Author Topic: Missing text message thread  (Read 1601 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Missing text message thread
« on: 20 February, 2020, 01:24:30 pm »
A single text message thread has disappeared from my phone. I'm just wondering whether the other party might have been able to delete it at their end. I've done some googling and it appears that it might be possible, but I'm no expert at this stuff and I wondered if anyone here might be?

Is there anyway of recovering it?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Missing text message thread
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2020, 03:54:17 pm »
Hold it above a candle, or try vinegar or rubbing with a cut potato.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:11:49 pm »
What phone, and what app?
Is it actually text messages, or is it something like WhatsApp or Apple Messages or whatever the cool kids are using these days?

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:09:15 pm »
Text messages on an iPhone 5s

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:32:52 pm »
While I was on a trip last year something happened to my phone (or I aacidently did something to it) so that text messages from Mrs B were going into a text spam folder. I had no idea there was such a setting and thought my messages weren't being answered. It was only when we had a voice discussion that I realized text messages were being sent but I wasn't seeing them. I then investigated & found her messages were set as spam. When I turned the setting off all the unread messages appeared.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:01:00 pm »
Once text messages are sent they are like posted letters. The sender has no further control over them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2020, 11:10:15 pm »
Once text messages are sent they are like posted letters. The sender has no further control over them.

They could send another message politely asking your software to delete it, thobut.  If it were able to do such a thing.  And were configured to follow such instructions.

I'm not aware of this being a feature in any of the common SMS apps, but it seems to be a thing in some of the proprietary email systems.  Nothing good can come of it...

Paul

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2020, 07:22:54 am »
Hmm: I’m now wondering if I might I have fat-fingeredly deleted it.

Davef

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:51:28 am »
Text messages on an iPhone 5s
Sent to another iPhone ? Text messages on iPhones will be sent as  an iMessage or an sms depending on the recipient. They will appear with a background of blue or green respectively. iMessages can be deleted by the sender but only if they have not been read yet by the recipient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #9 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:50:18 am »

They could send another message politely asking your software to delete it, thobut.  If it were able to do such a thing.  And were configured to follow such instructions.

I'm not aware of this being a feature in any of the common SMS apps, but it seems to be a thing in some of the proprietary email systems.  Nothing good can come of it...

If someone recalls a message, it just makes me read it more, just in case they've slipped in a non-HR compliant knob gag or revealed something I'm not supposed to know, like what happens on subdeck 1245x-45p.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:51:43 am »
On Macs PCs recalling messages doesn’t work.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:41:40 am »
I used Outlook 365 webby-thing (as I can't bear to use the desktop Outlook or the fact it seems intent on downloading about a terabyte of old emails from the server), they come up as so-and-so has asked to recall the following message, which then appears for inspection.

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2020, 12:56:15 pm »