Author Topic: Bikes on trains rant  (Read 5834 times)

Bikes on trains rant
« on: 26 January, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »
I wanted to double-check that I could take a bike on the Northern line trains from Leeds to Ilkley. So I went to the website

Bikes on trains

Northern is strongly committed to promoting cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transport that complements our train service. Our vision is to 'connect people to opportunities by the most sustainable means' and cycling has an important role to play.
Riiight
That's informative.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Bikes on trains rant
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
Did you click on the (very un-obvious, almost cunningly hiden) link?

Bikes are carried free of charge at any time and you don't need to make reservations.

The cycle space on trains is clearly marked, both internally and externally. Space is allocated on a first come, first served basis.

We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.

Please note: a 'bike' refers to an unpowered two-wheel cycle - it excludes tandems, tricycles, power-assisted cycles and trailers.

(bottom of a filing cabinet, disused lavatory, beware of the leopard, etc.)

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:37:02 pm »
No. It didn't occur to me that the heading, that isn't highlighted, underlined or marked in any way, might be a link. FFS

I was being wary of the leopard.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:43:42 pm »
Gits, the lot of 'em. Death'd be too good for 'em.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
… and if you want to travel with Southern Trains:
"You can turn up with a bicycle, and you might be able to get onto a train with it, but we might not be taking you anywhere with it."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »
To be fair the same is true of passengers...  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2017, 05:56:37 pm »
And all British TOCs, really.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:00:11 pm »

Please note: a 'bike' refers to an unpowered two-wheel cycle - it excludes tandems, tricycles, power-assisted cycles and trailers.
  • a two-wheel cycle - bit of a mouthful that - if only there was a shorter word we could use, something a bit like tricycle...
  • tandems have two wheels ???
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:03:47 pm »
Interesting that they're excluding power-assisted bicycles.  Do you think there's an actual reason for that, other than TOC prejudice?

(I know, ostensibly weight, but there's no reason a lightweight e-bike couldn't weigh less than a gaspipe city bike or fully-equipped tourer.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:06:07 pm »
I'd argue excluding power assisted bicycles could be indirectly discriminatory. How would they know, most people don't know what one looks like.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:09:49 pm »
I'd argue excluding power assisted bicycles could be indirectly discriminatory. How would they know, most people don't know what one looks like.

Low-end hybrid with ALL TEH WIREZ and a massive great battery pack on it, obviously...

And yes.  But you could say the same about tricycles or tandems.  Just specify a size/weight limit, ffs.

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:47:44 pm »
I wanted to double-check that I could take a bike on the Northern line trains from Leeds to Ilkley. So I went to the website

Bikes on trains

Northern is strongly committed to promoting cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transport that complements our train service. Our vision is to 'connect people to opportunities by the most sustainable means' and cycling has an important role to play.
Riiight
That's informative.
You can.

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
Are they excluding unicycles? Do they have to be carried in pairs, zip-tied together?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:00:00 pm »
Of course, longer trains have more than 2 cycle spaces and if you're foolish enough to think that, having successfully transported your bike on the Northern service from Harrogate to Leeds on the 8.10am, you might be able to take it back to Harrogate on the 5.15 you could be in for a rude conductor awakening and face the extra 20 miles or so or a long wait for a non rush hour train

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:25:10 pm »
I've never ever had a problem taking my bike on Northern services, I've always thought they were one of the good guys.

Has something changed?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:51:10 pm »
Not as far as I am aware, the policy is the same as it was five or more years ago.

The Ilkley line tends to be 4 car class 333 EMUs, which have 2 spaces for bikes - one at each end of one of the middle 2 carriages - clearly marked on the exterior. The spaces are of the "hang it by the front wheel (if you can lift it!) and let the rear wheel rattle about in the slot at the bottom" type, which are a pain to get the bike into!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:59:26 pm »
Northern are definitely one of the good persons.

« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:02:43 pm »
I've never ever had a problem taking my bike on Northern services, I've always thought they were one of the good guys.

Has something changed?

To be fair it was some time ago, but I wasn't happy to be refused access by the conductor in spite of the cycle spaces marked outside. Probably improved since then...

« Reply #18 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »

They will have a UCI Scrutineer with a magnet and clipboard who will ask you to strip the bike down and check for a motor in the seat tube.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:41:58 pm »

They will have a UCI Scrutineer with a magnet and clipboard who will ask you to strip the bike down and check for a motor in the seat tube.

And a ban on cyclocross bikes. Just in case.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:45:20 pm »
I use this train line all the time.

The trains take quite a few bikes. Even when the racks are full, I see people standing with them.

Ticket inspectors never say anything.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:11:29 pm »
I've used GWR Bristol to Didcot, just turned up, no issue.

Southend,  Brighton to London same story even though as it was an unusual pleasant day in September and the number of bikes on the train far exceeded the stated capacity.

Chiltern rail - always found the bike space available.

Only time I have ever heard of an issue is when my colleague wanted to go from Brighton to lindon in morning rush hour. He did get on, but fellow passengers were not impressed as the train filled up.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:20:15 pm »

Most (all?) trains on that line are HSTs which officially only take 6 bikes. So you might not be allowed on.

I've never had a problem at weekends, but it's worth knowing, especially at busy times.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:30:31 pm »
Yup, I've been turned away from Paddington (to Swindon) before because all the bike spaces were reserved, and I had to wait for the next train. This was on a Saturday morning after an FNRttS, I think.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2017, 08:27:17 pm »

Most (all?) trains on that line are HSTs which officially only take 6 bikes. So you might not be allowed on.

I've never had a problem at weekends, but it's worth knowing, especially at busy times.
Current GWR policy is that you have to book ahead for HSTs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.