Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37619 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #175 on: 26 March, 2018, 11:14:24 am »
Thanks to all helpers at both events this weekend.

Special mention  to the great folks of Salisbury COGS for bacon and egg butties from 0430 at the new Amesbury control on the Hardboiled. Rain feels nicer on tea and butty.

Wave to them via this:
https://m.facebook.com/COGS-1503175213263194/

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #176 on: 26 March, 2018, 11:25:24 am »
Big thanks to Shawn and Andrew for a great weekend of rides that were scenic and challenging in equal measure!! Now I need to come back next year to ride the Wessex 600km and complete the set after Porkers 400 last year.

PS: was the HB300 run two years ago? The ladies at the Cattistock Tearoom told me I was 16 minutes ahead of the time some Italian Olympian came through there 2 years ago. First of all Audax isn't a race. And second, I doubt any Olympian rides through the night like on the HB, but still wonder whether there was any truth in what they said.

« Reply #177 on: 26 March, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
was the HB300 run two years ago? The ladies at the Cattistock Tearoom told me I was 16 minutes ahead of the time some Italian Olympian came through there 2 years ago.

I don't know about Olympian, but the formidable Gianluigi Z ('G') zoomed around the HB in 2016. I remember the Cattistock controllers kindly letting me know how many hours it was since he left, when I arrived (at least 4, I think).

« Reply #178 on: 26 March, 2018, 03:27:21 pm »
Gianlugi is a friend. I am seeing him next week and we will have a good laugh about him being described as an Olympian. The truth is rather more prosaic. He rode in the group to the first control - which was then the pub. But said he had to push on as he was taking his wife out in London that evening and had promised he would be home by 7.30pm come what may and that was the condition of him doing the ride. So he rode the rest of the route on his own -in something of a rush. Not a bad bike rider tho it must be said......

« Reply #179 on: 26 March, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »
Gianlugi is a friend. I am seeing him next week and we will have a good laugh about him being described as an Olympian. The truth is rather more prosaic. He rode in the group to the first control - which was then the pub. But said he had to push on as he was taking his wife out in London that evening and had promised he would be home by 7.30pm come what may and that was the condition of him doing the ride. So he rode the rest of the route on his own -in something of a rush. Not a bad bike rider tho it must be said......

LOL - it did indeed sound like a far-fetched story. I have never heard of Olympians riding Audax, but then again it takes all sorts and I haven't been doing this Audax stuff for that long yet, so you never know?! Ask him what time he got back to Queen Mary Inn when you see him.

« Reply #180 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »

LOL - it did indeed sound like a far-fetched story. I have never heard of Olympians riding Audax, but then again it takes all sorts and I haven't been doing this Audax stuff for that long yet, so you never know?! Ask him what time he got back to Queen Mary Inn when you see him.

That talk of Olympians brings back memories when our team beat the team including future three times Olympian Jürgen Nolte http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/sport/regio-sport/Jürgen-Nolte-erinnert-sich-an-Olympia-article170096.html to become four a side indoor school champs. Sadly I was a DNS for this ride, but on the Brimstone I recommend from my experience you pack sun lotion.

« Reply #181 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »
My first Dorset Coast. I very much enjoyed racing for the 8:40 ferry and the hills to Weymouth were gentle enough that I got there with an hour in hand. I didn't stay long in the café and still barely managed to get to Axminster on time. And then there were more hills!

Even taking the A35 direct to Dorchester, skipping tea at the control and riding non-stop I just got to the finish with under five minutes to go.

(the guy I was riding with stayed for tea, then couldn't face the cold outside without a jacket and got the train to Wareham)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #182 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:18:05 pm »
A few photos from the HB
...including some of Rumps mending punctures in the dark, cold, wet...& ummm filth?

Great pictures, love the black and white one of Parky  :thumbsup:

« Reply #183 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:20:09 am »
Big (but belated) thanks to Shawn, Andrew and all the helpers over the first Wessex weekend !

It was an amazing weekend and full of contrasts - Saturday's wet, gloomy and cloudy horizons replaced by sunny blue skies and mainly dry roads on Sunday.

My bike is getting a deep clean and rebuild today. New brake pads, tyres and a rear hub rebuild ... Wessex rides are a complete test !

Lee Killestein

« Reply #184 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »
Many thanks to Shawn, Andrew and their teams for a great weekend of cycling. I notice on the current standings page that a number of riders have *times missing* against their entry for the hard boiled. What needs to happen here?

Smeth

« Reply #185 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:12:36 pm »
Many thanks to Shawn, Andrew and their teams for a great weekend of cycling. I notice on the current standings page that a number of riders have *times missing* against their entry for the hard boiled. What needs to happen here?
Shawn's waiting for the commercial control sheets to come back. Those with smiles also entered the times themselves on brevet cards in case the sheets go adrift. (Edit: Said with the wisdom of having just asked the same question!)

« Reply #186 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:17:37 pm »
Smeth, are you sure it isn't because some riders might have fallen into the holes around Axminster and have not come out yet?Has anyone checked the river downstream of the ford?

Smeth

« Reply #187 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »
Smeth, are you sure it isn't because some riders might have fallen into the holes around Axminster and have not come out yet?Has anyone checked the river downstream of the ford?
Possibly......

Lee Killestein

« Reply #188 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:21:47 pm »
Shawn's waiting for the commercial control sheets to come back. Those with smiles also entered the times themselves on brevet cards in case the sheets go adrift. (Edit: Said with the wisdom of having just asked the same question!)

Thanks. I didn't note the times on my brevet card. Will know better next time. Wait, what am I saying??  :o

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #189 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:22:23 pm »

It's worth carrying ropes and a ladder on bike rides now.  When does a pot-hole become a chasm become a rift-valley?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Smeth

« Reply #190 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »

It's worth carrying ropes and a ladder on bike rides now.  When does a pot-hole become a chasm become a rift-valley?

Simples!

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #191 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:08:00 pm »
Porkers 400
With 13 days left to enter I have been asked a disturbing question ???: are the 'fantastic control stops with volunteers' still going to be there?  :o
I would like to take the opportunity to assure all participating cyclists that the controls are all booked and looking forward to taking good care of you all in their usual places.  :thumbsup: If you can find them . . . WessexSR route sheets! :facepalm:

The route between Corscombe and Winterborne Whitechurch has been slightly shortened. The route away from Hardway to Arrivee has been completely reworked as we are no longer encouraged to eat drink and make merry at the Shearwater Lake cafe. Exciting! The event still earns 6 AAApts so you will not be disappointed! 8)

Smeth

« Reply #192 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:15:43 pm »

Porkers 400
The route away from Hardway to Arrivee has been completely reworked as we are no longer encouraged to eat drink and make merry at the Shearwater Lake cafe. Exciting! The event still earns 6 AAApts so you will not be disappointed! 8)
I'm sure you wont deprive us of the pain and splendour between Wylye and Sixpenny Handley

« Reply #193 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:39:53 am »
I can't wait ... my fave audax event  :thumbsup:

« Reply #194 on: 10 April, 2018, 05:53:01 pm »
My favorite ride too! But sadly i will be missing from the ride this year :'( it clashes with mini cyclist birthday, he is happy for me to ride, being a cyclist he understands the importance of not missing rides ;D

Unfortunately for once mrs postie is not so understanding  :facepalm:

Still over a week to win her over :demon:

Lee Killestein

« Reply #195 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:31:55 am »
Bit of an odd one this...Does anybody know why the results for this year's Dorset Coast have disappeared from the AUK results page?  ???

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #196 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:58:10 pm »
Bit of an odd one this...Does anybody know why the results for this year's Dorset Coast have disappeared from the AUK results page?  ???

Its not just me then! 👍🏼

My FWC brevet has been returned signed, so I would speculate they'll reappear soon enough.
Rule 77

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #197 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:14:44 am »

Apologies,  yes, it's so we can rectify a rookie organiser mistake I made with the results (3 brevet cards got misfiled with the DNSs and DNFs) which requires everything to be unpublished, so they can be re-published correctly. ...they'll be back up as soon as I get the right results entered. Sorry.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #198 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:13:22 am »

Apologies,  yes, it's so we can rectify a rookie organiser mistake I made with the results (3 brevet cards got misfiled with the DNSs and DNFs) which requires everything to be unpublished, so they can be re-published correctly. ...they'll be back up as soon as I get the right results entered. Sorry.

Not a problem, thanks for letting me know. I was just confused about where the results had gone. Thanks again to you and the team. The Dorset Coast was one of the best events I’ve ridden so far.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #199 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:22:33 am »
Met office website: UK Outlook for Friday 4 May 2018 to Friday 18 May 2018:

At the start of May changeable conditions are probable at first, ... The forecast through the rest of this period is currently very uncertain, ... the first half of May ... we could see a mixture of periods of more settled, fine and dry ... spells of showery and more changeable weather. Overall it will be wettest in the northwest, and driest in the southeast. Temperatures are likely to be around average, but with the risk of some cooler northerly winds at times.  ::-)

So for the Porkers 400, much as usual, be prepared for anything.  ;)

Entries close this weekend  :o