Author Topic: Wild camping on Skye  (Read 1793 times)

Wild camping on Skye
« on: 04 February, 2017, 10:56:02 pm »
I'm sodding off on my own early next month for a couple of days on Skye followed by a couple of days on Uist before heading to Oben for a train home.

I reccon it could be rather cool to have a night camping next to the river Talisker, it being my favorate malt and all.  Looks possible enough on the OS map but it would be good to hear from anyone who knows the area.

Re: Wild camping on Skye
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:55:46 pm »
I know it's nowhere near Talisker but Camusunary bothy is a nice spot. We looked out from playing cards by candlelight to see a large herd of deer walking past to the loch. Pretty amazing to see a deer looking through the window at us.

At nearly the opposite end of the island is the lookout. A bothy that was once a coastguard lookout. Amazing views and you can potter along the trotternish ridge from there with a bit of a walk to the start.

Re: Wild camping on Skye
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »
Talisker Bay is a nice spot although I have never camped there. There is a farm there but you should be able to find a spot above the beach, which is black sand (olivine from the gabbro).  Talisker Glen (Gleann Oraidh on the map) is unfenced rough Sheep grazing land.

If you study the map, it is unlikely that Talisker uses water from that burn, AFAIK they use a spring near the distillery in Carbost.

There is a good bunk house in Portnalong, in a former school and some smaller ones.