on.

And tightened the chain, obv.

And tightened the band on my Minoura Space Grip, post bar tape replacement. 6 years old, still going strong.  There, that'll guarantee it breaks on the way home.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rdaviesb

« Reply #1592 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:14:11 pm »
I'm off to Londinium Town tomorrow, so I've hosed the remainder of Birmingham off the Dahon, fitted a new front light and polished the Dromarti shoes to a fine shine  8)

« Reply #1593 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:22:01 pm »
I noticed some rust on the chainstay of my Orange (Phil) Oakey, so I wet n Dry-ed it down to metal, and Hammerited it back to full fitness.  Shame the Hammerite is silver, and the paintwork is orange, but never mind.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYuIeufKoeo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OYuIeufKoeo&rel=1</a>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1594 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
Noo inners (Brakes and gears)
Noo outers (ditto)
Noo bar tape. (obv)
Major overhaul of canti inner bits.

Bugger me!  I now need a health and safety warning on my hoods.  :o

"Touching these levers will cause this bicycle to reduce speed to 0 MPH IMMEDIATELY!"
"The rider himself may not slow down as quickly"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1595 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:49:27 pm »
New chainset on the Mercian.

The old one was stuck fast and I'd stripped the extracting thread, so it was......

ANGLE GRINDER TIME!

No injuries to self or bike.   :thumbsup:

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1596 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »
Air can service on the rear shock on the mountain bike.  Oil got absolutely everywhere but I now understand why they are so expensive.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1597 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:28:11 am »
Ten days fetteling PC due to problems and mail order delays.

Added new video card. Switch mains back on and router dies.
Buy new ADSL router and impulse buy faster processor.
Added new processor wrongly and broke cpu and/or motherboard.  ???
Tried old cpu fans spin but no boot. Certainly motherboard.
New motherboard and another new cpu obtained. Fans do not spin new motherboard does not like old power supply.
Added new power supply and the completely dead system leaped into life.

I didn't really need the video card.  :(

Chris S

« Reply #1598 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »
Temporarily put the rear Marathon+ back on the Pompino - replacing the GP4 Seasons that seems to be causing permanent punctures in the same place - but I just cannot see anything untoward in the tyre. It was getting expensive in tubes and had to come off...  >:(

I have a long overnight ride planned. Funny how a slight loss in trust of ones bike can suddenly make one a wee bit nervous.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1599 on: 01 May, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »
Put a 11cm riser stem on the Hewitt to replace the 11cm "flat" (whatever angle it is) stem.  It looks a bit gawky, but I want to try it on a long ride and see if it reduces neck pain.  The bars are now at the same level as the saddle and a bit closer; Paul Hewitt recommended the 11cm rather than 10cm stem for me, but I think he goes for excessively stretched positions; I generally use the "one cubit and a couple of inches" rule.

The other bikes can stay racy, because they're generally used for shorter trips and low bars are also  better for climbing.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.