Author Topic: Tweets re-appearing  (Read 918 times)

Tweets re-appearing
« on: 31 March, 2017, 02:57:21 pm »
My twitter feed (in a web browser not using an app) keeps getting the same tweets. On ejust pooped up as a new tweet when it was actually posted 3 hours ago and I saw it then too.
These aren't re tweets just a repeat of a tweet I have already seen sometimes hours before. I seen one from Bradd Jaffy of NBC at least 4 times today,

Any ideas or is this just the sort of thing twitter does? I must admit until the whole Trump as president thing I hadn't really bothered much with twitter so there is a high chance its something I have done.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tweets re-appearing
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2017, 03:04:45 pm »
I suspect that you are getting tweets directly rom Trump himself. :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2017, 03:14:11 pm »
Twitter defaults to a mixture of "top" tweets and the live feed, so it often repeats. You used to be able to just get the recent ones by looking at the "Live" tab, but I think they removed this in order to force you to look at their promoted tweets (i.e. ones Twitter gets paid to shove infront of you).

You'll also see tweets again if someone you follow retweets one, so it may look old but it's been recently retweeted.

I rarely use the twitter website, mostly because of how bad their website UI is.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »
Yup, I think the answer to this, as with so many of Twitter's UI quirks, is "get a decent client".

In a web browser, Tweetdeck is free and is pretty good (and is now owned by Twitter); on iOS I'd recommend Tweetbot as being well worth the couple of quid if you're a regular Twitter user.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
Yes; Twitter on the web is a pile of shit.  Use a proper client (if you can find one; the API is a bit of a moving target, which doesn't help in that respect).

The fundamental problem is that while people have different ideas about what Twitter is for, those who run Twitter have even more different ideas.