Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167952 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1425 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »
Girlie fettling success- replaced the brake shoes on the Giant. Yay!
On the minus side- the rims are looking somewhat, erm, battered. I think I may have left it a little late.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1426 on: 21 March, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »
The caravan.
Air in tyres.Removed winter cover.Checked for leaks.Flushed water systems & sterilised same.Gas & electrics working.
Electric mains connection needs TLC but otherwise it's ready to roll.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1427 on: 21 March, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »
I've stripped my Ridgeback Alfine right down because it needs a good scrubbing before it'll get through NZ customs in two weeks. There's a whole winter's worth of crud stuck to it. I sneaked the tyres and my shoes into the washing machine. Hee Hee.  :thumbsup:

The BB and disc pads are all worn out, so I'll go to the LBS for spares tomorrow before starting to put it back together again.

I've also sprayed some waterproofing onto the tent and replaced a split pole.

« Reply #1428 on: 21 March, 2010, 04:43:59 pm »
CHanged the tyres on my Hewitt, not that I'll get to ride anytime soon though.

Started to make a mount for my GPS.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1429 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:35:54 pm »
Lubricated and refitted various parts to the BSO.  Pumped up the Brompton's tyres and cleaned off yet more rust and flaking paint - it's going to have to go to Argos for a proper 2-pack paint job next winter, which will cost as much as a replacement frame  >:(.  Adjusted the seat and handlebars on Miss Z the younger's bike.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1430 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:41:16 pm »
New cassette and brake blocks on the audax Trek.  Washed it and the Rourke.  No more very rainy outings for the Trek..... remain firmly unconvinced of the weather-proofing on outboard BB cups.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1431 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »
Cleaned the fabric body & inflated the tyres on the two-seat kiddy trailer.Neighbour bought it for his grandson to be chauffered around in :)

« Reply #1432 on: 21 March, 2010, 07:49:26 pm »
Dug out my old Kona Kileuea that did 3 years of maintenance free commuting. Wondered if the old nag had it in her to return to light mtb duties. Lots of muc off revealed she needs recabling, new brake blocks, a new chain, new grips, new tires, and that the middle ring is missing several teeth, the fork stanchions has surface rust, the front mech has lost the ability to index the big ring, and that the rear wheel needs a couple of new spokes. I am tempted to  part her out.

« Reply #1433 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »
Tyre pressure in preparation for the commute to begin again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1434 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:39:38 pm »
Just went and did the cables on the BSO.  This was complicated by the fact that the Chinese imbecile who made the new SRAM front mech had omitted to tap the "dual pull" mech for the bottom pull option and, in fact, had drilled it right out to 5mm.  I tapped it to M6 and used a bigger bolt and a matching washer.  I shouldn't have to do this on a new part, but it's becoming increasingly evident to me that Chinese-made goods exceed Sturgeon's Law by a comfortable margin.

« Reply #1435 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
I've stripped my Ridgeback Alfine right down because it needs a good scrubbing before it'll get through NZ customs in two weeks.

Don't forget your shoes.

Twice I've had free bike shoe cleaning from antipodean airports. It does make the people meeting you off the flight start to worry though, they think you've been held back for nefarious acts.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1436 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:05:04 am »
Two sets of Volvo wishbones refurbed with heavy duty polyurethane bushes . . .

Fitting the bushes (purple bitz) is like trying to get a firehose in an overnight bag!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1437 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:15:15 am »
Finally got round to putting a new gear cable on the Red Baron yesterday.  By 'eck it was a pain; the old one had broken right up at the nipple and was stubbornly refusing to come out.  I had to dismantle the whole shifter unit to find it.

Also fitted a new IQ Cyo and fettled up the mirror and GPS mount.  That still needs work because whilst I now have a head-up GPS, I also have a frickin' great big blind spot on my offside which is Not Ideal.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1438 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:22:49 am »
A tyre boot - from a Metro Card (New York's version of the Oyster Card but thinner and more flexible) when the tyre that I'd put on at the weekend as a short term replacement decided to explosively separate from the bead at Tibbet's Corner. MAde my way very gingerly home. How far should you ride on a boot anyway?

And adjusted the saddle on the Rockhopper wasn't quite flat and when the bike was built they were too generous with the grease in the seat tube and the seatpost kept slipping so gave it a good wipe.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1439 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:43:49 am »
How far should you ride on a boot anyway?

Until you find a new tyre.

YMMV

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #1440 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »
Assembled the Trailerbike and put the rack for it onto the Back of the Orbit Orion. Supposed to be a 10-minute job (aren't they all?!), but turned into at least 1.5 hours. Luckily the Orbit has lots of pre-tapped holes around the rear dropout, so I could adapt the fitting to suit. Also had a p******re fairy visit to attend to. Schwalbe "p-proof" bollocks! Though it was a viciously sharp slice of hawthorn...

Little Miss AWL seemed inpressed with the results, so it was all worth it. Much better than the Adams trailer bike that attaches with a very springy bit of rubber hose.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1441 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:10:14 pm »
New cassette and brake blocks on the audax Trek.  Washed it and the Rourke.  No more very rainy outings for the Trek..... remain firmly unconvinced of the weather-proofing on outboard BB cups.

I am similarly unconvinced about campag ultratorque external BB cups
Which reminds me, I need to take them off and check there is still more grease in there than water

« Reply #1442 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »
I unfettled the Dinotte mounting on the side of the rack, so that I could put my pannier there, rather than using a rack pack, which doesn't have enough space for my work clothes!
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1443 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »
A tyre boot - from a Metro Card (New York's version of the Oyster Card but thinner and more flexible) when the tyre that I'd put on at the weekend as a short term replacement decided to explosively separate from the bead at Tibbet's Corner. MAde my way very gingerly home. How far should you ride on a boot anyway?

And adjusted the saddle on the Rockhopper wasn't quite flat and when the bike was built they were too generous with the grease in the seat tube and the seatpost kept slipping so gave it a good wipe.
If it's made from an Embassy fag packet, this far:

Gmaps Pedometer

Then it shreds itself and BANG!

« Reply #1444 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:34:26 pm »
... How far should you ride on a boot anyway? ...

With a "proper" Park boot, I did over 100 miles before it decided to kill the replacement inner tube.  A second boot over the original got me home, at which point I chucked the tyre. :-\

That was with a 15mm slash in the tyre, just off of the centre line.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1445 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »
T'was cycling variation of musical chairs in the fettle factory tonight:

Brooks Pro from Claud to Brompton.
Honey Special from Longstaff to Claud.
Black Special from Brompton to Longstaff.

Somehow, I ended up with a spare Black Special, so that's going onto the mtb. Looks neat too.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

« Reply #1446 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:12:56 pm »
Fitted a new axle key to the SRAM hub on Mrs Z's Brompton, sort of trued the wheel (which is original and will fall apart soon; I had to put a new spoke in it too) and adjusted it all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1447 on: 24 March, 2010, 07:20:20 pm »
Chain of a very enthusiastic German tourist's BSO, saving the poor guy a ~5mile walk back to King's Norton.  He was very taken with my Crank Bros Multi 17's chain tool and not-falling-to-bits features, and may be investing in one soon to facilitate his buying a very cheap bike in each country he visits touring method.

As it was raining at the time, this also counts as training for the FNRttC  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1448 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »
Put a curtain rail back up.  Repaired the rear brake on my commuter (I'm fed up of brake rub from my bodge), and replaced the brake blocks, taking the opportunity to clean ten ton of grime off the brakes :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #1449 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:58:53 pm »
Used my Fenwicks FS1 cleaner for the first time to wash the crud off the Etape.
She is now gleaming in the shed, and it only took 5 minutes to do  :thumbsup:

Fixed two tubes ( one of them being the result of my puncture this morning ).