Author Topic: Hull City of Culture 2017 thread for things that don't warrant a blahblahblah.  (Read 3100 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
So... 2017 and Hull City of Culture then. Well. Wow. What's On

Anyone coming to the party? We're hoping to have the pavement finished in time. Here's a taster of the fun: Cosey Fanni Tutti and Genesis P-ORRIDGE are coming back to Hull on Feb 3rd. I've got my tickets. :)

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott are planning a stadium appearance on the 3rd June too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I don't know about those, but I've never ridden over the Humber Bridge. And there's a small village a few miles to the east of Hull where my cousins lived way back back back in the second millennium; I remember the sparks from the shipyard and my inland brain being amazed that the 'beach' was actually on a river not the sea. Apparently they build wind turbine support ships there now. Do they still have white phone boxes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Do they still have white phone boxes?

Yep, and as compensation for all those years of free dialup, they have crap broadband.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
Do they still have white phone boxes?

Yep, and as compensation for all those years of free dialup, they have crap broadband.

Cheeky!
250Mbps download and 30Mbps upload? I'm satisfied with that.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
I don't know about those, but I've never ridden over the Humber Bridge. And there's a small village a few miles to the east of Hull where my cousins lived way back back back in the second millennium; I remember the sparks from the shipyard and my inland brain being amazed that the 'beach' was actually on a river not the sea. Apparently they build wind turbine support ships there now. Do they still have white phone boxes?

Hmm... Somewhere to stop in during LEL?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I'm reading Tracey Thorn's autobiography just now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog

University of Hull alumni?

Be great if Massive Attack came to visit.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
No, but she is.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Hull has Spiders nightclub. If you've never been there, you've never truly lived  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

Be great if Massive Attack came to visit.
Oh, now there's a reason: I should go to Hull, from Bristol, to see Massive Attack.  :D I didn't see them when they were playing a couple of miles away this summer (I stayed at home and listened to the Housemartins*).

*Not true, but let's make it so!

Yes we'll be around.  Living an hour's drive away and having fam'ly there...  Like.

We tried to book tickets for NYD fireworks but on both occasions we were about 5000 tickets too late.   Never mind we'll see 'em from somewhere.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Was at Hull Uni 89-92 then worked locally before finally leaving for 'The Beautiful South' in 98.  Moving to a depressed Northern city from a sleepy West Country town was a bit of a culture shock but I came to love it and was sad to leave.  Went back for the first time in ages at Easter this year, yes the city center was a bit torn up but it felt good to be back.  Hope 2017 goes well.

Spiders  :thumbsup:  and the same for The Tower, Bob Carvers, The Piper Club, Hull Truck, the arty cafe opposite Holy Trinity, the cocoa mill (:P) and glue factory (:sick:) smell, walking across The Humber Bridge or spotting it when returning, Gwenap (oohh errr), Falcon's Kebabs, Nelly's out in Beverley, the Adelphi (missed Oasis on their last tour before making it), getting roundly abused by the landlady of The Queen's every week the caving club met there, Hull Brewery Mild, Ray's Place for a curry, Bev Rd Baths, Hepworth Arcade 2nd hand shops...

Sorry, getting all nostalgic and blathering on  ::-)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
Currently sat in the Minerva. (Fantastic beer.) Waiting for Fruit to open so I can go and see the COUM Transmissions event.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
The Cycle Hub does secure indoor cycle parking for £1. Cycled into Hull this evening - nice to have my bike safe while I enjoy a gig. No worries about $expensive taxy ride home.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
I don't know about those, but I've never ridden over the Humber Bridge.

I have and it was bloody windy.  160km into a 600km PBP qualifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgrf_qgdhc
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Trick with the Humber bridge is to use the cyclepath on whichever side the wind isn't blowing from.  Also don't look up at the towers while riding your bike under them (DAHIKT)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The last time I rode over it, it was so foggy I could see neither the tops of the towers nor the river.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
Well, Cosey Fanni Tuttie was awesome. And The Quietus DJ was brilliant. Genesis P-Orridge left a lot to be desired. Thankfully, the Quietus DJ 'headlined'. #dancemusicforpeoplewhodontdance #dj i forgot how much I enjoyed Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV et al. The Fruitspace in Hull is the best gig venue I've been too in a long time

Cudzoziemiec

Trick with the Humber bridge is to use the cyclepath on whichever side the wind isn't blowing from.  Also don't look up at the towers while riding your bike under them (DAHIKT)
So Lee should have used the lee side?

The Wind Stopper string vest, ta.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I lived in Hull once. That was interesting.

I once walked across the Humber Bridge and back. That was also interesting.
It is simpler than it looks.