Author Topic: iPhone apps  (Read 23750 times)

iPhone apps
« on: 26 May, 2009, 01:12:37 pm »
I gave in and got an iPhone (work are making me pay for any personal calls on my mobile so I may as well make the jump). Not allowed to transfer my old number (shame as I've had it for 10 years) but I can keep it as a work mobile.

What apps are worth it then?

Already got lots of the free ones:-

Last.fm, Shazam, Skype, MSS, Dictionary, GPSLite, iHandy Level, TubeStatus.

Any other recommendations?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

Re: iPhone apps
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »
One Hundred Pushups Companion?

one hundred push ups

Works on my iPod Touch too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2009, 01:18:37 pm »
National Rail - good but not perfect
if you are a shareholder/investor Bloomberg knocks spots off Stocks

could recommend more but I'm not sure what interests you!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2009, 01:51:33 pm »
OK, put it another way, what Apps did you get and why?

I though there might be a core set of useful apps that people install, much like the usual plug-ins for Firefox that most people deploy.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »
(Apple) Remote - to remote control an iTunes library that is being beamed around the house to an Airport Express. The iPhone displays the album cover for the current item.

LogMeIn - allows remote control of PCs and Macs from the iPhone. Expensive though, but adds a level of support for my company whilst I am out cycling  ;D

Tivoli TV+ or Sky+ - allow you to set up your Sky+ box to record something irrespective of where you are

Speedometer - a silly but great fun use of the GPS.

Seismometer - a silly but great fun use of the Motion Detectors.

Missile Command - a silly but great fun use of the phone, takes you back 30 years.

Vicinity - a reasonably useful app for discovering services etc. near where you are

eBay - no explanation required

Flixster - films near you, plus reviews etc.

(Keynote) Remote - use the iPhone as a remote control for Keynote presentations, with a display of what is on the screen

Classics - free classic books in a eReader type of format

WiFiFoFum - detailed summary of wireless networks near you

that'll do for now!

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2009, 02:42:05 pm »
WiFiFoFum - detailed summary of wireless networks near you

Be honest now - you bought that 'cos of the name, didn't you? ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2009, 02:54:22 pm »
Fring - chat program for MSN, Y!, ICQ GTalk etc.

UrbanSpoon - Find food near you

Air Sharing - copy any file over to your Iphone (without the dreaded iTunes) and use is as a memory stick.

Stanza - Read free book (Gutenberg Project and others)

Bablegum -  a bit like YouTube but a fun way of displaying it.

Others ...
TwitterFon, FarceBook (erm Facebook), Graffitio, ITN News, Thomson Reuters, Google Earth, Here I am, Google.

Games ...
Lightsaber, I say Free, Pac-man, Labyrinth LE,
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2009, 10:24:38 pm »
iMapMyRide?

red marley

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2009, 06:09:15 pm »
Some geo apps that I use:

AirMe - Take a picture with the camera and it will upload it to Flickr or other archives with GPS derived location tagged.
Darkslide - Interface to Flickr photos, but can also return the nearest n photos to your current location. Interesting when being a tourist somewhere.
GeoTweeter - Allows twitter posting with automatic link to the location in which they were posted.

Also,

TouchTermSSH - SSH client (I use this for posting remote work email when I can't VPN).
FStream - Play UK radio (I have BBC Radios 1-6).

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2009, 06:22:06 pm »
Air Sharing is definitely one that I'd rate as "very useful".

TouchTermSSH - SSH client (I use this for posting remote work email when I can't VPN).
FStream - Play UK radio (I have BBC Radios 1-6).

Excellent, been wondering which one of the many SSH clients would be recommended, there doesn't seem to be much to tell them apart.

FStream is very useful too.

Happy I didn't bother holding on for the new iPhone 3G S. Looks like a chunk more money for not much else. Never been one for video (prefer to have photographs) and since when is a compass or voice control a major selling feature.

Will be happy to get cut and paste and the few other bits and bobs in just over a week when the free OS update comes out. Tethering could be useful, but not for £14 extra a month. I'd be more tempted to stump up for the development API and write my own proxy-app.

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »
I don't think anyone's mentioned FixMyStreet - photograph a pothole, and it gets location tagged and reported to the relevant council or whoever - a high-tech fill that hole.

I have far too many games and silly apps, mostly. 

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
Free: Skype, Facebook, iTunes Remote, iFractal

iFractal is a bit pointless, the rest are useful.

Paid: WhiteNoise (plays background noise at you to help you sleep), Scrabble (self explanatory)

WhiteNoise seems to be quite helpful actually.  It does seem to help me switch off.  After experimenting with different sounds (there are quite a few) I seem to have settled on crickets chirping.

Scrabble, well it's Scrabble, it seems to work.  What more is there to say?

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »
I gave in and got an iPhone (work are making me pay for any personal calls on my mobile so I may as well make the jump). Not allowed to transfer my old number (shame as I've had it for 10 years) but I can keep it as a work mobile.

What apps are worth it then?

Already got lots of the free ones:-

Last.fm, Shazam, Skype, MSS, Dictionary, GPSLite, iHandy Level, TubeStatus.

Any other recommendations?

BTW, should've waited a week or two.  ::-)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

BTW, should've waited a week or two.  ::-)

I don't think the new iPhone really changes much, plus the new software will be rolled out to all phones anyway.

FStream is very useful too.

I looked at this, but somehow got a page in French explaining what the app was about  :-\

red marley

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2009, 09:47:03 pm »
FStream is useful because unlike most of the internet radio apps available this allows you to get BBC radio. See BBC Radio iPhone Streams for details.

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
National Rail - good but not perfect

could recommend more but I'm not sure what interests you!

National Rail is way overpriced, and they prevented the free app from accessing their database (which is accessible for free via the web).

Bit of an abuse of their position, IMO.  So I refused to download it and used the website instead.

« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:45:10 pm »

Stocks is due a big update with OS 3.0 out in two days time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »
Yes, I had the free trains app before.

However, the NR app paid for itself when I was standing on a platform at Birmingham New Street with 200 other displaced persons waiting for a train that was never going to come. I knew it was never going to come because the app told me. It also told me when the next train was. I think I was the only one of those 200 people that caught it.

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 21 June, 2009, 12:09:21 am »
Tweetdeck has just been released for iPhone and is very cute.

I'm very pleased with the iTunes remote. Control music from the bath with the iPhone in an aquapac.  :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19 on: 21 June, 2009, 08:49:06 am »
FStream is useful because unlike most of the internet radio apps available this allows you to get BBC radio. See BBC Radio iPhone Streams for details.

Thank you!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2009, 12:21:56 pm »
The Sky+ app is brilliant. If you have Sky+.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
The Sky+ app is brilliant. If you have Sky+.

d.

Oooh.

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2009, 12:32:35 am »
Right, a few more to add to the list.

Kana Flip.  For learning Hiragana and Katakana, plus a few Kanji.  Once you have mastered that, Kanji Flip for the full "roughly 4 million embodiments of your worst nightmares" experience.  I'm ok on Hiragana now but struggling still with Katakana.

What else?

I was told by a former colleague about Ghost Race developed by his employer.  He works in sales - well he made a sale.  I haven't tried it yet.  You can guess what it does though.  Race yourself using the built in GPS, it beeps at you if you're behind the previous run.  Useful for those laps of Richmond Park maybe, or on your commute, jogging route, etc.  It doesn't need to even be used on the same route since it's purely distance based (though if the terrain differs then it'll be a bit tricky).  Not tried it yet, will be trying to use it for my Science Park Fun Run training I think.

Of course the various hundred pushups and similar apps.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #23 on: 26 October, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »
This one looks like it could be worth installing (strong constitution required, especially if using near cyclists)

« Reply #24 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:02:28 am »
Thought I'd resurrect this since Orange and Vodafone are now doing the iPhone so no doubt lots more folk looking for suggestions (myself included). The app store isn't half full of rubbish unless you know what you're looking for.

So far I've downloaded, and liked, the usual (free) suspects, ie. facebook, skype, flickr and echofon (for twittering). Also liking WifiTrak for searching for wifi spots.

Camerabag is nice for only £1.20. I've never been a huge fan of cameras on phones and as such never used mine much in the past, and the iPhone camera is probably one of the worst on the market, but the effects and filters available with Camerabag are impressing me, turning dull snapshots into stuff worth uploading directly to flickr etc without having to muck about in photoshop. I'm already finding I'm using the camera more because of that.

Also got one called Think Ink, which as a designer is going to come in handy. Can take a sample from a photo or any chosen colour and come up with a range of colour combinations that fit, with an RGB and CMYK breakdown of each. Might be quite handy if you're looking to redecorate, take a picture of your new couch and choose some paint for the walls  :P. There are more comprehensive versions of the same thing out there, but so far it's the best free one I've seen.

But the best app I've got so far, is the most expensive. £12! I never thought I'd spend that much on a phone application, but damn it's good. If you're into creating music at all, (particularly electronic/dance or variations thereof) then you really must download Beatmaker, even for just mucking about it's worth it. For me, when coupled with the free desktop application that allows you to create your own samples/loops (though it comes with some fantastic ones already), it shows what the iPhone is capable of, ie bridging the gap between computer and phone. It's the kind of software that 5-10 years ago would have cost you £1000+ plus the cost of the computer and midi equipment to run it. But it's only 12 quid and you can carry it in your pocket! Just awesome.