Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168300 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1100 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
More fettling to Gordy's trike
Fitted a B17 saddle which allows a Carradice Camper Longflap to be strapped to the saddle loops.
Front lights
Rear lights & reflectors
Bar tape
Bottle cage (with a camlock for use on frames with no braze-ons)
Fitted a frame pump

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1101 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
Removed a B17 from the Longstaff & fitted a Swallow

« Reply #1102 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »
"Custom" fitted (as in made a bracket) a Blackburn MTN rack to the Jamis!

Getting chilly again here....
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1103 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
Tried again to get my drive side crank off - this time with more determination than before and once all thread had gone, with the application of a three-legged puller.

Still no joy. It is stuck faster than sticky Vicky snogging trip tricky Dicky on a day trip to Billericay.

Rings have a fair amount of life left in them so will leave it for now but I see a session with an angle grinder coming in the next 4 months or so.

H

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1104 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »
I've had that happen to me almost 20 years ago.  I have always greased the crank tapers since, and it's never happened again.

In my case it was a BMX-style BB but with a 3-piece crank so it was possible to remove the BB and crank even though the crank was stuck to the spindle.  With a conventional or cartridge BB you are stuffed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1105 on: 28 December, 2009, 03:55:56 pm »
If it's just one crank stuck to the axle and it's a traditional cup and cone BB, then you can remove the stuck crank and axle from the frame if the gap between the cup and crank is big enough and you can get a tool in there to loosen the cup. Of course the cup will still be trapped on the BB axle.

If the crank is going to be scraped, I would simply cut it off with a hacksaw.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1106 on: 28 December, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »
Have you tried a blowlamp yet?  Aluminium expands more than steel so it might loosen it off, but watch the paint.  It didn't work for me, I should add  :-\

« Reply #1107 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »
I was having the opposite problem today.  My left hand crank fell off half way through a three hour Trailquest.  I whacked it up as tight as I could with the three inches of leverage afforded by my multitool and one further retighten got me home.  Tonight it is going back on with the Loctite that I said I was going to use after the previous occurence. :-[

gordon taylor

« Reply #1108 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:40:08 pm »
I got my Surly CrossCheck going again. I pinched a few bits off it during the summer for other bikes but made an effort today to get it running properly. I had to bodge some locknuts and spacers on the rear (solid) axle - heaven knows where the original bits have gone.  ::-)

I've put studded tyres on, more in hope than expectation.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1109 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »
Had to swap valve heads on the track pumps today.  The Joe Blow isn't working properly, so it got the valve from the Wrench Force, which had a dodgy gauge.
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1110 on: 28 December, 2009, 07:33:56 pm »
Fitted a pair of home-made (well, factory made but heavily modified ) chaintugs to my fixed (forward facing drop-outs)   My legs are clearly too powerful as despite a lot of spanner welly on the tracknuts I've managed to pull the back wheel forward the last 3 or 4 times I've ridden the machine ... and you know what that means for the chain ......

I also fettled a dreadful flat-pack larder cupboard (new, made in China - surplus to the requirements of another yacf member) into an extension shelf unit for my bike fettling bench ... somewhere to store all those spare parts in some semblance of order ... and to be able to find them  ;D

Rob

« Reply #1111 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:07:45 pm »
I swapped out the 21t sprocket on my Alfine hub for an 18t sprocket, took a link out of the chain, reassembled everything, cleaned and re-lubed the chain thoroughly and all is well with the world.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1112 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:38:59 pm »
I started to fit the brompton rear light onto dearly_beloved's bike, which I realised has been sat in the dining room festering in a fair-to-middling coating of mud and road salt from him having gone out in the snow just before Christmas.  It was absolutely minging, and the chain was completely dry and somewhat rusty :(  He's had it for 2 months and never even oiled the chain. 

So... I just cleaned dearly_beloved's bike.  It's quite tricky to get a bike upside-down in our kitchen - since it is the width of the bars plus about 4".  On the bright side, it means that there's not much filthy floor to clean.  And I liked somebody's top tip from here of using baby wipes to clean your bike :) Slightly less good is that he obviously didn't even wipe the chain on littly's bike either when that came in at the same time - and it's as gruesomely filthy, although minus the rust.  Guess what I'm going to be doing... tomorrow.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1113 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »
Went back to the Inbred this evening and spent an hour changing a Deore silver V-brake for an Deore black V-brake.  Vanity, eh?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1114 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:01:05 pm »
But does it look very very pretty?

« Reply #1115 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:41:59 pm »
We fettled the dining room so that there was enough space to set up the turbo trainer for Superstoker :thumbsup: This was a hit and he now has the stereo set up for his ipod in there as well :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1116 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:42:41 pm »
One day, we might get a table in there... ;)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1117 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:45:48 pm »
A table? nah
tv dinners rule,O.K. ;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #1118 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »
I fixed a premier league football match.

This involved a brief case and an underground carpark at midnight.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1119 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:04:40 am »
I replaced the windscreen washer pump on my car. The reservoir is fitted under the wing, so this five minute job invoved an hour of dismantling all the filthy plastic protectors under the wheelarch after getting the wheel off and loosening the underbody tray.

Putting it all back together was like doing a 3D jigsaw with rusty self tappers. My hands were cold and I think I now have pneumonia. Bah.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1120 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:27:52 pm »
A table? nah
tv dinners rule,O.K. ;D

We ain't getting a TV! ;D
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1121 on: 01 January, 2010, 05:43:30 pm »
Swapped the drops on the Peregrine for Bullhorns, leveled the saddle after it started pointing skyward (fortunately only a mile from home) on this morning's ride, failed to get the computer working on it, swapped the tyres out for some (relatively) sport 32's and stopped the brakes from rubbing.

I think I deserve a beer :)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1122 on: 01 January, 2010, 08:59:35 pm »
Removed the clodhoppers rather wide Pasellas that have been afflicting the tandem for the last few months and replaced them with Hamsterskins.  Getting these over the FIR rims (which I reckon are a smidgeon oversized -- I've had trouble in the past) was... interesting.  They seem to be working nicely now, though, so I just have to hope that it's a long time before I need to take them off again!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1123 on: 01 January, 2010, 09:12:57 pm »
Hamsterskins on a tandem? :o

Each to their own...
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1124 on: 01 January, 2010, 09:36:36 pm »
my nose, via continual use of tissues,korvex & lip balm :(