Linked Events

• Not quite not the diamond jubilee campong weekend: 18 May, 2012 - 20 May, 2012

Author Topic: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend  (Read 33394 times)

Re: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend
« Reply #100 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:01:46 am »
13 miles from Rugby station using predominantly nice back lanes.   I need to check out a minor diversion due to awkward gates for trikes, tandems and loaded tourers. 

Leamongton Spa is definitely the best (as in closest) option for rail access from that Larndun!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend
« Reply #101 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:18:45 am »
Cheers chaps. Lemme know the ride for sat and I'll make a choice if to go for trike or single speed.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #102 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:38:42 pm »
I´m feeling tempted to head for the Green Man this weekend  :-\
An over night camp and a few pints on Saturday Hmm!

« Reply #103 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »
Well I did it and it was great!
Couldn't have asked for better weather, and Mark the landlord was his usual very friendly self. Took about 3 hours from home, so I will have to think about whether I would be able to make it in daylight after I will have cycled 8.5 miles home from work.
Still looking forward to meeting you all.
Terry

« Reply #104 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:41:27 pm »
If you arrive at Leamington Station, the Grand Union Canal is <100 metres away. The towpath will take you all the way to Long Itchinton. You will know you're there when the Two Boats pub jumps out at you!

However, you can hop off the canal at a big viaduct, do the climb up the hill and a then enjoy a lovely, long descent into the village. This route is more convenient for the Green Man.

There is also a greenway route into the village that you can hop onto at the same viaduct above, but it can be boggy. I recommend the middle route, I.e. the canal & road combo.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #105 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
Might be a vehicule for me usual reasons ......... :P
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #106 on: 24 March, 2012, 07:00:34 pm »
An update:

I visited today whilst trundling the lanes of Warwickshire getting mildly sunburned.   The weekend of 18th - 20th May is now firmed up and early arrivals and late departures are welcome.

I will be checking the email as previously stated and replying once I return from my week oop north  ;D   For those who have not yet emailed, please do so as follows:

Please email me at polarbearatyacf@gmail.com.   Title your email camping then your YACF name, i.e.  camping a warwickshire lad. and tell me in the email numbers, and other pertinent details such as tent / caravan / campervan, etc.   

Some snippets:

Cost per head is £8 per night.   I reckon that the field could take forty tents without resorting to absolute festival standards.   Caravans and campervans are also welcome. 

The field is actually a Camping and Caravanning Club certified site if that means anything to anybody here (Clarioin and Butterfly maybe?)

There are only toilets onsite but apparently the local community centre is flexible and allows the use of the showers for a small charge.   One for either myself of AWL to check out methinks...

On Friday evenings the chip van arrives sometime after 7:30p.m.  It arrived at 8:15pp.m. yesterday apparently!   Our host is happy that folk buy their chip suppers and eat them in the pub whilst sampling his liquid wares.

Our host can lay on a buffet style fried brekkie working along the lines of an honesty box.   Earlier this week they apparently laid on breakfast for 48 cyclists!!!
However, I can also recommend the Long Itch diner (greasy spoon) as well as Hilltop Farm, Hunningham for that slightly more upmarket cooked breakfast.   

Mlle PB and I have plans to lead a Saturday excursion to Canons Ashby, a National Trust place in Northamptonshire.   The round trip is approximately 40 miles from Long Itch and we can vary the route to avoid retracing virtually all of our pedalling.   They do a very nice menu there.   Unfortunately this area of the UK is a bit lumpy.   There is no way to smooth out the hills so please accept my apologies if you're a flatlander.   I was also contemplating a picnic ride to Draycote Water for the less ambitious / more relaxed of us.   If there is demand I woudl be happy to lead out the Draycote posse and leave Mlle PB the task of taking the lead to Canons Ashby.   

On the Sunday morning I was contemplating doing a YACF jersey stack along the lines of the Penny Stack.   For those not in the know, what happens is that we all gather in a line, or maybe a semi circle for the camera, all wearing a YACF jersey, and all supported on our bikes by holding the bike either side of you with your feet on the pedals of your machine.   Slightly trickier for those at the ends maybe?   Seems like some daft fun and something for other YACF gatherings to try and beat in the future.

« Reply #107 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »
Canons Ashby is a lovely site but the baked spuds are a tad chere!  O:-)

« Reply #108 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »
i am still hoping to come but i am nervous of committing due my finances at the moment . how late can i leave it before you need to know ?.
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #109 on: 24 March, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »
Interested in the response to this. ^
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #110 on: 25 March, 2012, 09:08:29 am »
You can just turn up if you wish.  Numbers are a convenience for us organisers but there is flexibility.   :)

« Reply #111 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:29:44 am »
How many are signed up now PB?

« Reply #112 on: 09 April, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »
Will need to check Canardly.

I also need to check the price as I understand that it has gone up to £9 pppn   

« Reply #113 on: 09 April, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »
Hi, please put my name down for this  :)

You have email and PM   :)

« Reply #114 on: 18 April, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
Has this been put in the diary?

« Reply #115 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »
i will make every effort to get to this but i will not know till the last minute.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #116 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:46:11 pm »
Has this been put in the diary?

No.  I'm clueless as to how to.   I can't even find the diary.   :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:47:58 pm »
See the "link to calendar" button down there?  That.

|
  |
 \/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #118 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »
I'm definitely very interested in this. I haven't yet broached the subject with Mrs. Wow as only yesterday i sprung the York Rally on her and all that camping is just too much to contemplate at the moment.

If it's one or both, it will only be the one tent. I'll ride from Banbury as it's in the Network Card area. Oddly, tickets form London to Banbury are more expensive than tickets from London to Leamington Spa.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #119 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:23:19 pm »
Given that a errm beer festival happens to be taking place during said visit. Does camp site have hedges? Recent experience tells me that FYBO and finding your shoes subsequent to an early (very) morning stiff soled walk for two hundred meters is not good for the soul. Memo to self I must get some of those slip on things.

« Reply #120 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:40:43 pm »
Is there?  The regular beer festival is not our weekend.

« Reply #121 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »
Thanks Kim.  It seems to whiff a bit...   :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #122 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:45:08 pm »
Given that a errm beer festival happens to be taking place during said visit. Does camp site have hedges? Recent experience tells me that FYBO and finding your shoes subsequent to an early (very) morning stiff soled walk for two hundred meters is not good for the soul. Memo to self I must get some of those slip on things.

The trick is to set your shoes up for easy access before you go to sleep.  And not to lie there for more than about 10 minutes hoping your bladder will somehow become less full: it won't.

Current thinking from team Kim-barakta is that we're going to try and avoid any kind of railway entanglement:  This may involve me carrying literally all our kit in a trailer.  It will probably involve a gentle pootle to Draycote Water on the Saturday rather than any serious riding, so that barakta may have enough energy left to make it back up the hill on Sunday.

« Reply #123 on: 20 April, 2012, 06:52:25 am »
Sigh thought the local village had a beer fest... never mind.

« Reply #124 on: 20 April, 2012, 06:57:28 am »
It does.  Two weeks earlier.