Author Topic: Dry January - 2017  (Read 7797 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Dry January - 2017
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:02:25 pm »
One day to go
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:42:36 pm »
I'll be pushing on through Feb  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 31 January, 2017, 12:39:05 pm »
I've had two 'passes' this month.

For me, this counts as significant success - I've made a fairly major lifestyle change, restricting drinking to social occasions, and then only when the quality of the beer makes it worth breaking my dry streak, and even then moderation is the overriding principle. Both 'passes' were definitely worth it - evenings out with friends in excellent local pubs each with a fine selection of local beers. On the first occasion, I had a half pint of an excellent Gose before switching to ginger beer. After the pub, we went for a curry, where I stuck to fizzy water - Cobra just ain't worth the hit on my liver. On the second occasion, I allowed myself a second half of stout before switching to lemon & ginger cordial.

I'm hoping I can make this permanent. Maybe I'll allow myself the occasional binge but I feel like I've broken the bad habits I've got into over the last couple of years and don't want to relapse.

Next milestone for me is the follow-up blood test in a couple of weeks, then seeing the doc for the results around a week later. Hoping to see a significant improvement in my liver function.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 31 January, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »
not been totally dry but we are generally cutting down.

We were away for a very smart weekend in a top quality restaurant.  On one of our 3 nights nobody in the restaurant was drinking wine!  I wonder if there is a general move away from alcohol.  certainly my children, in their twenties, are now almost teetotal.

« Reply #29 on: 31 January, 2017, 02:07:36 pm »
I'm still going on my Dry January 2016 although for accuracy it started on Jan 4th as Mrs Moultonaught had over-catered for the new year and it seemed a shame to waste it.  ;D

although not a 'big' drinker I'd realised that I'd always buy the big box of cider cans, not the 4 pack , as it was better value and then coz it was in the cupboard I'd drink it.  1 or 2 each evening or every other day.

In an attempt to combat my middle-aged spread spreading, not drinking has removed the extra day's worth of calories I was consuming per week!  :o   

not drinking has made me realise how much of it was habit. I reckon in the year of stopping I've really missed it no more than 15 times - BBQ'ing without a cider in hand was REALLY odd last summer and the works Christmas do was interesting, but I really don't miss it.

Fizzy mineral water with lime has become my replacement. It's been easier as Mrs Moultonaught now hardly drinks as a result of surgery a few years ago.

good luck to any who are continuuing their dry Jan.  :thumbsup:

.... and I ended the year 4kg lighter than the start despite a really lardy Christmas thanks to my MiL's fab catering!  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2017, 06:51:00 am »
Still going.

By my reckoning, that's about 600 units not imbibed so far this year.

Feeling good! My all-time Dry January record was set last year at the 4th March. Hoping to beat that.

« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2017, 11:22:04 am »
Impressed by these reports! Congrats to all.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
Well done ChrisS!

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:48:21 am »
And beat it I did. 9th of March to beat next year.

Pub, anyone?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 04 May, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
Surprised to read here that 21% of UK adults are – or claim to be – teetotal.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/10-things-know-teetotal/
The actual "10 things you only know if..." seem pretty obvious, but then that's to be expected.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:50:02 pm »
Seems reduced alcohol intake is newsworthy now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39785742

It is something of a relief to read that fewer folk are drinking themselves sick.

The pub trade is suffering.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:34:15 pm »

The pub trade is suffering.

Fine down here.  Though the Country Girl may be stressed.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.