Author Topic: eTrex 20 broken  (Read 3106 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
eTrex 20 broken
« on: 09 March, 2017, 11:15:23 am »
My eTrex20 fell off the bike last night and bounced down the road.   This time it managed to crack the screen too.  There is no picture, it's broke

Is there a cheap / recommended place to buy at the moment?  I have maps etc already

Re: eTrex 20 broken
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2017, 11:24:47 am »
I've bought two and both times after a lot of shopping around ended up buying from Handtec.  They were also very good when I had a warranty issue.
But before buying, you might consider getting a free quote for the one that didn't bounce
http://satnavrepairservice.com/repair-satnav/garmin-repair/13.html

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »
Try Garmin they sometimes have reconditioned one.

Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton
Hampshire
SO40 9LR
United Kingdom
 +44 (0) 23 8052 4000

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:12:35 pm »
worth upgrading to a 30 if you want navigation? (I've read that only the 30 does the turn by turn beepy thing in Garmin's own manual but CBW)

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:22:00 pm »
And buy a lanyard.  Mine came out once, and just dangled (as they say). 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2017, 03:06:49 pm »
worth upgrading to a 30 if you want navigation? (I've read that only the 30 does the turn by turn beepy thing in Garmin's own manual but CBW)
The Etrex 20 and 30 are identical for navigation features.
You might be confusing it with the Etrex 10, which doesn't do autorouting, and is much more limited for maps.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2017, 03:11:00 pm »

yeah well the homemade lanyard feature was a couple of cable ties.  But I couldn't find the usual reusable cable tie that's long enough before leaving for the pub

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2017, 03:26:33 pm »

yeah well the homemade lanyard feature was a couple of cable ties.  But I couldn't find the usual reusable cable tie that's long enough before leaving for the pub

My lanyard is a length of ribbon from a box of chocolates Mrs P had. It stays permanently on the unit and is tied to the bike with a simple bow knot. It was successfully deployed in anger on the Border Raid audax when I replaced the batteries in the unit but didn't put the back back on properly  ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:04:53 pm »
Garmin offer a previously repaired replacement.  My Etrex 30 replacement looked shiny and new, but the joystick requires rather more force  to connect in one direction than I'd expect on a really virgin item.

You can either get a RTM number online, or phone them up 30 seconds after their published opening time - any later and you get the engaged tone.  I found the Garmin tech I dealt with to be very helpful.

Good luck

Bryn

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:30:28 pm »

My lanyard is a length of ribbon from a box of chocolates Mrs P had. It stays permanently on the unit and is tied to the bike with a simple bow knot. It was successfully deployed in anger on the Border Raid audax when I replaced the batteries in the unit but didn't put the back back on properly  ::-)

Mine was nicked off either an older Etrex or an old camera.

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »
I have one of those lanyards you get on trade show badges on my garmin, few loops round the bars and clip the clip back to the lanyard to stop it escaping if the worst happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:34:10 am »
update

Garmin uk offer a repair service for £74.99 which seems pretty good.  I would guess in the case of my eTrex 20 it's so damaged I'd probably be given a different refurb

But I've decided to buy a new one from handtec instead.  This is £150

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2017, 07:24:13 pm »
I'd go for the refurb. Are you sure that price is for the 30 and not the 20?. The same thing happened to my 20 as yours. I wasn't using a lanyard - learned my lesson. Seem to remember that garmin charged me not much over £60 for a unit that is effectively new. Including return couriered postage. Top class and rapid service and I was kept informed of progress. Top service.