Author Topic: Annoying Win10 "choose default programs"  (Read 1951 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Annoying Win10 "choose default programs"
« on: 27 January, 2017, 10:24:20 am »
I use Opera as browser, and opera mail for my pop3 email.

After Mrs W had used the PC, and complained that Alfie the brainless cat had stomped all over the keyboard, Opera had lost its "Speed dial" settings (sort of quick graphical bookmarks), but had saved them under another name, which I managed to retrieve after an hour of jibbling, but the lingering annoyance is that now every single bloody time I start Opera, the windows settings thing opens up, asking me to choose default programs for various things.  Well, I don't want to change them, they are correct!

Any clues as to how I stop this intensely annoying behaviour?  There is a serious limitation in that Win10 settings thing, as it is incapable of allowing me to look for other programs than those in its little list for each activity.  For email it suggests "mail" which I have discovered means windows mail, not opera mail, and other things I don't want, but not Opera mail.  However it does offer me Opera mail for some other activity, I forget what, which is nothing whatever to do with emails...  I personally don;t care if it doesn't have the correct email prog, as the only time its ever needed is when clicking on a "mailto" link, and I'm perfectly capable of cutting and pasting that into opera mail anyway.  its a rare occurrence anyway.

So, any clues as to how to stop it hassling me, and just letting me use my PC without interference?  I'm actually suspicious this was a surreptitious Window update, nothing to do with blunderpuss.
Wombat

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Annoying Win10 "choose default programs"
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:58:06 pm »
From recent experience your last sentence is probably the answer.

When Win 10 does updates it invariably changes a number of default progs I have set up back to its own settings - specifically downloaded pdfs I have set to open in Acrobat revert to Edge, and a picture viewer I use reverts to something awful from MicroShaft - there are others  :hand:    It also adds a "Contacts" icon to the desktop about once a week  .... a prog I don't want/use.

So far I've not found a way to stop it - but at least I know what happens and can fix it manually - I've also managed to disable (you can't uninstall it) Edge from starting as the default browser under any circumstances (Firefox user here)

Rob

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:44:15 pm »
Yep, windows 10 works very well but it is the most insidious version of windows yet.
I especially hate the way that it now asks for you to use your windows live login when sending feedback/crash reports. I don't create stupid windows live accounts for all my domain joined computers.. so MS can get stuffed!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2017, 12:54:42 pm »
Well I seem to have managed to stop it for now....  by going into the settings bit voluntarily from the start thingy, and asking to set default programs, and an entirely different box appeared and allowed me to set a profile, out of a choice of "custom", "non-Microsoft", and "Microsoft (recommended)".  It was on custom, so I tried "non-Microsoft", and it allowed me to re-choose what opened what.  I then re-opened Opera, and waiting for the annoying box, which didn't appear.  How long this state of affairs will continue, I don't know...
Wombat

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »
Yep, windows 10 works very well but it is the most insidious version of windows yet.
I especially hate the way that it now asks for you to use your windows live login when sending feedback/crash reports. I don't create stupid windows live accounts for all my domain joined computers.. so MS can get stuffed!

Cant you turn that $hit off with GPOs?

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2017, 01:58:10 pm »
I don't know why Windows users put up with this kind of rubbish.

Though I must admit, every time Apple release a new version of OS X they rewrite all the apache configs and break MySQL so I have to spend an hour or so setting up my local virtual hosts and looking up how to make MySQL work again. I know I'm not a "standard" user, but can't they just leave it as it is?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »

They live in hope that Windows will one day be ready for the desktop.   ;)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:36:55 pm »

Not everybody lets this kind of rubbish get to them.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2017, 01:30:44 pm »

If you don't want to get into operating systems, and want to use generally available software and hardware, it has to be Windows or IOS, and Apple is grossly overpriced.

I use Windows, but hate Microsh*t and would never voluntarily buy any more of their stuff. They failed with their smartphones, it's no wonder. At present I'm happy with a Motorola Android phone.