Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...  (Read 27246 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »
Oh I see, more difficult because of registration on Saturday. IIRC Teethgrinder may have had an exemption on PBP,

I had to register for him .. carrying authority for that and with his PBP bike for inspection .. while he rode over on a different  one. just can not see us doing odd things like that to suit someone's personal pref. My view is .. you gotta fit the system.. its hard enough for us without too many odd balls.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »
Agreed, you can't be expected to jibble the setup for just one person, and thereby compromise how it works for the 1499 others.

But as I said, if you make the ECE long enough, you get enough extra time that it shouldn't impinge on the normal arrangements at all - and Greenbank's produced an illustration of how it might work.

Failing that, if the team was happy to accept a 3rd party doing the registration and bag drop stuff for another rider (pre-arranged, with letter of authority etc etc), given that I live in London I'd be happy enough to be the 3rd party for anyone who wants to ECE it. (Obviously, not if there's a hundred and three potential ECEs ...)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #27 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:08:04 pm »
Beware. Not all inhabitants of Eskdalemuir are peace-loving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39934489
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:09:32 am »
A question for the novices. How does the waking up at a control happen?

The only time I have slept on a 600km, I used my phone alarm, but I was awake before it went off. I can imagine it would be quite a nuisance if there were a lot of alarms going off all over the place, especially where riders have earplugs in and don't respond quickly to the alarm.

I know on some rides the riders are woken by the volunteers at their requested time. Is that a feature on LEL, or will it depend upon the control in question?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:23:47 am »
I know on some rides the riders are woken by the volunteers at their requested time. Is that a feature on LEL,

That's what happened last time, so I assume it'll happen this year. Really, it's the only sensible way to manage it - alarms are very much deprecated.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #30 on: 28 June, 2017, 11:05:08 am »
Just be careful not to hit the person waking you up... I managed to mentally stop myself when I was woken up after an hours kip at my requested time.... the brain works in funny ways sometimes :D
Regards,

Joergen

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #31 on: 28 June, 2017, 12:17:16 pm »
All controls with beds will have a bed allocating system , with wake up requested  times recorded. 

Individual alarms would be VERY unsociable.. and if you were unlucky you could get lynched

« Reply #32 on: 28 June, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »
All controls with beds will have a bed allocating system , with wake up requested  times recorded. 

Thank you for confirming the arrangements. That puts my mind at rest.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #33 on: 29 June, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »
The PBP movie Brevet has some good footage of the waking up system in practice. I presume LEL is much the same.

Another question: Is there food provided at the start and/or finish?

(I'm fairly sure the answer is either "yes, of course there is!", or "no, of course there isn't!", but can't figure out which)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #34 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
when you register on Saturday .. you will get a ticket for a modest eat pre your start time on Sunday . When you finish you will get a voucher for a once only visit to the grub available for finishers.. not a 3 course meal .. but a little something. We have learnt from 2013 .. that finishers eating needs to be controlled so that there is a little something for all finishers.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:40:43 am »
When you finish you will get a voucher for a once only visit to the grub available for finishers
:thumbsup:. Excellent news.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

cgg

« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2017, 03:29:05 pm »
Looking at the control list I can see that Edinburgh is listed at the 705 km mark for Northbound and 710 km for Southbound. Does this account for a quick tour of central Edinburgh or am I missing something?

(I'm making grand plans of going to see the castle and the sea, all too easy from the comfort of a desk chair...)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2017, 04:34:33 pm »
shows as 710 of 1436 total .. any chance you have an early draft , rather than where we are now

cgg

« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »
I'm seeing 710 in both columns now. Thanks!

cgg

« Reply #39 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:01:12 pm »
Another question. I suppose there's no way of swapping your start time for an earlier one? Asking for a friend...  ::-)

« Reply #40 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »
no

cgg

« Reply #41 on: 24 July, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
Yeah just as he thought...

Will there be "brevet bags" (small brevet card sized ziplock bags) available at the start?

« Reply #42 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:00:36 am »
Will there be "brevet bags" (small brevet card sized ziplock bags) available at the start?

Last time there were really posh ones on a lanyard.   I'm expecting, but not counting on, something similar this time, but I'd be surprised if there was no protection offered for the cards.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #43 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:20:24 am »
Lanyards and a brevet card plastic wallet provided .. very similar to last LEL or last PBP

cgg

« Reply #44 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:05:59 am »
 :thumbsup: thanks for the info!

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #45 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
Non-compulsory controls: I can see Alston referred to on the route sheet northbound but not south, so is it only open for a limited time? And is Coxwold still happening, I see the town mentioned but no control info?

Trying to check the website but the controls page is crashing my phone (fault entirely with ancient phone...).
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #46 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:18:41 pm »
Non-compulsory controls: I can see Alston referred to on the route sheet northbound but not south, so is it only open for a limited time? And is Coxwold still happening, I see the town mentioned but no control info?

Trying to check the website but the controls page is crashing my phone (fault entirely with ancient phone...).

Yes Coxwold is happening

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #47 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:26:10 pm »
Thank you Rachel t.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #48 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:32:20 pm »

... and sticks. Very long "wake the bear" sticks ... :)

« Reply #49 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »

Alston
* This is a dormitory stop only. It is not a mandatory control.
Samuel King School will be open from Monday 31 July at 21:00 until Wednesday 2 August at 12:00
Refreshments available between 22:00 and 06:00 Monday 31 July and Tuesday 1 August