Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134182 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #775 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
I have sadly neglected my fixie recently, and the tyres were looking knackered so I bought some nice new Paselas for him. Whilst I had the back wheel off I rotated the cranks, lumpy and graunchy.  :-[   Looks like I'm going to spend some time stripping down a cup and cone bottom bracket for the first time.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #776 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:33:06 am »
I finished building my wheel (back for my fixie). :)
I forgot to stress the spokes. :(  I'm tempted to put it on the bike, ride 10 or so miles and then re-true it (and swap the old sprocket for a new one).  Would this be a truly bad idea?

« Reply #777 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:36:38 am »
Yesterday I took Cepheus (the tourer) out of the box in which he was shipped back across the Atlantic, and put him back together again.  Needs a ride to check everything's OK, and a bit of oil on the chain.  (Possibly a new chain, but finances do not really permit atm.)  Not sure if this counts as fettling, but it made me happy.

New saddle on the fixie on Monday - one of those nice Selle An-Atomica ones.  Cost more than the rest of the bike put together, mind...

« Reply #778 on: 22 July, 2009, 10:03:41 am »
I finished building my wheel (back for my fixie). :)
I forgot to stress the spokes. :(  I'm tempted to put it on the bike, ride 10 or so miles and then re-true it (and swap the old sprocket for a new one).  Would this be a truly bad idea?

Ideally back off all the nipples one turn, stress-relieve and then tighten everthing back up 1 turn, repeat the stress relief and retrue perfectly.  Otherwise just stress-relieve the spokes now and then see if it needs retrueing afterwards.  The point is to even out the tension within elements of the metal's structure at the elobiw, where the spoke wire ahs been bent.  Simply riding it may not do that evenly.  All IMHO of course, you'll get as nay different answers as responders to this one :-)

« Reply #779 on: 22 July, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
The issue is that I trued it (in a proper stand, which makes life easier) at the Tuesday night Cycle Workshop members night, and I want to ride it this weekend.  I don't have a trueing stand (and I'm not gonna have the time/space to make one).

I'll probably ride it Saturday, then stress it and re-true it next Tuesday.  Assuming the weather on the weekend doesn't suck too much.

All I did was swap a rim, so the spokes should be approx how they have always been, don't know if this makes any difference...

« Reply #780 on: 22 July, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »
Swopped the summer wheels/tyres into the best bike - not that I think "summer" is imminent, but a case of now or never!

And fitted a Nitto Mini Rear to the best every-day bike. The spare shorter stays I put on the matching mini front Nitto that I fitted last week. All very pleasing!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #781 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:23:29 am »
I have put in place a temporary solution to my ongoing Laundry Crisis by mending two pairs of trousis.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #782 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:13:05 pm »
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #783 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:14:08 pm »
I sorted my gear cables on my Woodrup so they aren't right at the end of their throw - thanks Pearsons! ::-)
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #784 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:33:39 pm »
As I'd moaned to Planet X that they'd shipped my bike with Ultegra long drop brakes which weren't correct, they've sent out some very fancy FSA SLK brakes as a replacement which I've just fitted. 

Very nice design and almost 25% lighter!  I just need to find a 2mm allen key to adjust the toe-in.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #785 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:58:28 pm »
The issue is that I trued it (in a proper stand, which makes life easier) at the Tuesday night Cycle Workshop members night, and I want to ride it this weekend.  I don't have a trueing stand (and I'm not gonna have the time/space to make one).

I'll probably ride it Saturday, then stress it and re-true it next Tuesday.  Assuming the weather on the weekend doesn't suck too much.

All I did was swap a rim, so the spokes should be approx how they have always been, don't know if this makes any difference...

If you can be arsed to ride/drive here (Wye Valley) then you're welcome to use my TS2 stand and tensiometer to get it perfect.  No doubt a nice ride to be had as well, as long as you don't mind HILLIES

« Reply #786 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »

If you can be arsed to ride/drive here...

Reminds me...hills were a bit easier after you got the gears working on my borrowed bike. Thank-you.

« Reply #787 on: 24 July, 2009, 12:39:39 pm »
The issue is that I trued it (in a proper stand, which makes life easier) at the Tuesday night Cycle Workshop members night, and I want to ride it this weekend.  I don't have a trueing stand (and I'm not gonna have the time/space to make one).

I'll probably ride it Saturday, then stress it and re-true it next Tuesday.  Assuming the weather on the weekend doesn't suck too much.

If you can be arsed to ride/drive here (Wye Valley) then you're welcome to use my TS2 stand and tensiometer to get it perfect.  No doubt a nice ride to be had as well, as long as you don't mind HILLIES

That's a very generous offer, but unfortunately the boss has a list of other things I'm supposed to be doing on the weekend.  Hopefully I'll get an hour or so to ride my bike (I'll just leave the back brake loose), and then I'll sort the wheel out properly on Tuesday.  Thank you though. :)
I like hillies (grew up just outside Newport), but it's a little while since I did any riding in that part of the world, so it  would definitely be a shock to the system.

« Reply #788 on: 24 July, 2009, 02:00:09 pm »
Pug 306 rad and cooling system, (needed cable ties and swearing) and the wheels of my Burrows SL for which a spoke key was enough.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #789 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »
I raised the saddle on my grandson's Postman Pat bike ......I'm guessing I'm slightly off thepace for this thread.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #790 on: 25 July, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
Meatloaf for next week's race - revealing that I need new headset bearings (oozing brown scunge and broken ball race) and a new BB (rattly rattly) as well as the brake blocks and lube job.  To the shop!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #791 on: 25 July, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »
Washed and photographed  ;D

« Reply #792 on: 25 July, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »
Got two lights and a reflector attached to the rack of the new bike. Fittings for this seem harder to come by than you'd think, but its only a little bit bodgy. Home alone with Miss Dan the Younger, so can't go out to test though.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #793 on: 25 July, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »
Checked the tandem brakes  et. el.  'cause it will be having preciouscargo stoker soon.Grand-daughter tells me that we will be tandeming during school hols.  :thumbsup:

Yay!!!

Have fun!

« Reply #794 on: 26 July, 2009, 04:38:36 pm »
Emergency pub garden fix: adjusted  the front derailleur (the one with the cable that broke on Sliding Hill) so that the chain would stay on the middle ring instead of the small one, thus enabling me to move at speeds higher than Dead Slow for the ride home. GRRRRR!

At least it didn't handicap me much getting to the pub. It was perfectly OK for the hill, the next stretch of road undulated enough to permit frantic twiddling alternating with freewheeling, then a lovely no-pedalling downhill cruise to the pub.

Do not, under pain of extreme torment, mention fixies.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #795 on: 26 July, 2009, 05:42:39 pm »
I removed some shelves from the wall of the spare room.  No wonder they were not very sturdy - half the rawl plugs stayed in the wall, and half had to be pulled out because they just turned hopelessly with the screw (and they pulled out quite easily  :-\).  Unfortunately, I've now got some holes in the wall. :(  Under 1cm in diameter though, so hopefully I can polyfilla them without it looking too bad...

« Reply #796 on: 27 July, 2009, 04:54:36 pm »
Stripped the Henry Burton right down of all its dérailleurness.
Put all the parts in a bag. Held bag and thought... Blimey, there's some weight there.
It's now a singlespeed 52 X 18 Alec Willitgoness Lightweight Special.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #797 on: 02 August, 2009, 12:14:25 pm »
As reported in another topic,  Pink, White and Blue bike required a new handlebar. This was an Eastion EA70 Oversize bar.  LBS tried to obtain a decent quality old standard bar.  All the distributors listed them but did not have any in stock.  So I told LBS replace the Stem that is as old as the bar that just snapped.  

Now 31.8mm flat bars get thicker as you move inwards.  The bar funriture I want to fit is brake, Rholoff shifter, grips and bar end. The thicker bar reduces the space.  It will not fit.  The LBS found a 10cm grip which is 3cm shorter than typical.  When I got the bike home the end plug of the bar fell out. Bar end only half on the bar. This is not good enough.

So begin work.  I swapped the bar ends and grips with Dawes Discover 101 which just happened to have Ergon GR2 gripshift grips.  Cane Creek + XLite Bar Ends were 13cm.  Ergon GR2 were just 11cm. Everything fits hooray.

rae

« Reply #798 on: 02 August, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »
Rewired most of the new place.   All of the plaster has been hacked off downstairs (to fix the damp), and dropping the ceiling was an easy decision.   250 metres of cable has gone in so far, and that's just the electrical bit.  1 more ring main to go.   Assorted spurs, insulation tape joints and rat chewed wires are now in the skip.  6Km of Cat5 is sitting in the garage and will be pulled tomorrow.    I was thinking of bunging HDMI cable all over the place, but it is far too expensive, and anyway, with 4 Gbit per room, I can shove whatever video I need over the network. 

alan

« Reply #799 on: 10 August, 2009, 02:01:09 pm »
22   Off Topic / The Pub / Re: What are you doing right now?  on: August 08, 2009, 08:21:50 pm 
Wondering why my neck,wrists,palms & ar$e ache.It was only 110 km FCOL 

What a difference half an inch makes.

Fettled the saddle height down .Much more as it should be :thumbsup: