Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126434 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Mayor of the 8e Arrondissement of Paris after the Algerian football team reached the final of the Coupe d'Affrique and their supporters in Paris converged on the Champs Elysées:

"It's not normal to celebrate your team winning with petrol bombs and a chain saw".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't follow sport but this young lass is amazeballs!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/49152183

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
In the pub, they are watching Liverpool  v Chelsea in something called 'The Super Cup'. (No. I've no idea either)
I've noticed that all three officials are women.  Is that a common thing these days?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

The UEFA Super Cup is between the winners of the Champions League and the Europa League. It's been going 44 years in various forms. Prior to the Europa League it was between the winners of the Champions League (ex: European Cup) and the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup (which preceded the Europa League).

It's the first time a female has officiated in the final of a UEFA men's competition.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
So, a sort of European Charity Shield without the Charity.  Or the Shield.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Not that many Europeans, either.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The mighty Furryboottoon AFC won it recently*.

*FCVO recently.

5 sets of tickets in the Euro 2020 draw.

3 Group D games (which will be England's group assuming they don't screw up and fail to qualify). One Round-of-16 game and one of the Semi finals.

Tickets were the lowest category so 50EUR for the group and r-o-16 games and 85EUR for the semi final.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/24/colchester-tottenham-carabao-cup-match-report

Good grief!

Colchester beat Leeds in 1971. I was still at school then.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
And with Somerset looking shaky for the cricket due to weather, it's not looking good for my teams this week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
And another bit of Good Grief! 0 - 0 and a win for the underdog on penalties is noteworthy. A "League 1" side hammering a top Premiership side 4 - 0 is amazing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
And another three premiership sides going down to championship opposition last night.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
It must be quite some time since both Manchesters United & City lost on the same day.

Edit: September 13th 2013 was one such, West Brom beating United and Aston Villa beating City. I don't know if it was the last time. The source I found which revealed this said it was 5 years since the last time they both lost on the same day.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I've just seen a photo of Gareth Bale celebrating a goal.

He looks just like Alun Wyn Jones in a wig.

Has anyone ever seen them together?

Basil

• Help me!
Alun Wyn Jones is three times the size of Bale.

Alun Wyn Jones watches over us while we sleep.

Alun Wyn Jones doesn't look like someone who'd ever contemplate wearing his hair in a man-bun.

And WRT that tonsorial question, one should always defer to Toshiro Mifune. ;)

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/93/83/5c/93835c8f723a4bdcf110b382fcbf2038--lol-funny-funny-jokes.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Alun Wyn Jones is three times the size of Bale.

Alun Wyn Jones watches over us while we sleep.

;D

Well that wasn't so much a football match as a demolition job by Leicester against Southampton at St. Mary's tonight.  :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50092694

The numbers
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Help me!
Probably best to steer clear of Swansea on Sunday.
Pubs open at 8am for the rugby. (as they will across Wales)
Then at 12 noon we have the local derby, Swansea  v Cardiff football which is always a big police overtime job.
It ain't gonna be pretty.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Maybe this will et a thread of its own at some stage, but it appears that Wales have beaten Hungary 2 - 0 in fupbol and have qualified for the European Championships.

Pity that they won't be able to play because of Brexit. ;)

Maybe this will et a thread of its own at some stage, but it appears that Wales have beaten Hungary 2 - 0 in fupbol and have qualified for the European Championships.

We'll still be part of UEFA. The boundaries are somewhat fuzzy, Israel are also a member! :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

We'll still be part of UEFA. The boundaries are somewhat fuzzy, Israel are also a member! :)

I know. Tongue in cheek. But I wonder how "Football Lads for Democracy" (aka Twattish Thugs) see this?

I know. Tongue in cheek. But I wonder how "Football Lads for Democracy" (aka Twattish Thugs) see this?
They wouldn't want to lose their opportunity to go abroad, get drunk and throw chairs around surely?

They wouldn't want to lose their opportunity to go abroad, get drunk and throw chairs around surely?

Just wait till they need a visa to travel to watch a rugby match in France or Italy ...

Particularly if the drunken loutish behaviour at a football match results in record which prevents approval.  :demon: