Author Topic: London to Brighton BHF ride  (Read 19517 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: London to Brighton BHF ride
« Reply #50 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »
This isn't a bike ride, it's a day out with some riding involved. Go with that attitude, and you'll enjoy it.

I think this is the right attitude.

If it's a bike ride you're after, why not try the Ditchling Devil the week before - only £10 to enter, with plentiful food laid on and transport back to London included at no extra cost.

Only down side is you don't get a commemorative T-shirt.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
Where do I need to ride to in order to get back to London - it can be safely presumed that I won’t feel like riding back.

Maybe Hastings? It's a different line back to London from there. Still a few miles but not as far as riding all the way back to London.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2012, 10:12:45 pm »
I’m doing the night version this time round.

Am I right in saying that the trains are refusing all bikes all weekend? Where do I need to ride to in order to get back to London - it can be safely presumed that I won’t feel like riding back.

Anyone else doing it? I haven’t, as you may detect, had a look at all the bumpf yet but I note that it seems to avoid the Ditchling Beacon  ::-) presumably due to safety concerns.

yes it goes via Saddlescombe; not much easier than the Beacon

(saw all the signs up yesterday)

« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »
Maybe Hastings? It's a different line back to London from there. Still a few miles but not as far as riding all the way back to London.

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

Saddlescombe; not much easier than the Beacon

Similar length and gradient?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #54 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »
I think saddlescombe goes on longer but not as steeply. Are they turning right towards the golf course?  On a train related note, I asked the nice man at Redhill station if there were any restrictions this weekend. He hadn't heard of any, so you might be ok for a train back from brighton.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Martin

« Reply #55 on: 27 May, 2012, 11:44:50 am »
I saw a lot of night riders on the train back up to That London at Gatwick; didn't seem to be any restrictions on bikes there were loads on the train. 5000 riders apparently

would have been a fantastic night for it. There were a couple kipping by the roadside near Copthorne. I think for the money I'd rather do the DD (which I can't either this year)