Author Topic: Tomsk's ACME Helpers' Rides 2017  (Read 7662 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Tomsk's ACME Helpers' Rides 2017
« Reply #25 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:20:29 am »
I may well come along for a trundle round on Saturday as I can't ride the calendar event, although I should be able to help at the start.
Barring any last minute changes I'll be joining in. I'm driving the team van to the car park in the playing fields opposite Tomsk's, should see you all just before 7:30....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:41:39 am »
Great helper ride notable for its character building type 2 return leg in to the wind.
I understand it is traditional for the helpers ride to be subject to similar fun whilst the main event is wonderful (as was last years!)

We paused for a few moments before we crossed on of the lovely lanes next to the memorial of 388th bomber group who's airfield the lane runs through and were trying to work out the make up of the stats presented to us on the inscription relating to prisoners, deaths, MIA etc.

Over 400 B17's flew from the base carrying a crew of 10
Pilot   
Copilot
Navigator
Bombardier
Radio Operator
Engineer
Ball Turret
2x Waist Gunner
Tail Gunner   

There's quite a comprehensive website for the group, their first mission even being recorded in Anne Frank's diary.
http://www.388bg.info/servlet/Controller?pageType=detail&dataType=Mission&id=388-M001

ETA: Bike related story...
From 388thBG Winter 2016 newsletter World War II experiences of Charles “Woody” Woodford, 388th Bombardment Group (H), 561st Squadron, tail gunner in Hal Poland’s crew, aboard the B-17G Lady Lillian.:
Charles carried a stove cover (seat protection), a lucky rabbit’s foot and his soon-tobe-wife’s picture in his knee pocket (against rules, but he insisted). He also modified the Tail Gunner position straps so he could sit upright instead of kneeling by using an old bicycle seat, which all helped to accommodate his long frame
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #27 on: 29 March, 2017, 03:27:38 pm »
I would like to sign up for the A&S helpers' ride - as a paying rider as I can't make the calendar event.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:46:17 pm »
And I`d like to participate in the Green and Yellow Fields helpers ride, please.

Does that mean I should enter the calendar event and rock up on the 22nd?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
And I`d like to participate in the Green and Yellow Fields helpers ride, please.

Yes - please enter as normal  :thumbsup:. I'll be riding the 'Helpers' - we can have a curry at the Mogul Friday night if you like? I'll soon be taking curry bookings for the event itself on 6th May...

All helpers/routecheckers - please prod me again nearer the time!
What I really need is a firm commitment from helpers for 'Saxons': 1st & 2nd July - I reckon, judging by last year, we need a minimum of 4 for the start and the same for the night shift.  Sitting in the Angel and Harp for the Arrivee breakfast/brunch/lunch is a really cushy number, but feel free to hang about for that, all part of the fun!

I'll be doing some serious recruitment after Easter.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »

Yes - please enter as normal  :thumbsup:. I'll be riding the 'Helpers' - we can have a curry at the Mogul Friday night if you like? I'll soon be taking curry bookings for the event itself on 6th May...

All helpers/routecheckers - please prod me again nearer the time!
What I really need is a firm commitment from helpers for 'Saxons': 1st & 2nd July - I reckon, judging by last year, we need a minimum of 4 for the start and the same for the night shift.  Sitting in the Angel and Harp for the Arrivee breakfast/brunch/lunch is a really cushy number, but feel free to hang about for that, all part of the fun!

I'll be doing some serious recruitment after Easter.

I might be tempted into the G&Y helpers on 22nd April, but I'll decide once Arrow ridden.  If I do I can trade that for 1st / 2nd as that's the weekend after my 1000 in Ireland. Got a LEL meeting back in York on 6th May so not around for the G&Y event ride.

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 17 April, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »
Now confirmed I can do the G&Y helpers this Friday @ midnight.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2017, 10:51:16 pm »
Interested in a Hereward helpers for route check 7th July but would be nice to do with others as last time we did it we really enjoyed the company on this one. Date looks OK at the moment.... Then could either help with that or (possibly more useful) with the Barons rides the following weekend.

Also possible for A&S helpers for route check...