Author Topic: Bodily Weight against Load Weight  (Read 1799 times)

Bodily Weight against Load Weight
« on: 03 February, 2017, 07:01:12 pm »
Done a search of postings but can't find anything specifically to what I am asking. Is there a relationship between body weight and load weight when it comes to the overall weight of a loaded touring bike?

I have lost about 10lbs in weight over the last few months, would that loss of weight feel the same as taking 10lbs off the bike load? Or do the two not equate like that.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: Bodily Weight against Load Weight
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
IME losing weight is even better than just removing weight from the bike because the rest of the "engine" is in better shape.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »
Have you lost fat weight or muscle weight?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2017, 07:44:52 pm »
Much depends on a person's fat distribution and the type of cycling done.

Belly fat does not shift when pedalling but might splint the diaphragm impeding breathing.
Hip fat doesn't budge but might be good ballast for descending hills and resisting a headwind.
Thigh fat is effectively rotating  weight. IMO this makes maintaining a high cadence inefficient.

Cycle luggage is usually less dense than a human body so it offers more air resistance for its weight.

I think of cyclists as 'kites' and 'bombs'.

Kites are thin and have little rotating weight but quite a high surface area; they zip up hills but find headwinds very tiring.
Bombs are slow uphill, fast downhill and are bothered less by wind...

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2017, 08:01:53 pm »
Have you lost fat weight or muscle weight?

I would like to think it is fat weight as my wife says I look a little slimmer but I have no real way to telling.

I am often trying to reduce my camping load weight on the bike, but is that logical if losing weight myself would save the same purpose? Or as I am now getting into my mid-seventies is it neither worth the bother?
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
IMHO BOTH are worth the bother.
I felt I lost strength after losing some weight so it's worth working on strength after losing weight before going on a trip.

You will need to accept you're unlikely to zip up hills with a camping load anyway but carting less weight will mean you can cover more ground in a day.

If you're into wild camping you might get paranoid about having a day's supply of water with you most of the time. This may be one of the heaviest things but I would not wish to go without...