Author Topic: RIP George Michael  (Read 7541 times)

RIP George Michael
« on: 25 December, 2016, 11:04:52 pm »
2016 really is claiming them

Re: RIP George Michael
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:05:18 pm »
 :'(

« Reply #2 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:13:22 pm »
OMG
RIP
 :(

Careless Whisper is one of my all time faves.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:13:51 pm »
For me, this is worse than all of them put together. I'm in bits here.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:18:36 pm »
For me, this is worse than all of them put together. I'm in bits here.
I know how awful that would be for you, Kirst.
I'm so very sorry.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:22:20 pm »
^ wot Jurek said :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:29:07 pm »
Ok 2016 you are grounded go back to your room. And do not come out again before you had a good hard think about what you have done.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #7 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:34:10 pm »
Such a beautiful voice.

https://youtu.be/IPWHkK-_a_A

« Reply #8 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »
"Last Christmas "  for George. What awful symmetry . RIP.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »
Tragic... again.

I thought, ever since he had pneumonia, that all was not well.  Has he been fighting HIV?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10 on: 25 December, 2016, 11:41:35 pm »
Oh for goodness sake  :'(
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #11 on: 26 December, 2016, 12:03:32 am »
RIP an amazing voice.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 26 December, 2016, 12:09:33 am »
^
This.

« Reply #13 on: 26 December, 2016, 01:12:20 am »
Very, very sad.  It certainly makes the solution to the first W clue in the Guardian Christmas alphabet crossword very poignant:-

King leaves Welsh town for a bang (4)

« Reply #14 on: 26 December, 2016, 05:14:52 am »
Very sad RIP

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #15 on: 26 December, 2016, 08:42:51 am »
Tragic... again.

I thought, ever since he had pneumonia, that all was not well.  Has he been fighting HIV?

Heart failure according to reports.  I rather doubt it, you can survive forever on anti-HIV drugs these days.  More likely a result of drug and alcohol abuse I suspect personally.  Still it doesn't really matter now.

Can't say his music really was my thing but he was clearly a major talent, can't like them all.  Careless Whisper was certainly a stand-out and that I do like.  Very very sad.  There still five days left for this accursed year to claim more :-(

RIP George.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 26 December, 2016, 10:57:57 am »
New Year's Eve this year will be a case of "FOAD, 2016".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #17 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
I hope he comes back to a World that's good and Kind to him.

That's two of my four, all time, favourite artists, Bowie and Yog, gone in 2016.
If Andy Bell and Neil Finn don't make it through the last bit of 2016 I'm taking it as a message!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:19:29 am »
As a result of this I've discovered that someone has renamed the road in which I lived in Bushey in 1970-72 to "Farrington Avenue".  I'm going round there with a pot of white paint tomorrow.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

« Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2016, 01:41:58 pm »
As a result of this I've discovered that someone has renamed the road in which I lived in Bushey in 1970-72 to "Farrington Avenue".  I'm going round there with a pot of white paint tomorrow.

We get stuff adressed to 'Farrington', as spellcheck can't cope with 'Farington'. I liked the bass-playing on the early Wham stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deon_Estus

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2016, 02:21:48 pm »
Tragic... again.

Problem is that while it shouldn't matter whether George had HIV/AIDS or not, it does matter because people will wonder and the media will frenzy about it which shows how much there is still a stigma around it and it's a "juicy detail" to hash out endlessly. Lose if you revealed, lose if you don't, lose if you don't have HIV/AIDS...

While the meds are better these days, they don't work well for everyone and people have to be extremely adherent to the regime for it to work. I have worked with adults with HIV who are quite severely disabled by HIV-related or meds-related effects. It is less likely to kill you, but still can. Only takes meds resistance or bad luck, or being too mental to adhere to the regime to become vulnerable.

Another thing which I have seen in the 'Gay' (LGBT - non gay men are erased by histories) communities is the reaction of 'survivors'. I'm about 7 years too young to have been around when AIDS was still killing people with no hope as I didn't meet community people till 1997, but many of the older people had a 'look' in their eyes and a way about them. If you said "plague survivor" people knew what you meant, they didn't have to have HIV/AIDS themselves, many had watched a large number of their friends die. George Michael is part of that generation. 

One of the Guardian's long read articles is about the protest reaction to the HIV/AIDS crisis and the aftermath once people stopped dying, the protest community disintegrated and a lot of the survivors were very badly damaged by the deaths of their friends and the loss of that solidarity with nothing replacing it. The article talks about PTSD style damage and a lot of destructive behaviours amongst survivors. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/29/act-up-aids-new-york-spencer-cox

« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2016, 03:12:48 pm »
Almost every death can be described as heart failure, so that doesn't really tell us much.  Given his age, I'd be very surprised if an autopsy isn't undertaken, and it will very unlikely that we wont hear the results of that, eventually.

Whether it was due to something like HIV/AIDS or drug use or abuse, or something else entirely, is going to be pure speculation at this point.

Whatever we ultimately find out, he seemed to be far too young to die, and clearly will be greatly missed by many people.

I did like this Tweet that someone made about him earlier.  This is how to remember people, by their actions.  He was an impressive singer and songwriter, and whilst I'm not an extremely zealous follower of his music, I did think he was responsible for a remarkable number of memorable and very good songs.

I wrote in a piece ages ago about a celeb I'd worked with tipping a barmaid £5k because she was a student nurse in debt. Was George Michael.

(Sali Hughes is a journalist, writer and broadcaster, she's written in the Guardian, Cosmo, Elle, The Observer, Santé, etc and been involved with BBC TV, Radio, Channel 4, ITV, and Sky.  I had to look her up on Wikipedia).
Actually, it is rocket science.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Re: Barakta's post . A different viewpoint:

Because HIV had such an effect on peoples' lives, and as George was part of that "plague survivor generation", its an important historical detail if he was also a sufferer. That doesnt make it a stigma (although I'd agree that itis a stigma in some eyes).

Of course his health is his own business, but the health - and particulkarly cause of death - of clebs will always be of interest. To fans and haters.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 26 December, 2016, 03:24:46 pm »
From Richard Osman's twitter

"A woman on 'Deal Or No Deal' told us she needed £15k for IVF treatment. George Michael secretly phoned the next day and gave her the £15k."

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/813306084295405568