Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168326 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1375 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »
Had a play with the headset conumdrum on the Stealth Mercian... Not fitting so checked the head tube and the bottom cups with vernier. Hmm head tube 29.6 - 29.8, bearing cups 30.2  ???
Researched a little and found out that frame nominally built for JIS headset and I have a Campag one (euro). Thus needs reaming and facing... :facepalm:

Look on line for tools  :o decide for a one-off will pay lbs (frame building dreams are - just that dreams at the mo).

Go to lbs  :( no tool. Advice go to Halfrauds but they don't know what theyre doing.. :facepalm: Get on phone nobody has one in the Swansea area..Told nearest shop Argos (Bristol)  :o

Try Hobbs bikes in Carmarthen - Yes I've got every tool under the sun  :thumbsup: Will it be done by the weekend "possibly"

Race across to said shop and get told it'll be done in an hour  :thumbsup:   :o Bugger! Cant wait as have to teach lectures in half an hour 35 miles away... :facepalm:

Get lectures and admin done and a similar mad dash ensues to make closing time of 5 pm. Job done for the Grand total of £14. Well chuffed!

Noted that my local audax organiser (Dave Lewis) had his bike in for fettling too..Double recommendation  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1376 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:09:38 am »
Does quail fettling count?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1377 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
Back wheel was binding on my fixed. I'd made the chain too tight yesterday after reading a funny horror story on here about a slack chain.

Still tight, but the wheel spins better now. It's not like cycling through treacle anymore.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1378 on: 10 March, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »
Fitted mudgaurds to grand-daughter's new bike & adjusted the saddle.

Chris S

« Reply #1379 on: 10 March, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »
Still tight, but the wheel spins better now. It's not like cycling through treacle anymore.

:)

When you happen to glance down to find the chain glowing red hot - you know you've probably over done it ;)

« Reply #1380 on: 10 March, 2010, 05:55:56 pm »
As I am off work, stomach problems, not feeling like riding I have have cleaned my fixie commuting bike for the first time in a year or so.
Thank you to the inventor of wet wipes  8)

« Reply #1381 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:24:34 pm »
New bottom bracket on Mrs B's MTB. This one has the right axle length for the new crankset, which is now sitting just the right distance out. Sweet.

Old one didn't want to come out to start with, but a good squirt of GT85 around the threads, followed by making & drinking a cup of coffee, somehow persuaded it to co-operate. Magic!

But fiddling with the front derailleur has reminded me of how cheap & nasty & knackered it is. Must resist  . . . do not buy new one . . . do not upgrade . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1382 on: 12 March, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
(late last night)
Extracted the pannier strap that had wrapped itself very firmly round one of the derailleur jockey wheels.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1383 on: 12 March, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
Fitted new Koolstop pads to the front end of the bike; a job I've been putting off for the last two evenings. I now look forward to seeing how quickly the bike stops.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1384 on: 12 March, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »
Arms and bed mechanisms for two sofa-beds.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1385 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:14:41 pm »
My Dawes Imperial for tomorrow's Up the Uts.

Replaced the rim tape, which caused so many punctures last time out.

Re-centred the rear wheel, which I decided I had built slightly off-centre, so this time I got the centring gauge out and used it properly.

Replaced the ancient Mark II Dura Ace brakes with some 105 dual pivots.

Ready to go :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1386 on: 13 March, 2010, 06:44:16 pm »
Started my project to reinvent my old Raleigh by stripping the frame - some of the components may well be turning up on the classified board as soon as I've got most of the grime off, if anyone's interested in some Tiagra bits. Was also planning to respace the rear triangle to make it suitable for a 120mm fixed hub but will save that for another day.

Looking at it now, I am slightly concerned that it's only the rust and dirt that are holding it together.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rdaviesb

« Reply #1387 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »
Fixed ebay buy hydraulic disc brakes to the MTB. 203mm disk at the rear is definitely overdoing it when unloaded, but when I've got the trailer behind with a weeks worth of shopping on board it'll do nicely.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1388 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
Took the disc pads out of the trike calliper and was surprised to find they had plenty of wear left. The noise under braking was awful... so I don't know what's wrong.

I also took the narrow tyres and mudguards off the Alfine hybrid and fitted some chunky tyres for a canal path ride tomorrow.

The rear mudguard and a rear spoke were broken - I'm not sure if the two happened at the same time, but I do recall a bit of roadside plastic getting stuck in the wheel for a noisy second during a commute last week.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1389 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »
Swapped my Campag Neutron Ultra rear wheel back on to the bike for tomorrow's audax. When playing with the indexing I found that the wheel bearings were way too loose. Tightened them up and now the hub is grumbling a bit. Stripped it down and couldn't see anyting untowards, so just hoping it lasts through tomorrow. I'll get some new bearings next time I'm in the LBS.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #1390 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:34:46 pm »
Looks like it is going to be dry tomorrow so spent various parts of today getting the summer bike ready. Swapped the pedals over from my winter bike, put on the new mount for the Garmin, took off the old computer, serviced the hub on the front wheel and gave it a good clean.

Spent 60 seconds cleaning the fixed gear commuter bike.

« Reply #1391 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »
Stripped the Brommie down and gave the wheels a bath. Degreased the chainset and re-lubed it.

Changed the hard and awful solid pads on the singlespeed to decent cartridge type pads. Au revoir you ol' squealy bastards.

Got water ingress in my new watch and the display went blank. Completely stripped it down and dried all the circuitry.
All because the factory fitted seal wasn't seated properly and was kinked. Grrrr, trust me to get the dud one.
All properly dried, fixed and working now.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1392 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »
Fitted a new rear mech, which was first for me, I'm well pleased.

As I feared going from a medium to a long cage has left the chain slightly short, but it's only apparent with a silly big ring/ bottom gear combo, so I'l let it be.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1393 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »
Finally got around to taking all the bits off of the Bacchetta ready for when the new frame gets here.
It will hopefully get here next week as they a new consignment in at HQ in Florida last Friday and have spent all week packing them for shipping out  :thumbsup:

JJ

« Reply #1394 on: 14 March, 2010, 12:49:52 am »
Strung a new rim onto the Schmidt hub that I had off Swiss Hat years ago.  It has served me very well, but it had worn pretty thin and last weekend on the route-check ride it developed a suspicious bulge.

« Reply #1395 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:08:32 pm »
Stripped the really badly tarnished mudguard stays then polished and clear lacquer coated them.
Fitted new nylock nuts and washers.

While the fitments were out of the way, I decided to cover the milky milky guard with some heavy duty reflective. Lovely.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1396 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:19:31 pm »
Fettled mudguard stay on commuter / audax bike (Cart tracks on audaxes had sheared the rivets..
Continued with stealth Mercian build but stuck on stem length. Going on what I measured up on Sabbath's jig I should be spot on but knees can hit the bars when climbing out of the saddle  ???
- Will try going up 2 sizes on stem (from 120 - 140) but there's the wonderful cost factor now as this bike is starting to eat money :demon:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1397 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:34:11 pm »
Dave's rear end got some love: Stripped down the hub to identify play which turned out to be a slack freehub bolt.  Cleaned everything, reassembled tight, repacked with new balls.  Also removed the rear V-brake to clean and regrease the pivots and move the brake springs up to the "strong" hole - they're ancient and were flabby, causing random wheel rub. Now they're positively macho.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1398 on: 15 March, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »
Managed to fix the sticky rear brake on my Lemond Etape racing bike.  Seems like the sks raceblades like to dump all the salt / grit right on top of the brake causing sticky pivots! Stripped the brake down, cleaned it up, reassembled, and good as new.

Then over an hour getting a tight turbo trainer tyre off my good summer wheels (skinning my knuckles and thumb in the process), and finally got the new Michelin Pro Race3s fitted.  I was hoping to go out for a spin with the new tyres,  can't be bothered now after fighting to get the turbo tyre off.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1399 on: 15 March, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »
Stripped down the SRAM T3 hub gear on Mrs Z's Brompton to find the cause of the problem was a snapped axle key.  New one ordered from Germany for a frightening 4 euros (of which 1.30 is postage).  You can't really get SRAM parts in the UK because historically SA and SRAM had a gentlemen's agreement not to poach each others' markets.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.