Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134438 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1525 on: 08 April, 2010, 03:52:08 pm »
Tried to mend a puncture in a wheelbarrow wheel. Failed.

Anyone know where I can get 3.5 x 8 inner tubes?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1526 on: 09 April, 2010, 01:48:17 pm »
New chainring  (courtesy of Rogerzilla*) onto my single speed. Now 48x16 rather than 46x16. Went out for a quick spin and still managed to get up Dark Hill so I think I can pronounce the project a success :thumbsup:

*Actually I'm not sure it was really his - there was a smear of oil on it  :o :o  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1527 on: 10 April, 2010, 12:09:14 am »
My Cateye Doubleshot had been getting less and less reliable.  The cable from battery to light has an in-line connector, and this was very motion- and handling-sensitive.  Having sent an email to Cateye's UK distributor, I then looked up the unit's instruction leaflet.  This reminded me that I'd been supplied with an extension lead, (that had the same plug-n-socket, so as to extend the lead from battery pack to light) which I don't use.

So I unsoldered the faulty lead and socket from the battery pack, snipped the unused extension lead in half, and and used the appropriate end of that lead to replace the faulty one.  I now have steady light, not the random flickeryness of Lucas Prince Of Darkness.

The M*pl*n Soldering Iron that they sent me by mistake when I'd ordered Cable Ties got its first use. :thumbsup:
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1528 on: 10 April, 2010, 06:56:53 am »
Changed the inner chainring on the TT bike to 44T to give me 44/53 for a gearing experiment. I never used the 39 while racing, but the 44 should be usable.

Discovered that the chain had worn by 1/16in over a winter of turbo training so replaced it. Interesting that the chain wears so quickly in such benign conditions - my road bike chains don't wear as quickly as this and they are covered in grit and crap.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1529 on: 10 April, 2010, 12:00:20 pm »
Put some Marathon Racer 30mm tyres on the Hewitt to replace the Panaracer Paselas.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1530 on: 10 April, 2010, 05:13:42 pm »
Sat outside Decathlon changing pedals over on n+2, and adjusting the saddle position.  I love it when things are brand new, well greased and clean.  They come apart nice and easily, and you don't get covered in black gunge.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1531 on: 10 April, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »
Fitted tube, tyre and spoke magnet to PowerTap wheel.
Fitted Edge 705 mounting, GSC10, pedal magnet to Wilier.

Fitted large grin to myself now able to play with new training toy.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1532 on: 10 April, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
Disassembled, regreased and reassembled my ultra toque bottom bracket. Amazingly, this didn't require any swearing on my part and the play in the cranks seems to have vanished. Next up, pump up the tyres and go for a spin.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1533 on: 10 April, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
Changed some very worn out rear brake pads (  I blame El-S last weekend :)  ), tweaked the gears as bottom to middle chainring has been a bit reluctant lately and cut out some foam to stop my camera bouncing so much in the rack pack.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1534 on: 10 April, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »
Fiddled with my seat set up on the Langster. I dragged the Dawes out of the shed and compared set ups. I was a lot more comfortable on the Dawes.

Turns out that I'd had the seat far too high on the Langster. That and the new stem seems to have sort my positioning out now.

« Reply #1535 on: 10 April, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »
Made a shelf for the window so Mary Hen can put more propagators on.
Sharpened the electric lawn mower blades
Spread some compost on the new plot.
Churned the other composter.
Repaired the arbor.
Planted some seeds.

« Reply #1536 on: 10 April, 2010, 11:29:40 pm »
Retired the front wheel on the commuter, found a nearly new tyre I'd forgotten I had for the spare wheel plus some TLC/MrSheen. And put GT85 on the moving bits of the workstand.
In the sunshine  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1537 on: 10 April, 2010, 11:58:22 pm »
Removed the old Specialized Mindset headset on the Allez and replaced it with a perfectly normal Cane Creek IS3 integrated headset (Yes, you really can do this, you want a 36x45 model)

Transferred tyres and cassette over onto my new wheels

Fitted a Bagman Expedition QR.  The first thing I transported was a load made up of:
6x330ml Amstel Bier
10x250ml Stella Artois
2l Fanta
2l Sprite
1l orange squash
500g cheese
A D lock

These Carradice bags are great!

rdaviesb

« Reply #1538 on: 11 April, 2010, 07:04:12 pm »
I will be painting windows and eaves until further notice......................... I might emerge by May.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1539 on: 11 April, 2010, 09:12:26 pm »
Part-fettling day today.

I drilled the frame of Superstoker's Galaxy for dual pivots, only to find that I'll need longer reach calipers.

I got two wheels fitted to my Rudge, but the front one is a very old wheel, an d the spokes are a bit rusty.  I had to spring the forks to get that on.  But it has a flat tyre, so I'll need to swap off the new tyre from the new wheels, and ultimately get the new rim put onto the old hub.

Filed the rear dropouts on the Carlton so that a modern axle will fit in.  Just need a wheel made now.  I've got a rim and a hub.

Yesterday, I trued the wheel on my niece's Claud Butler we got her for her birthday (v.late because we've been to busy to get it fettled :-[ ), and took it to her.  It's her first drop-bar bike, and she was made up, zooming off up & down the road, with her brother following way behind on his unicycle.  Very gratifying.
Getting there...

« Reply #1540 on: 12 April, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
Put fresh sealant round the bath as it turns out it was rather leaky. Its rather nice doing DIY with your feet in a warm bath  ;D
I wish I could fix the builders' bodge of the lino as easily.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1541 on: 14 April, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »
Finally got round to putting my insanely efficient dynamo USB charger together on veroboard.  Astoundingly I only made one easily-fixed assembly cockup, of the kind that didn't release any magic smoke.  Just need to find a sensible enclosure and it can actually get some ride-testing.

Update: sensible enclosure on its way, with absolutely no help from the Maplin website, and even less help from Farnell.  Also some of those connectors they use on R/C model battery packs, which seem like a good bet for connecting to the dynamo wiring without too much fuss.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1542 on: 14 April, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »
That's impressive.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1543 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:02:03 pm »
I scored a pair of 700x20c tyres for Fred for £9.00.  Yes, £9.00 for two! :o

Swapped them on.  Left the new 'guards for another day. 

Tightened the grub screw on Butterfly's Bagman, but noticed that there's a part missing :(

Fitted the dual pivot brakes to Superstoker's tourer, which involved removing the rack, and redoing the whole mudguard arrangement (I swapped stays with Fred's old ones).
Getting there...

« Reply #1544 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »
That's impressive.

As in "will you be making more?"
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1545 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:32:21 pm »
That's impressive.

If you start producing those commercially, Kim, sign me up!

« Reply #1546 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »
I just replaced my failed Old Man Mountain Red Rock rack on Kevin the Kaffenback with a new Tor Tec Expedition rack.  I think the Tor Tec one was something like half the price of the OMM one, but lets see if it lasts longer than the 7000 miles that the Red Rock survived.

I've actually left part of the mounts for the OMM on the bike, since it partially mounts onto the brake bosses, so until I'm willing to dismantle and clean the rear brakes, I'll leave the last bits of the mount on them.  They are in effect just big washers, so they don't really affect anything.

I also swiped the rack fitting rear CatEye light mount off of the Pompino, so I'll have to put an order into Wiggle for some replacements for that.

I'll almost certainly need to fiddle with the pannier hook positions in the morning, but that should be a quick, and relatively clean job.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1547 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:45:28 pm »
That's impressive.

Yeah, that. ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1548 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »
Fitted new 'guards to Fred.  Looks good.  I think I might need to adjust the front brake.

Put the rear rack back on Superstoker's Galaxy.  It's a three-point now rather than four :(  I might be able to find a way to put the other stay on.  Still not entirely happy with the brake adjustment.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1549 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:25:23 am »
Yeah, that. ;)

Don't hold your breath, but if this ends up working well, I may get some PCBs made in the interests of compactness and reliability...

I've got some feeping creaturism to go through first though.  I'd like to be able to charge (annoying combinations of) NiMHs, too.  At a variable rate so there's still power for USB stuff on the bike, but able to fast-charge if there's mains or 12V power available.  That means mucking about with microcontrollers and the voodoo of switching regulators...  Seems feasible, but it's back-of-the-envelope stuff at this stage.