Author Topic: The pet-specific rant/grumble thread  (Read 6066 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
The pet-specific rant/grumble thread
« on: 10 October, 2016, 08:21:35 pm »
Kitchen sink wasn't draining. Unclogged it. Why was it filled with cat hair? Why? Why?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: The pet-specific rant/grumble thread
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2016, 08:30:35 pm »
He's jealous of you sneaking off to the pool & leaving him behind, so has worked out how to use the plug & taps to get some lengths done ?

When we had a cast iron bath one cat would wait until it had drained & then roll about enjoying the warmth  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:10:59 am »
Cat hair gets everywhere. Bad Cat is white and mackerel and leaves fine white hair on everything. I spend half my life with one of those sticky rollers trying the get the stuff off my clothes. It's guaranteed that if I wear black trousers she's sneak up and rub right by my leg as I leave house. Little shit. Little Monster Cat is more bristly and ginger. She gets furminated every day. Furminator doesn't work on Bad Cat. I may just get the Wahl out.

Not in the sink though. It's my wife who blocks sinks with her hair. I don't know what she does either.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:01:31 pm »
At the other end of the street lives a gorgeous wee cat called Marley. She has a weird, squinched-up goblin face, and beautiful tabby with a hint of ginger fur. She likes to hang about on the wall outside her flat or sunbathe on car bonnets. If she doesn't have important catting to do, she will happily sit with me on the wall and have a cuddle and a chat.

Tonight I was on my way home and Marley was sitting on top of the hedge. An elderly man was walking his medium sized dog, until the dog saw Marley and tried to jump the hedge to get her. Marley shot off across the road, with the dog right behind her, while the man said "come back, come back." After a little while he realised the dog was ignoring him so started to follow the dog at a glacial pace. Meanwhile, the dog and Marley have disappeared out of sight and I'm terrified that the dog is massacring her. I suggested to the man that if he can't control his dog he should keep it on a lead, and he responded that all dogs chase cats and there's nothing to be done about it. So I told him that dogs can be trained not to chase cats, and they can also be kept on leads, and he told me to mind my own business. I told him it was my business and he should keep his dog on a lead, and he walked off, luckily with the dog following him. I went to look for Marley but there was no sign of her, so I went and told her owner what had happened. She seemed to think Marley will come home but she'll go and look for her if she's away too long.

I am so cross with that selfish arsehole of a man who clearly couldn't give a shit if his dog killed a cat. I wish I'd taken a photo of him. If I see him again, I will.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:13:15 pm »
...and he responded that all dogs chase cats and there's nothing to be done about it...

Gah  :demon:

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2017, 05:59:33 am »
What an arse.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:17:08 am »
Sadly that seems to encapsulate the attitude of many dog owners (yeah, I love it when your dog comes charging at me, after all he's just being friendly). You might want to point out that, if cornered, the cat is likely to ensure he gets a big vet's bill to repair his dog. It's not a good idea for either party.

I'm sure Marley is OK, cats are fast.

essexian

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2017, 01:48:09 pm »
Two doors down from us have a shi....sorry, small dog called Digger. Frankly, its a waste of fur as all it does is bark and poo. Oh and try and run the neighbourhood.

Well, until she died aged 87 a few months ago, our neighbour on the other side (Dot) "dog shared" Digger in that she would take it out for a walk (we don't think it's gone out since Dot died). To do so, she would stand in her drive and call resulting in Digger jumping over his owners front gate and making across our garden to Dots.

Well, one day around 4 years ago, one of my cats, Colin, was in the way. Colin was a LARGE cat (at his heaviest, some 8kg) so wasn't that fast moving. Face to face they came and an argument followed as Colin would not take a backward step but Digger wanted his say. So, out I go to split them up, only for Digger to have a go at me which resulted in me aiming (and aiming to miss by the way) a kick at the said waste of fur.

This quite upset both neighbours who haven't spoken to us (well one of them is died so it would be quite difficult to do) since....its been lovely.  ;D   

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:05:55 pm »
We introduced our dog to cats for the first time last weekend - he's only four months old. We were over at my parents' place for Sunday lunch, and their next door neighbours have two cats.

One of the cats came up and was staring in through the patio doors. Dog was fascinated so I took him out on a lead and let him get close but not too close. It was clear he wanted to play, but also clear that the cat wasn't interested - he just walked off with an aloof air, in the way cats do.

A bit later, the other cat (a somewhat older and less mobile moggy) came into the garden and started sniffing around the dog's food bowl which I'd left outside. Took the dog out again - on the lead, of course. This time, the cat showed no interest in moving away as the dog got closer. But then the dog got too close and the cat gave him a swift uppercut accompanied by a fearsome hiss.

Dog was most put out!

I think dogs need to be exposed to cats (and other animals, and people) but should also be trained not to chase them - and definitely kept on a lead if you can't trust them not to go chasing after them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:11:54 pm »
We have a dog and a cat.

We tried introducing the dog to the cat when we first got the dog and she was just a pup (cat was already 12 years old by then) but the cat wasn't having any of it. Three months of half the kitchen dinner being split of with a metal mesh to allow them to acclimatise without putting pressure on the cat and she still wouldn't make friends. Now two years later she has one end of the house and the dog the other. If they meet the dog still chases her. Mind you she did corner her last moth and old grumpy cat gave Tilly a bloody nose for her efforts.
Is a shame really as Tilly is such a softy I bet if that cat had made an effort they would have got on fine. But cats are cats and you cant make them do anything especially old grumpy ones.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »
.... if that cat had made an effort....

See where your problem was?

I suspect that adding young cat to dog is more successful than adding young dog to cat ang young-young is ideal.

Many, many, years ago when we added young cat to older dog it worked out perfectly, aside from the slight difference in size (cat was a small cat at best, dog was a big long haired alsatian) you might have found it difficult to tell apart. The cat used to come for walks, too. If we visited a hostellery, she'd be waiting outside for the return leg.

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2017, 05:54:15 pm »
One of these days that dog will dart across a road to get a cat and it will end up dead, even if he's a shit who doesn't care about other people's pets, doesn't he think of that?

Even if I didn't care about the cats (I do, I don't want any animal hurt) I keep Cam on a lead anywhere they might be for that reason and he might want to think on that too. She is (or used to be, in younger days) quite capable of catching them, unfortunately. I do wish the ones next door would learn to stay out of our garden for their own good. As I got her in her middle age, training her not to chase cats would have been nigh-on impossible; it has been hard enough getting her to be civil around (most) other dogs.

In other grumbles, Cam now spends a portion of the night very anxious - getting up, pacing around, panting, and waking me up for no particular reason. The vet says she is in great physical health and it's the onset of dementia  :-\ She's got some pills which have helped a little bit, but nothing really stops it, and I expect it will only get worse now. But she's still very happy during the day. She certainly still enjoys all the things she used to (walks, food, fuss, keeping watch and barking at the cats if they try to sit on our wall - which is far too high for her to ever reach them) and remembers who everyone is.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »
Is a shame really as Tilly is such a softy I bet if that cat had made an effort they would have got on fine. But cats are cats and you cant make them do anything especially old grumpy ones.

The way I see it, it's like if, after a decade of blissful co-habiting sanity, I was made to share a house with noisy smoker students again.  There might be good reasons, but I wouldn't feel inclined to make an effort either.

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:48:43 am »

The way I see it, it's like if, after a decade of blissful co-habiting sanity, I was made to share a house with noisy smoker students again.  There might be good reasons, but I wouldn't feel inclined to make an effort either.

:) :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 01 April, 2017, 02:00:40 pm »
Morphy has never in his 13 years had a very close encounter with a cat. He sees them from time to time and looks interested in a waggy way.

When he was quite young - probably a year or two old - he did meet a large black feline in the park. He approached it in his sideways-on-here's-my-arse-if-you-want-a-sniff manner but the cat was clearly not impressed. When he was within a couple of yards of it it decided that was enough and ran at him in an aggressive manner. He had the sense to turn tail and flee.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15 on: 01 April, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »
hmm all this moaning about pet hair, you decided to have a pet, so live it, get used to it. Honestly I don't mind if you rock up to my wedding/meeting/orwhatever and there is a spot of fur on your trouser leg or shoulder. All that tells me is that you have a pet and therefore you must be a good person and it gives me (and hopefully us) something to talk about.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 01 April, 2017, 02:18:16 pm »
Morphy has never in his 13 years had a very close encounter with a cat. He sees them from time to time and looks interested in a waggy way.

When he was quite young - probably a year or two old - he did meet a large black feline in the park. He approached it in his sideways-on-here's-my-arse-if-you-want-a-sniff manner but the cat was clearly not impressed. When he was within a couple of yards of it it decided that was enough and ran at him in an aggressive manner. He had the sense to turn tail and flee.

It always fascinates me when cats and dogs do manage to get on, given the language barrier.  But I suppose the same can be said about cats and humans.  It seems to work best when the cat's young enough to regard them as a mother or sibling when they're introduced, rather than a stranger they have to do politics with.

« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »

It always fascinates me when cats and dogs do manage to get on, given the language barrier.  But I suppose the same can be said about cats and humans.  It seems to work best when the cat's young enough to regard them as a mother or sibling when they're introduced, rather than a stranger they have to do politics with.

My cats treat the dog as an interesting moving cat toy- something to pounce on when it comes round the corner.
They treat him with utter disdain when he barks though.
It probably helps that he was 'brought up' by my last Siamese cats who were here before him. He has more trouble interacting properly with other dogs- who he is terrified of. Probably thinks he is a cat  ;D

ian

« Reply #18 on: 02 April, 2017, 02:05:01 pm »
We'd don't have dogs but we do have foxes aplenty in the garden. It's quite interesting watching the interaction with the cats (or lack thereof). We have two outdoor shelters for the cats (they have a cat flap into the house, but like sitting out in the rain for some reason). The foxes often have the same idea. We did worry at first, but the cats mostly studiously ignore the foxes, and foxes are only mildly intrigued by the cats. Neither seem to view one another as potential threats. I once watched Bad Cat sit about a metre away to stare intently at the fox ensconced in her box until it finally have up and vacated. And then, being a cat, she decided she didn't want in at all and wandered off to have a nap somewhere else.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2017, 04:31:48 pm »
Not so much a rant about pets, but about their inconsiderate owners.

We went out today, TLD to Lightwater Valley, myself and Mrs T to Costco.

Upon returning to the house, we find a huge pile of shit, right in the entrance to the driveway. Some inconsiderate bastard had allowed their dog to shit just there (there is no way that they didn't notice, the pile was about the size of a small football!), then they just walked away, leaving us to clean it up. If I catch them, I will happily go around to their house and take a dump on their drive. Bastards.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2017, 05:23:10 pm »
I told the cat to put her watch back an hour this morning, did she listen? did she ever. She's now complaining about the catering arrangements.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2017, 09:30:39 pm »
I told the cat to put her watch back an hour this morning, did she listen? did she ever. She's now complaining about the catering arrangements.
I now deal with this by accepting that Pete can't tell the time and doesn't understand about changing the clocks so the best thing I can do is pretending it hasn't happened. During BST he gets his dinner no earlier than 6, during GMT no earlier than 5. The automatic feeder is set to go off at 0530 but I can't be arsed changing the clock on it, so the little bit of dry food it gives him (to stop him pestering me for breakfast) is at 0530 during GMT and 0630 during BST.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2017, 09:37:25 pm »
Tilley was good this am she waited to 5:30am  ::-)

But sadly it was also bladder o'clock so I fed her, else I would have told her to crawl under the duvet and I would have had about 1-2 hours more sleep before she would nag me again. She don't know the different between week and weekend. Oh the joy of getting up at 6am on weekdays but can kip as long as I want weekends. But lucky she loves to snuggle up under the duvet when I want more kip time.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2017, 08:46:17 am »
Our timekeeping lab Ezra (think Henry in The Dream Team) was grizzling every time a meal or a trot out came up on his personal schedule yesterday.  We sort-of split the difference with him.  His brother Raz just sat back and let him get on with it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2017, 10:09:51 pm »
Tilley was good this am she waited to 5:30am  ::-)

But sadly it was also bladder o'clock so I fed her, else I would have told her to crawl under the duvet and I would have had about 1-2 hours more sleep before she would nag me again. She don't know the different between week and weekend. Oh the joy of getting up at 6am on weekdays but can kip as long as I want weekends. But lucky she loves to snuggle up under the duvet when I want more kip time.

Our Tilly is very good about weekends. During the week she mythers for a walk if you haven't taken her by 7:30 but on a weekend she will wait until 10:00. I think she can tell its weekend because Mrs Pcolbeck hasn't gone to work at 7:20 (I work from home a lot). Mind you if she hasnt been fed by 6:30 there will be barking.