Linked Events

• The Bears do Twiteys: 09 May, 2024 - 13 May, 2024

Author Topic: Twitey's camping break - May 9th through 13th, 2024  (Read 5120 times)

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
Re: Twitey's camping break - May 9th through 13th, 2024
« Reply #50 on: 12 May, 2024, 04:54:32 pm »
I had a pleasant ride home too (yesterday).  First trip in ages when I haven't had to dry my tent out on return  . . . which was nice.

Re. cycleman's chain problem - I presume it is dropping onto a higher gear ( cos of chain-line comment and otherwise it'd be a simple case of limit screw).  Has it always been a problem or has it only recently manifested?  The only alternative to spacing out the cassette that I could think of was possibly a shorter axle BB - more hassle and expense (if possible).  Cheapest and easiest solution would be to sacrifice bottom gear and adjust limit screw to make it out of bounds - but presumably the bottom gear is needed.

Would a close clearance by virtue of the b limit screw help matters or not make a jot of difference?
Off the top of my head, bottom gear is tightest shifter cable - so could it be an issue of the friction shifter lever slipping and requiring a bit of nipping up?

Just throwing stuff out there for thought.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 12 May, 2024, 05:21:57 pm »
Re. cycleman's chain problem - I presume it is dropping onto a higher gear ( cos of chain-line comment and otherwise it'd be a simple case of limit screw).  Has it always been a problem or has it only recently manifested?  The only alternative to spacing out the cassette that I could think of was possibly a shorter axle BB - more hassle and expense (if possible).  Cheapest and easiest solution would be to sacrifice bottom gear and adjust limit screw to make it out of bounds - but presumably the bottom gear is needed.

Combination of issues:

- Cable tension and limit screw in need of adjustment, causing it not to stay in the lowest gear.  That was easily resolved with appropriate twiddling.

- When in the (?50T) lowest sprocket and under load, the chain would drop off the *top* of the sprocket (so not derailleur-related) early whenever a shortened-tooth-for-ease-of-shifting reached the 1 o'clock position (so a couple of times per wheel rotation), causing annoying graunching that *feels* like a derailleur adjustment problem, but isn't.

As a work-around, we twiddled the limit screw to make that sprocket out of bounds, losing the bottom gear.  The chain behaves fine in the second sprocket.

I wondered if moving a smaller sprocket to behind the cassette would make it work, sacrificing some less useful gear.

(AIUI this is a newish chain and cassette, and the problem was probably introduced by fitting a cassette with a dinner plate for a sprocket.)

((As is common for recumbents, the bottom bracket makes not a jot of difference to the chain-line, as that's determined by the drive-side idler pulley.  Which can't move any further inboard on account of the chain having to clear the suspension pivot.))

chopstick

« Reply #52 on: 12 May, 2024, 05:30:24 pm »
Cheers  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:30:06 pm »
The Rain has arrived in Brum.  Looks like it may have stayed west of Stratford?

« Reply #54 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:33:02 pm »
Yup.  No rain here.

In fact, I have sunburn despite being beneath the "UVGuard" gazebo.  🤔😞

chopstick

« Reply #55 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:39:33 pm »
No rain at Warwick University Arts Centre (Coventry)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:47:16 pm »
It's not very impressive rain, though any drop in temperature is welcome (currently about 25C upstairs).

I forgot to apply sunblock before leaving, and my arms feel like they've been out in the sun, but not to the point of burning.

Speaking of burning, I have supervised barakta in re-seasoning that wok outdoors without further fire alarms.  It did spike the PM10 count for a bit.

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 02:55:50 pm »
Finally cleared camp around midday.  Cycleman was up and packed early and drifted off before 9.  mllePB and I went for breakfast with our non-YACF friends at the Garden Shed cafe around 9:30.  When mllePB and I returned around 11 o'clock andrewc had departed, as expected.

I will leave others to wax lyrical about the weekend save to say that it must have been the hottest May on record.  I have the sunburns to attest to the sun. 

Highlight of the weekend was the blind man seeing the Northern Lights and recognising them whilst the sighted cohort dismissed them as cloud formations illuminated by the bright lights of Birmingham.

I win!  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have 3 pegs belonging to Chopstick and am down one smallish Anker power bank.  Hmmm ... 🤔  Such are the joys of camping.  🙂

I am thinking about doing another Twiteys weekend at the end of September to coincide with Rustival 2 at the nearby Gaydon motor museum.  All lovers of rotting ICE from the fifties to the noughties might well be interested.

We are seriously considering glamping.  Hardy types and their tents most welcome of course.

chopstick

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 03:45:02 pm »
I will endeavour to meet you in September and I'll make sure there's enough room in my peg bag for three more  ;D

I'm not much good at waxing lyrically or otherwise (my chain does get the odd dose of oil though).

I did have a lovely (albeit short) time and despite being a relative stranger, felt welcomed into and part of the group.  Next time, I might even try cooking something instead of eating cold and using the microwave (I can't type that without saying it in my head like Nigella Lawson pronounced it).

I think I'm going to need a bigger hip-flask  ;)

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 05:12:40 pm »
All I can say chopstick is,

Where did you get that hat, where did you get that hat?

Seriously, one might be good for me.

Oh, and it was great to meet you, listen to your stories and very much enjoy your whisky.  Many thanks indeed.  🥃

« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 05:13:24 pm »
Now home after an uneventful train journey.  Thanks to PB for organising a pleasant weekend & to everyone else for the good company.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 06:27:41 pm »
Cycleman just texted to tell me that he has found a front garden to pitch on at Stoke Lyne near Bicester.  Apparently it is raining so he's hunkering down.

chopstick

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 08:24:05 pm »
That hat?  It's this one:

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com//walk-hike-c1/accessories-c16/hats-c40/outdoor-research-sun-runner-cap-p60444/s330363

Not cheap (though likely cheaper than Tilley) but so much better than similar items that I've tried - a big advantage of this one for cycling is that the neck flap doesn't blow up and expose the neck/ears.  Personally, I find it a much "nicer" hat than alternatives I have tried.  The flap (valance/skirt??) is removable and the residual cap is good too.

A close alternative for me was a Decathlon cap (which is no longer available) but the flap was fiddlier, with a velcro attachment - and it pretty much caught the breeze and left my neck and ears exposed on the bike.  I remedied this with a piece of chord attached to one bottom corner of the flap with a clip and ring to join it to the other bottom corner - I was happyish with it until I saw the OR cap.  I faltered at the price but bought it and haven't looked back (but not because of the flap being in the way).

chopstick

« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 08:30:40 pm »
Cycleman just texted to tell me that he has found a front garden to pitch on at Stoke Lyne near Bicester.  Apparently it is raining so he's hunkering down.

Had to look up Stoke Lyne - near Upper Heyford - I remember that from the peace camp days of the early 80s.  He's got a long slog ahead of him yet [insert appropriate emoji because I can't find a suitable one].

chopstick

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 08:34:34 pm »
Now home after an uneventful train journey.  Thanks to PB for organising a pleasant weekend & to everyone else for the good company.
Hi andrewc - it was nice to meet you - I now realise that you are who I think of online as "lambanana man"  ;D  Your voice is not like the one I had internalised when reading your posts (but neither was anyone else's - they all sounded like me tbh).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 10:39:12 pm »
I ignored the aurora, but I did get a half-decent photo of the sunset on Friday night: