Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517847 times)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3575 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »
from the Guardian, reference Malaria and The Ague:

With admirable ingenuity, locals developed a range of remedies to suppress the "terrible rigours" of the ague, based principally, it appears, on large quantities of alcohol, and opium made from locally produced poppies. When things got really bad, they combined the two: Kent and Essex hostelries, Dobson notes, were long famed for a spectacularly potent opium-laced beer.

full article at:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/sep/12/health.weather

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3576 on: 01 July, 2019, 11:37:47 pm »
ACME FOLKS IN/NEAR WITHAM -- FREE BEER TOMORROW

... I still have around half (possibly more) of a polypin of Maldon Gold here, which will probably need drinking inside the week... (opened on Saturday, so should be good until ~Wednesday, maybe beyond, but wouldn't count on it in this weather, I guess).  It's definitely still very tasty tonight.

Given the early closing time at the Chelmo BF, there's probably no point trying to have some before setting off for that on Weds.

So,  if anyone wants to come round tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday 2nd July) from around 8:30 (I'm out until then) to help drink it up,  you are more than welcome here at Oaky Towers (PM me if you don't know where that is, or call/SMS/Whatsapp on 0 7 seven 9 5 4 9 eight 6 0 nine).

NB - For thse with the Ague, I'm afraid we don't have any opium.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3577 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:05:53 am »

... I still have around half (possibly more) of a polypin of Maldon Gold here, which will probably need drinking inside the week... (opened on Saturday, so should be good until ~Wednesday, maybe beyond, but wouldn't count on it in this weather, I guess).  It's definitely still very tasty tonight.

Given the early closing time at the Chelmo BF, there's probably no point trying to have some before setting off for that on Weds.

So,  if anyone wants to come round tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday 2nd July) from around 8:30 (I'm out until then) to help drink it up,  you are more than welcome here at Oaky Towers (PM me if you don't know where that is, or call/SMS/Whatsapp on 0 7 seven 9 5 4 9 eight 6 0 nine).

Assuming you mean 8:30 in the evening?  ;D

I might come and join (help) you tonight Oaky. While the beer festival is tempting I'm always a bit meh about getting home from Chelmo.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3578 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:37:47 am »

Assuming you mean 8:30 in the evening?  ;D

I might come and join (help) you tonight Oaky. While the beer festival is tempting I'm always a bit meh about getting home from Chelmo.

Indeed - 8:30 PM :)

« Reply #3579 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »
Great, I'll be there!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3580 on: 02 July, 2019, 07:25:29 pm »
Great, I'll be there!

Cool - have PM'ed you the location in case you don't have it/have forgotten etc.

« Reply #3581 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:46:14 am »
Thanks for the beers last night Oaky, especially that 3rd one for the road :facepalm:

I'm glad I managed to help you save the beer and it was great to have a catch up.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3582 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:17:17 am »
How much beer is left?

« Reply #3583 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:40:32 pm »
How much beer is left?
With Oaky and I on the case I'll leave you to guess.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3584 on: 03 July, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »
How much beer is left?
With Oaky and I on the case I'll leave you to guess.

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3585 on: 03 July, 2019, 04:44:04 pm »
Was it just the two of you?

« Reply #3586 on: 25 July, 2019, 03:30:52 pm »
Last night we held the second annual MEMWNS cocktail party at the Spiritual Home.

Our esteemed members are permitted to bring guests and drink all manner of strange drinks like Diet Coke.

Joergen brought Mrs Joergen, Huggy brought Mrs Huggy and Jem brought that bloke that models cycling gear and beachwear on facebook.

Despite the non-appearance of Tomsk and the forrin adventures of OD, we managed 14 in total including guests. 

As well as those named above, we had the Hustler, Hotblack, Herr Flick, GavinSSN, Felix von Luckner, Christophe and Oaky.

Sadly we were unable to make use of the Epiphany Field but we did sit outdoors and it was a pleasure to do so in short sleeves rather than a sleeping bag and woolly hat.  Oaky and I also made sure we paid our respects to the Epiphany Robing Room where the bow tie magic happens.

Visits to the Spiritual Home are also a bit of a treat for the Hustler.  It always feels a bit like it must have done in Ancient Rome during Saturnalia - general merry making and a night off for the slaves.  When I say night off, what I mean of course is that he gets to use the ACME glass carrier meaning fewer trips to the bar.  He even had assistance from Felix yesterday.

We sampled old favourites Ridleys Rite and Essex Boys and newcomer Voyager by Black Hole, a golden ale at 5% plus.  The newcomer took the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award.

We discussed Flick's adventures in the Fatherland - a tour of the bakeries of Saxony by singlespeed - as well as the usual range of highbrow arts and politics topics.  With 14 of us sitting at a long table, conversations tend to drift into smaller groups but I am confident that Hotblack still managed to say something controversial to someone at some point.  Mention of the French Ride was conspicuous by its absence - Huggy is fairly strict about this.

The biggest surprise of the night was still to come however.  As we prepared to dash off into the only slightly cooler night, GavinSSN unveiled a selection of bike lights - that worked !   

It really was a hot ride home despite a 0130 arrival.  That will probably be the last night when we can cycle to the pub without lights but I hope it won't be the last warm evening.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3587 on: 28 July, 2019, 03:44:03 pm »
Hands up - who pays to use Ride with GPS?
My annual account is up for renewal soon ($50) and I’m wondering if it’s worth us pooling resources as ACME and subscribe to the club account for $250/year. It could initially be funded by the ACME Treasury until individual subscriptions expire and donations accepted towards the club account for access to the Ride Organiser access.
My understanding is that club members can be given Ride Organiser access to have the same features as the paid for basic account.  I’m thinking ACME club donations would be half the cost of the individual basic annual account cost.
Any thoughts to confirm/contradict my understanding and who thinks it’s a good idea?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3588 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
I pay for RwGPS. Happy to form a group.

« Reply #3589 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:15:50 pm »
I use ride with GPS as well, and would be up for a club subscription. Mine renews in May next year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #3590 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:25:58 pm »
I don't pay for RwGPS, although occasionally I will purchase a month's subscription just for the offline map navigation as a backup for key events.

I've just checked the benefits of a paid account, and I'm not convinced there's anything that would make it worth having for me. Happy to have a discussion about what value there might be, and contribute if it makes sense.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3591 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:39:56 pm »
One thing I’m not entirely clear on is if one needs a personal basic account to be invited to use the club account and get basic account features in the club. Doesn’t make sense that you would need an individual account too but not reading a definitive statement about it, yet.

« Reply #3592 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:59:50 pm »
One thing I’m not entirely clear on is if one needs a personal basic account to be invited to use the club account and get basic account features in the club. Doesn’t make sense that you would need an individual account too but not reading a definitive statement about it, yet.

Having setup the system for a friend who was on a commercial ride, you only need the free account to use a club one. In his case, the routes for each day of a tour were accessible to him (and the others in "the club") that had been set up by the organisers.  The routes appeared to be private to them (as per teh visible to friends only setting).

As an club, I'm surprised that Audax UK do not have a club subscription, which is then used to send the routes to people who have signed up for the ride.  But I suppose we as ACME could try that in principle?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3593 on: 28 July, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
I pay for RwGPS. Happy to form a group.

My sub expires 17 May next year.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3594 on: 28 July, 2019, 06:34:56 pm »
I suppose we as ACME could try that in principle?
Seems like we are thinking it’s a good idea

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3595 on: 31 July, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
I have brevets for my new permanent 200km: 'Bricks and Moretaine', up and running on AUKweb  :thumbsup: Routesheet has been tested, but no gps ... yet.

Braintree start, then via Dunmow and Much Hadham to the first control at Codicote; through the edge of the Chilterns [Whitwell, Barton-le-Clay, Pulloxhill] to the Marston Moretaine turning point. A bit of 'Hereward' returning through Bedfordshire to the third control at Biggleswade, but then across through Thaxted to Braintree. I started my DIY tests from home and designed it to favour mid-Essex starts from on or near the route. Works best with a westerly wind to blow you home, of course.

Climbs in the Chilterns are gentle and fixed friendly, through very different scenery to East Anglia. Pulloxhill is a tough one on fixed, just when you need to tack, you're at the blind summit - I walked the last 50 yards both times. Two Herts fords - one rideable [Hadham] the other deep and fast [Benwick] - not recommended! As you may guess, there's a brickworks theme, elaborated in my ride info ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3596 on: 01 August, 2019, 07:43:00 am »
^ Ok, it's been pointed out that the info and route sheet hasn't appeared on audax.uk event page, ho hum, relevant authorities contacted. In the meantime let me know if you're curious and I'll email it out ...

In other news, last night it was mooted that we convene from lunchtime at The Compasses Beer Festival on Saturday 10th, WAGS and HABS welcome. I'll be loaded up with PBP bivi/camping kit for a little shakedown overnighter up the Suffolk coast.

« Reply #3597 on: 02 August, 2019, 09:35:32 am »
As the nights start to draw in so thoughts inevitably turn to the MEMWNS occasional lecture series.  Imagine the University of the Third Age meets the Chuckle Brothers and you are probably about there.

Who can forget last year's fascinating series which included such gems as; Hotblack's "Cable stretch - an in depth analysis in two parts", Tomsk's "The Hedgerow Vagrant - finding the right ditch for a bivvy" and, somewhat bizarrely, Joergen's "Mixing the beats - why So Solid Crew needed 119BPM for 21 seconds".

I am particularly looking forward to Psyclist's "Wild Bears - fear or flight response, titanium or steel ?" but first up for this season was Soupy's "Tour de France - the view from the inside".  Unlike most of our lectures, this one was not only an actual thing but interesting.  Watching the cricket highlights last night all I could think of was the cricketing equivalent of Soupy writing out "men with Steve Smith crying masks" on a timecode sheet.

The venue was the Chequers at Goldhanger and also present were the Hustler, Hotblack, Huggy, Tomsk, Joergen and Pierre Jean Van Stabel.

I joined the Witham peloton for the usual circuitous route to the pub which followed the classic OD method of setting off in the completely opposite direction and then turning further away just as you start to loop towards the final destination.  On arriving in Goldhanger we spotted a grumpy northerner having his "tea" in the village's other pub, the Cricketers - apparently the Chequers only do dinner.  I did suggest we join him for a quick pint but was shot down by the rest of the peloton who were keen to bag a good spot for the lecture.

We sampled Woodforde Wherry, Sneck Lifter by Jennings and something else.  Sneck Lifter took the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award.

Somewhat surprisingly, we did manage a bit of chat about the French Ride.  Even more surprisingly it was Huggy that led the chat.  When it comes to that Ride, Huggy is a bit like a reformed smoker irritably telling people off for making his clothes smell as he walks past them smoking outside.  Despite being an ancien, he normally shuts down any related conversation and rails against rides over 50km.  Perhaps he is growing soft in his old age or, more likely, with two weeks to go he didn't have much option.  Anyway, he succeeded in terrifying the Hustler with his detailed account of how he had nearly felt hungry at one point but had just managed to find a five course meal with proper linen in time.  Meanwhile, Jean nodded as confidently as one would when one has ridden the distance to the moon in the last six months.

I had a tide to catch so I had to dash off promptly.  That didn't happen.  Fortunately it was still a dry ride home but probably only by a few minutes. 

Part of the reason I was late in departing was that I and the others were rooted to the spot in disbelief as "more miles, less beer" Tomsk calmy climbed into his team car and ordered "home Dan".  Somehow the world doesn't seem the same any more.

Anyway, we will miss these balmy nights in February.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3598 on: 02 August, 2019, 10:46:11 am »
It's almost like I was there!  Nice one ted!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3599 on: 08 August, 2019, 01:28:46 am »
So - Hopfest this weekend, whos going and what time... I know there is a PBP tester heading off after "lunch" to Suffolk but there were a number of peeps asking what time on Saturday were others gathering at The Spiritual Home....

I'm easy so will go with the flow....

So what time and who.... names below ...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen