Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134452 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #750 on: 04 July, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
Oh yes, installed the new bling stem.

« Reply #751 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:28:40 am »
Oh yes, installed the new bling stem.

Must be time for a photo
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #752 on: 05 July, 2009, 12:50:25 pm »

Just swapped the 20T for a 17T sprocket.
Way too much flexor action going on.  ;D
A nanosecond before I broke its tenacious bite, my watch went flying off.  :o
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #753 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »
Not fettled SS's Trek.  One brake kinda done; the other not returning properly.  Chain fitted but slightly stiff link (although gears aligned OK).  Lots of frustration.

Off to replace Butterfly's brake blocks.  Wish me luck! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #754 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »
I had to fettle my chain about 6 foot from the front door, as I left for Sainsburys earlier.  If it was about to give way, I am so glad it did it at that point, rather than half way up Ditchling, or even fifteen miles from home at London Fields, which could so easily have happened yesterday. :o

The chain was probably a link too long anyway, which has now been forcefully remedied!

I could have dealt with it using my normal toolkit (and in fact did), but it's much easier to clean black gunge off of your hands with a sink, and hot water.  Even with disposable gloves, it's virtually impossible not to get some blackness on you with a freshly oiled chain!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #755 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »
Fitted stabilisers to the young lad next door's bike. I'd tried to persuade his parents (and him) he should adopt the scoot along method to no avail.

Bike had a 3 speed block and the mech was fouling the stabiliser, so it had to go.

Lad's mum brought round a bottle of wine as a thank you, which was nice.  I think the rear tyre has a puncture, so I'll fettle that tomorrow.

Oh, and another one. Four weeks ago a friend rang. She was out cycling with a friend of hers, allegedly training for a triathlon. Friend's pedal had fallen off, just south of Tuners Hill, of FNRttC fame. From the description the crank bolt had come out. I was unable to go and fix it, but tried to help over the phone, to no avail.

Anyway...fast forward to today. My friend phoned up. She was going to a barbecue at her friend's. Could I pop round and have a look at the bike. We did so, after helping with the dog (see Where the Wild Things Are).

The crank was indeed separated from the bike. The bolt was found. I produced an allen key from my bag and thirty seconds later the job was done.

How can people not know enough to fix such a simple thing?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #756 on: 08 July, 2009, 08:54:02 pm »
Cor - busy day of fettling.

I stripped down & rebuilt a dp brake (never touched them before) to get it to work, trimmed the gears, applied bar tape, set up a computer, then stood back and smiled. :)

Then I looked out of the window, and, as I did, a seaful of water fell out of the sky, so we deferred the shakedown ride.

I hope the bairn is happy with it.  We're off for a trundle tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #757 on: 08 July, 2009, 08:58:04 pm »
I got a quill to ahead adaptor for my new bike.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #758 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »
I have fixed my dysfunctional bath tap.  Hurrah!

I have not fixed my dysfunctional oven.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #759 on: 09 July, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »
I've been good today gave my bike a good clean from top to bottom it's all nice and shiny now it's a shame to take it out just to get it covered in moo cow poo again :(

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #760 on: 10 July, 2009, 12:08:16 am »
See 'Une petit bolleaux' in Freewheeling.  :o

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #761 on: 10 July, 2009, 12:40:51 am »
Finally got around to fitting a complete new set of ergo cables (inners & outers, brakes and gears) that I've had sitting here for a few weeks, plus new bar tape, to get the Audax bike ready for LEL. The old ones had been on for 15 months and as the bike has done one or two miles since then, I thought it best to change rather than risk a cable failing.

That meant I also sorted out the cable lengths, which really needed a couple of inches taking off between the shifters and the frame cable stops following a jiggle with my stem and spacers some months ago.

Just been out to try it; shifting is suddenly much lighter and crisper than before - like having a new transmission  - and my cables no longer rub on the fork crown mounted front light.

A very satisfying evening's work :thumbsup:

« Reply #762 on: 10 July, 2009, 05:57:37 pm »
I have installed a new Ultegra rear dérailleur onto the Etape and a new chain.
My new bottle cages have arrived at the LBS too so I shall go and get them in the morning.

That will mean the bike is complete.

« Reply #763 on: 10 July, 2009, 08:34:13 pm »

And then will it be time for a photo or two?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #764 on: 10 July, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »
I can't see GruB wanting to display photos of his bike on an internet forum ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #765 on: 10 July, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »

And then will it be time for a photo or two?

You are right.  I have been good.  I have waited to show the new Hope bling blue stem, Ultegra compact cranks, Ultegra mechs and bottle cages.  I could have done this as staged disclosure but I thought too many would comment  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #766 on: 13 July, 2009, 02:10:32 pm »
I have taken two motor-car loads of assorted bobbins to the tip and as a result can now see my kitchen floor for the first time since Christmas.  Also the Speedmachine's chain is currently soaking in a pan of de-slaper as it contains approximately 250 stiff links.

As do I.  My arms ache, my legs ache, my lower back aches, my shoulders ache and my right achilles tendon is asking politely not to be used for walking.  It's probably pig plague.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #767 on: 18 July, 2009, 01:43:24 pm »
Finally removed the 170mm cranks from my fixed commuting bike.  The drive side crank has been stuck on there for about 3 years, since I mangled the threads on the crank.

It came off with judicious use of a hammer and chisel.  Why didn't I think of that before?

Just having a cuppa cha now before I go and fit some 165mm cranks for that extra spinniness.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #768 on: 18 July, 2009, 01:57:45 pm »
Slightly off topic. While GillP was specifying her Hewitt Cheviot in the shop I was watching Paul Hewitt fitting the gear cables to a similar model in the workshop area. There is something very satisfying in watching somebody doing something that they have done hundreds of times before. He was like a well oiled machine as he selected and cut the outer cables and threaded the inners. Reaching for tools and components by habit rather than actually needing to look. He doesn't exactly bubble with enthusiasm but he looked totally at ease and at one with the job. Very Zen.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #769 on: 18 July, 2009, 02:31:55 pm »
In the last 24 hours I bolted the lights onto the Hewitt Cheviot and admired its pristine condition.  Then I went and rode it 105 miles on muddy flooded roads  ::-)

On Thursday I finished building Miss Z's hub gear wheel.  It's a Sturmey-Archer AW assembled from the best bits in my spares draw, 36h, 20" BMX rim, stainless DT Champion spokes (you can't get double-butted in 184mm).  Totally indestructible.  Gearing will be 36 x 20, giving nominal 27", 36" and 48" gears.  If she turns out to be the next Victoria Pendleton I can fit down to a 13T sprocket to give 42", 55" and 74"  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #770 on: 20 July, 2009, 07:50:31 pm »
After a 30s spray from something teflon-based in a can, my commuting bike now has StealthTM transmission.  It is now so quiet that I can't tell whether I'm pedalling or freewheeling.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #771 on: 21 July, 2009, 05:52:45 pm »
Fettled n+1 secondhand Brommie.  New extended seatpost and ebay bargain B17 saddle.  New cables all round.  Cleaned, inspected and  lubed front hub bearing and headset.  Cleaned, inspected  and lubed drivetrain.  Discovered I don't have a 22mm cone spanner any more, so put off fettling rear hub bearings and internals for a bit, but it's working perfectly so no hurry.  Works like a dream - what a bit of kit! :-)

alan

« Reply #772 on: 21 July, 2009, 09:38:38 pm »
Checked the tandem brakes  et. el.  'cause it will be having preciouscargo stoker soon.Grand-daughter tells me that we will be tandeming during school hols.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #773 on: 21 July, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »
New brake blocks on Theia's front end.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #774 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:26:24 pm »
still playing with the cars bottom ball joint.

Hour and a half my arse.