Author Topic: Radio 4 - PM - Cyclists and headphones  (Read 5676 times)

Phil W

Re: Radio 4 - PM - Cyclists and headphones
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:17:51 pm »
There was a study that measured the external sound reaching the ears of a person wearing headphones and that of someone in a car. The conclusion was that even with headphones in you hear significantly more than someone  in a car.  It is, as already covered, really about what you are paying attention to. On a bike you're immersed in your environment, in a car isolated from it.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #26 on: 10 December, 2016, 08:51:39 am »
I commuted by bike for many years through central London with earphones.
I could hear cars perfectly well, certainly much much better than in my car with music on.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2016, 03:26:41 pm »
There was a study that measured the external sound reaching the ears of a person wearing headphones and that of someone in a car. The conclusion was that even with headphones in you hear significantly more than someone  in a car.  It is, as already covered, really about what you are paying attention to. On a bike you're immersed in your environment, in a car isolated from it.

Is that the same for pedestrians who still walk through the CSH whilst walking man is red and cannot hear my deep voiced shouts of "DONT FUCKING CROSS THE ROAD YOU MORON!"?