Author Topic: audaxing vegan  (Read 16749 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: audaxing vegan
« Reply #125 on: 02 October, 2017, 04:15:16 pm »
Most cafes offer some vegan options, for instance that cyclist favourite beans on toast. I don't think any vegan audaxers are asking that a commercial control should serve solely vegan food, just that some vegan food be available. The vegan mountain run someone linked to is clearly a different thing entirely, it doesn't use commercial controls (from what I could gather) and is organized explicitly as a showcase of vegan athleticism. I don't know if that would work as an audax as AUK might think it unduly restrictive for an organizer to require that entrants only eat vegan food during the event, though I don't suppose there's actually a rule relevant to it. That's not the same as the organizer only offering vegan food, that seems quite reasonable.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #126 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »
You couldn't possibly have a vegan audax. It would have to have all the controls provided by the organiser , and would thus be inordinately expensive.
Ben:
I think perhaps you should turn off your internet connection after midnight!

"Controls provided by the organiser would be inordinately expensive" - what on earth are you talking about??

On most audaxes most of the controls are commercial. But most cafes aren't vegan, therefore if you wanted all the controls to be vegan, the org would have to provide them all themself, which would be inordinately expensive. It wouldn't be more expensive per control.

Are vegans unable to use an ATM machine?  ???
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #127 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »
On most audaxes most of the controls are commercial. But most cafes aren't vegan, therefore if you wanted all the controls to be vegan, the org would have to provide them all themself, which would be inordinately expensive. It wouldn't be more expensive per control.

Not sure about that (it being inordinately expensive). There's one 200 in the calendar that provides all food within its £16 entry fee. Compared to a £6 Audax with no food provided and riders reliant on commercial controls I'd suspect that most would end up spending more than £10 on the way round. (Of course some will spend less having come prepared, etc).

As with most things, it relies upon the volunteer aspect. If people (particularly organisers) charged for their time then there is no way events would/could be so cheap.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #128 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »
The problem here is NOT vegan versus not vegan. As Vorsprung points out in the original post, when it comes to long events X-rated, it is difficult to find edible food in the night and even more difficult if you are vegan. The solution is not to enter these events. I am not a big fan of garages and 24 H McDonalds, so when it comes to over 300, I carefully pick events where the controls are located so that it is possible to buy food that contains fewer than 10 ingredients. I have to say there is still plenty of choice and more rides than I can afford to do... so it's not a real issue.

Ben T

« Reply #129 on: 02 October, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »
The problem here is NOT vegan versus not vegan. As Vorsprung points out in the original post, when it comes to long events X-rated, it is difficult to find edible food in the night and even more difficult if you are vegan. The solution is not to enter these events. I am not a big fan of garages and 24 H McDonalds, so when it comes to over 300, I carefully pick events where the controls are located so that it is possible to buy food that contains fewer than 10 ingredients. I have to say there is still plenty of choice and more rides than I can afford to do... so it's not a real issue.

The solution is not to be vegan.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #130 on: 02 October, 2017, 06:08:20 pm »
Most Pot Noodles seem to be vegan, even the beef*and tomato one, and garages sell them, as well as hot water.  Other vegan beige food includes chips (as long as not fried in dripping, but that's rare), and most cheaper flapjacks which will use veg oil instead of butter.

*it's amazing what yeast extract can be made to taste like
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #131 on: 02 October, 2017, 06:23:52 pm »
I don't think finding vegan foods on X rated events is that hard.
They might have long ingredient lists but I think I'd supply my own food if I were that picky!

Garage food, by its nature has a long shelf life and this is gained by processing, additives and packaging.

Fresh apples and bananas don't last long!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #132 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:07:42 pm »
The problem here is NOT vegan versus not vegan.

Glad you cleared that up for us!

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #133 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »
The solution is not to be vegan.
::-)

What a stupid, unhelpful and - most importantly - unexcellent thing to say.

« Reply #134 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:24:19 pm »
You couldn't possibly have a vegan audax. It would have to have all the controls provided by the organiser , and would thus be inordinately expensive. You don't really get such a thing as a "vegan cafe" (and before someone links to some concept one in the back of beyond, by that I mean they're certainly not popular enough to find 3 at 50km intervals).

There are at least 2 vegan if not 3 vegan cafes in Sheffield so hardly "in the back of beyond"...

You could easily do a vegetarian 200km, Sheffield - Halifax - York - Sheffield, with 1 info control and all vegetarian cafe's have plenty of vegan food

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #135 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:56:48 pm »
Vegan food isn`t any more expensive than any other. It makes me laugh reading the views of meat eaters on here who obviously have no idea about a vegetarian or vegan diet but are confident in advising Vegans about their diet!

The best meal I had on an Audax was from the vegi cafe in Llanidloes. Such a relief from all the vegi breakfasts from the usual greasy spoons.

« Reply #136 on: 06 October, 2017, 02:42:53 pm »
Vegan food isn`t any more expensive than any other. It makes me laugh reading the views of meat eaters on here who obviously have no idea about a vegetarian or vegan diet but are confident in advising Vegans about their diet!

The best meal I had on an Audax was from the vegi cafe in Llanidloes. Such a relief from all the vegi breakfasts from the usual greasy spoons.

I am a meat eater but I would certainly not wish to contest your view on cost.  This year I am providing a beef based chilli con carne in addition to a veggie version.  The cost of mince was £40 whereas the cost for the dried soya based equivalent came out at £5.  Having to worry about food handling is also a fag, so next year it will be lentil soup!

As for the Llanidloes Cafe, it is certainly excellent. There is another in Machynlleth too.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #137 on: 06 October, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »

I am a meat eater but I would certainly not wish to contest your view on cost.  This year I am providing a beef based chilli con carne in addition to a veggie version.  The cost of mince was £40 whereas the cost for the dried soya based equivalent came out at £5.  Having to worry about food handling is also a fag, so next year it will be lentil soup!

As for the Llanidloes Cafe, it is certainly excellent. There is another in Machynlleth too.

Is the chilli for tomorrow?  ;D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #138 on: 06 October, 2017, 05:28:32 pm »
Audaxing Vegan?  You bloody weirdo!!!

Audaxing I mean.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.