Author Topic: Front pannier rack for forks with no fittings  (Read 2252 times)

Front pannier rack for forks with no fittings
« on: 12 February, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »
Hi all

As it says really got a set of steel forks, think they're the early so well over constructed inbred forks and want to fit a set of pannier racks on them. There are no fitting holes not even at the axle. I've done some googling and found bolt on brackets that go on the legs but the racks also seem to have a stabiliser going to hole by the axle which I don't have.

Thanks

Re: Front pannier rack for forks with no fittings
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »
One Man Mountain racks are the expensive solution.
There was a much cheaper copy mentioned in a Freewheeling post on this forum a little while back which someone may be able to find. I think I saved the link but not on this box.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »
GBFO p-clips.   ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2017, 07:32:14 pm »
I've already got p clips holding the mudguards on. Do the racks need the fixing point near the axle as have seen adaptors that bolt on the fork

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2017, 08:01:52 pm »
The best solution is a new fork with right bosses.

After that, lowriders that clamp to the fork legs but you will still need to anchor them to the bottom of the fork somehow.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2017, 08:03:19 pm »
Must be something that fits to the wheel QR, surely?

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:36:03 pm »
Must be something that fits to the wheel QR, surely?

There is a set of low-rider racks designed for shock forks which would work. Comes with a longer QR skewer and u-clamps to secure round the forks. Got some for my wife's MTB. Here it is, works with disc brakes too: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Journey-Suspension-and-Disc-Lowrider-Front-Rack_54656.htm

Seems there is a non-shock forks/non-disc brakes version as well:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Journey-Deluxe-Front-Rack_54653.htm
Embrace your inner Fred.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:47:08 pm »
Old Man Mountain racks, as mentioned upthread, fasten to the wheel QR. http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/old-man-mountain-racks Pricey though.

I had a Tortec front rack on a mtb suspension fork using P-clips at the bottom (which also held the mudguards) and the rack's own clamps, without any bosses, at the top. It was rock solid, but probably being a non-tapered fork helped.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2017, 12:25:50 am »
Freedom Bikepacking used to offer their Limpet panniers (later taken on by Carradice after Freedom went under), which attached to the fork leg and to a metal hoop which secured to each dropout.

Now discontinued, of course. (Unsurprisingly, the first link on a google image search is a post here ...)

« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
Just get some proper forks! A quick Google found a budget vee pair £49 from trend bikes.
Whatever you do make it secure, a front pannier in the wheel is expensive in dental costs. The type of rack with a hoop over the wheel ain't so pretty but much less risky. And with spare forks you can have  touring and bling pairs. Removing the rack by swapping forks is arguably only a little more hassle.

« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »
Tubus do a QR adaptor to fit a rear carrier on a bike without eyelets. There's a drawing on their website, attached below. Using that as an inspiration it would be easy to fabricate a couple of brackets. The longer QR skewer could be made by cutting a rear  to the the right length and rethreading with a  5mm .8 pitch die.  Alternatively just use P clips.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »
Given that these things need custom skewers, I wonder why they bother putting QR levers on them?  I've got a rear rack that attaches this way, and since the skewer has to be removed entirely to release the wheel from the rack, the QR aspect seems somewhat redundant.  Might as well just have an allen head on it.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:13:37 pm »
I have a steel Genesis fork here looking for home... comes with bosses - disc fork but has a crown hole also.
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »

22cm crown to top of steerer.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:28:18 pm »
I've got one of those OMM where the bottom of the rack fits a long QR. Works OK for me.